Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 02-04-2006, 03:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Making himself throw up

Hi,
My son will be a year old in a couple of weeks. He has a really strange habit that I don't understand. Every time after he is finished eating, or sometimes while I'm feeding him if I don't watch him close enough, he sticks his right fingers into his mouth and makes himself throw up. I have to keep taking his hand away from his mouth or give him a soother to stop him. Why would he do something like this? My older son never did. He doesn't act sick or like anything else is wrong.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

He's a toddler. Why is he doing this? Probably just because he CAN. And he sees that it gets a big reaction from you, so he keeps doing it!
At this age you will not be able to talk him out of it--the only thing you can do is prevent him from doing it. Pay attention when he's eating. When it looks like he's done, get him out of the chair BEFORE he starts putting his hand down his throat. Maybe he wants to end the meal but doesn't know how to tell you. But if YOU end the meal before he does this, then make a big fuss over that! Soon he'll be on to some other mischief and forget all about this.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:07 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I agree with Barb, he does it because he can!

Also, he's probably only within the past very few months recognized that he has little hands. Now he is getting a little control over them. He will either hate the vomiting or grow tired of cramming his fists into his mouth.I wouldn't worry about it at this point. My grandkids did this similar thing. My DD got upset. After a short while they stopped.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Quickly divert his attention to something else, like lets go do this, or look at that. Anything to take his mind off himself. When my daughter was little she would bang her head on the floor and it worked with her. If you get on to them and tell them no at that age that will make them do it even more.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had a niece who did this, if you can not stop him quickly, take him to a doctor, not to scare you but she ended up having to be treated in a hospital, prolonged vomiting (not getting enough nutrients) can cause major organ/growth/learning disabilities in youth and later in life. Don't let it go for too long. Good Luck!