Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Holidays & Occasions > Occasions > Gift Giving Ideas > Specialty Gifts

Old 08-06-2002, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Question Welcome to the Neighborhood Gift

A new couple is moving into our neighborhood in a few weeks (I just met her - they're having a home inspection done). When we moved here a few years ago, nobody came over and introduced themselves or initiated getting to know us so we took it upon ourselves and are getting to know some of the immediate neighbors.

Anyway, I remember what it was like moving in and not really knowing anyone, so I want to do something for our new neighbors - like a gift basket, etc.

Has anyone ever done this before - any suggestions?
Old 08-07-2002, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I moved to a different city a couple years ago and I would have loved for someone to come over and introduce themselves! I have thought of some ideas that you could include if they are from another city or others that may work....bus schedule, library hours, local pool/arena information, any local community center information, phone numbers of some neighbours for emergencies or BBsitters, some local resturant menus for take out, nearby drug store info, an invite to a BBQ with some other neighbours. A basket of homemade goodies is always a nice welcome (cookies, jams, muffins etc.) and a cute touch would be a dog biscuit if you know they have a pet! Maybe a meal for the hectic moving days would be much appreciated....spagetti sauce, a package of pasta and a loaf of bread....some buns with meat and cheese on them.... or a basket of toilet paper, kleenx, a disposable camera, dishsoap, paper plates...a few essentials that may be burried while moving.....just a few for now....lots more to come if you need!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle Thank You!

Wow! Thank you for the great ideas! I was thinking about taking over dinner when they move in. But I hadn't thought about inviting them and some other neighbors over for a BBQ! That would be a great way to get to know some of our other neighbors too!

I even have a lasagna in the freezer I could pull out along along with bread and a salad.

Thanks again,
Lisa
Old 08-11-2002, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi:
What I like to do is go over to the new neighbors with a dish of cooked food to make moving in easier on them.
For a gift basket, I would suggest you make a list of all the repairmen you use, all the free happenings in your city, location of good stores and good doctors. When our new Pastor came to the church, I made a list of all the free happenings in the area. He was between two cities, one large and one small. He told me later how much he appreciated my list. They will enjoy the recommendations. You could look at gift baskets online to get some ideas and then make your own.
You are so kind to do this. You know how it feels to not be welcomed to the neighborhood. When my husband got out of the Navy, prior to marrying me, (he was widowed) he and his wife and 2 children moved to Virginia from Hawaii. After 3 weeks of nobody coming to welcome them, or their even seeing anyone out of their house, he was ready to go back into the Navy. He says on the Navy base, everyone is like family. I worked as a civilian on a Navy and later Army base, and I felt like they were family although I didn't live on base. My babysitter was there along with a childcare center. Small world - when I moved from PA to SC, my daughter's lst teacher was related to two people with whom I worked on the Army base. Twenty-seven years later, we still keep in touch.
Let us know what you do for your neighbor and how they receive you.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good for you!
I moved here just 2.5 years ago and not one person came to my door. I know now that my neighbourhood pretty much keeps to their own crowd and this is why. Being a country girl I am not like that. I know most of my neighbours now. At least by name as they are rarely outside. When I speak with them they are surprised that I know the neighbours more than they do and I have been here the shortest time!
You have gotten lots of great advice! The ideas of favourite restaurants, docotrs, activities are wonderful ideas! I remeber when I got here it would have been nice to know what were the best places to go! It would have saved me lots of aggravation trying to find the best hairdresser, restaurant, etc!
I always like the idea of providing a nice meal. I really like the BBQ idea too! It would be a great way for the kids to meet their younger neighbours too!

Good luck! I wish my neighbours had been as sweet as you when I moved in!
Old 08-11-2002, 12:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good for you all!

I had neighbors that DID come over on moving day.

I got brownies and a caraffe of coffee, and casseroles and a gift basket of paper towels and TP, and coupons for the local bowling alley and ice cream place for the kids. It was the beginnings of wonderful relationships!

Th sellers had made up a list of all the local ammenities (shopping places, repairmen, local phone numbers for town hall , etc, and left that for us along with a small plastic moose head ( long story) ).. so our moving day was warm and welcoming.

I've lived here 17 years and have done something similar for each new neighbor that has moved onto the block.

It will pay-off ten-fold as the years go by. You can never have too many friendly neighbors. When the chips are down or the power is out, or you have locked your self out of the house, as I have...it's good to feel comfortable knocking on a neighbor's door and knowing you'll be welcomed. That's what makes a community work!

Old 08-11-2002, 01:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi:
All the stories of being great neighbors and having them are so heart warming. The other night, we went to an Elvis Concert, 14 impersonators, put on by the local newspaper free. They put up 450 chairs. 1,000 people showed up, but we least we knew enough to bring our own fold up chairs.

The couple sitting next to me told me a heart warming story of just moving out of our town to the next town about 10 miles away about 4 months ago. Last week, while moving their boat on the road, they had a flat tire on the trailer. A man stopped, offered help, took them to his house and gave them a tire to "use until they were done with it", no charge. When the man was telling the story, he had tears in his eyes. She'd lived in our town and he'd lived out in the country about 3 miles from my home. He said in all his life, he'd never been treated so well. They sit on their porch and the people in the town walk at night, stopping to wave and talk. They said it is "like going 50 years back in time."

When they close my road to make a new gated community at the end of my road, my community will be like it was 50 years ago. Presently, the pick-up trucks take my road as a short cut and go 65 in a 35mph zone, not caring about the little children in the neighborhood. That will all change when they come to a dead end street 600' feet from my home.! I'm looking forward to the road closing!
Old 08-11-2002, 03:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

Hey! My favorite thing to do is to make a loaf of bread in my bread machine to take to new neighbors. I have heard of people starting an address book for them too with neighbors and local things like hairdressers, etc. I have thought of doing more food, but I am always worried that I will make something with meat in it for someone who is a vegetarian or my oatmeal/honey bread for someone with diabetes who cannot eat it. I guess I worry too much, huh!
Old 08-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just make the food for the new neighbors. If there is a diabetic in the household or a vegetarian, normally not all the household members follow the same diet. I mainly follow the same diet as my husband who is a diabetic, but I can eat something with honey. Just as long as you list the ingredients on the food, there will be no problem.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Y'all...

In the early days of my married life, my husband was moved around a lot by his company....that meant we moved about every 15 months.....We had some really nice neighbors and some not as nice. I remember one little apartment complex where everyone knew everyone and looked out for one another. That was a nice place. They had a rotating committee, that for the new move-ins. they provided meals for 5 nights. That was so helpful!
Eventually each of the tenants would rotate and it was a delightful place to live.

When we moved into NYC for a year, things weren't as friendly.
When a new couple moved in next door to us, I baked and prepared a meal and brought it over after the moving van left.
The woman was extremely grateful but had to decline such a generous gift. Their dietary laws would not allow it. So I apologized, and called a kosher deli around the corner and had
several things delivered ....

She and her husband were ever grateful. They were our best ever neighbors in many ways. We did a lot for each other...

So don't be afraid to show hospitality. IT is always rewarded.
She taught me to make the best knishes and the lightest, fluffiest matzo balls...

Jeannie