Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Stay At Home Parents

Stay At Home Parents Chat here with other moms (and dads) about children and any other topics that are of interest to you!

Old 11-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi! I'm not sure if anyone still uses this thread but I thought I'd give it a try. I've been a SAHM since 2000. I have two dd's. One is 6 years old and one is 4 years old. My oldest is in first grade this year and my youngest is in preschool 3 days each week. They both keep me hopping, but I wouldn't trade them for anything! I'm thinking about returning to college to get my nursing degree, but right now I'm not sure how I'd have the time to do it. Have any of you gone to college while taking care of your little ones?
Old 11-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi and welcome! I am enrolled in online college while homeschooling a 6th and a 10th grader. I would not advise doing this. It is hard. Could you start out with one class a semester to try it?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Wow! How do you do it all? I don't home-school, but I'm very intrigued with the idea of it. I don't think I could ever get my husband or my family to agree to homeschooling. I do use some of the homeschool websites to print out worksheets for my dd's (www.homeschoolernetwork.com is my favorite for the free worksheets). The school's expect sooo much of 1st graders so I'm always trying to do extra work with her so that she doesn't fall behind. If you have any good homeschooling websites for elementary school let me know.

I'm thinking about just taking one class starting next August. I was going to try to start in January, but I would have to arrange a babysitter for my 4 year-old and I don't want to do that. Next year might be tough also though because we only have 1/2 day kindergarten and the college is almost an hour away so I would have to figure out what to do with her after school. I think the after-school program at the school is pretty expensive and we can't really afford that and my college expenses. I might just have to wait another year until she's in the first grade.

What degree are you working on? I've looked a little at on-line degrees, but most of the one's for nursing look like you already have to have your RN degree and then you can work towards your BS.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am a stay at home Mom of 2 children. I have been a stay at home Mom since 1995. I enjoy being there for the kids. The kids had a great Summer and now they are back to school. I am trying to get caught up on things I put off while they were home for the Summer. Also going to probably volunteer at the kids school this year too. I like to do that besides my hobbies, of scrapbooking both in a book form and digitally, also like to hand sew crafts, bead some times, do liquid emobrodiery designs on things, as well as do geneology from time to time. Anyway, that is some of my hobbies besides the usual house work and yard work, including mowing the grass and growing flowers, I have 2 rose bushes, a crep mrytle bush, a forsythia and various other plants/flowers. I like to be creative. My kids are almost 12 and almost 10 now. Time sure flies by. Seems like only yesterday they were toddlers. I have been a stay at home Mom since my first one was born. It has worked out well for us. I hope you all are good. Take care and God bless.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face

Hi I am a stay at home mom. I am 35 and have 4 children. I have an 8 yr old son, a 6 yr old daughter, a 3 year old son and a 7 month old daughter. The two oldest are in school and my 3 year old just began to do 2 mornings a week at preschool. I enjoy scrapbooking, cake decorating, and baking/cooking. We recently moved to a new state so it has been a bit lonely here while we get to know some people. I am hoping through my children's activities we will meet some new friends. It is hard to volunteer at school because I have the baby at home. I look forward to meeting you all
Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi ladybug4! You will find lots of friendly gals here.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ladybugs, I remember being in your shoes...my Big Kids changed schools the year that my youngest was born, so it was hard to get involved with anything until he got a little older. Does your area have a Moms & Tots group that you can attend?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sad face

Hi there! maybe no one uses this thread any more....

Anyway I am a 30 year old SAHM with my 2 boys aged 3 and 4 years. My eldest starts school in september so I cant wait for possible opportunities to make new mom friends!!

We have just moved and i know nobody here so the isolation thing can be a bit difficult sometimes but i am really trying to embrace being a sahm

Chat soon!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Stephanie and welcome!

Sometimes it's fun to "revive" an old topic and see what happens.

I have 3 children ages 6 to 16. I remember well the isolation I felt when they were younger. Maybe you can find a "mom & tots" group at a local church, or find some other moms to connect with at your library storytime.