Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Fun With Kids > Scouting & Clubs > Scouting (Girls)

Scouting (Girls) Daisies, brownies, girl scouts! Are you a leader or parent looking for ideas, crafts, support? Ask your questions and share your knowledge here!

Old 02-24-2003, 09:39 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mother Daughter Banquet ideas.

Hello Everyone.

I am Co-President of our Ladies Guild at Church. We are having our annual Mother/Daughter Banquet in May. I need help with ideas on what to do this year. Does anyone have any great ideas? We usually have around 50 people.
I already know about the wedding dress idea and the fashion show.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! )
Thanks.
Brenda
Old 03-22-2003, 03:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

mother/daughter banquet

Hi! I wanted to reply about the mother-daughter banquet. I was in charge twice and we had alot of fun. 1st year we had a speaker, one of the missionary wives that was home, and our pastor's wife. I always sent letters out to local businesses..florists for donations...they usually donated baskets of flowers for the table, which were given as a door prize to whoever had a heart underneath their seat. Perfume shoppes donated bottles of perfume...local jewelers...we really go many donations which we raffled off. We also did "name that tune'...I can name that hymn in so many notes....Really alot of fun. Alot of work, but well worth all the effort you put into it.
Good Luck
Old 03-22-2003, 04:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our ladies group has a mother daughter tea every year with a different theme. This year it is "For the Birds". We will have a contest for "the best plumage". We normally just bring finger foods and enjoy a wonderful time of fellowship. We have done many themes in the 4 years I have been involved. Garden party, Hawaiian style, Mexico style. And adjust the foods to suit the theme. Hope you have a wonderful time!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Instead of a regular fashion show we tried a humerous one. We had one section of hats and the girls modeled silly hats that we made. A garden hat (straw hat covered with all kinds of vegetables wired to it), A pillbox hat (a silly hat made out of all kinds of boxes from pills), a ten gallon hat (ten one gallon milk jugs all wired together, etc. We then went to dresses and the girls modeled a moomoo (dress covered with pictures of cows), A-line dress (dress covered with lines of the letter A), a duster (dress with an assortment of dust clothes and feather dusters attached to it) etc. The girls had fun decorating the clothes and hats the week before and keeping them a secret from their Moms and the girls really had a good time making the Moms laugh the night of the banquet. We had each girl model a hat and then a dress so we had about twenty items and a funny commentary about each. The Moms thought they were coming to a serious fashion show so it was a fun surprise. Even the shy girls came out of their shells and hammed it up. We have also had a craft night and we make two or three small crafts and this was a hit.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mother-Daughter Banquet Ideas

Hi! Our church does a Mothers and Others Tea. We found that the women felt more comfortable bringing someone else's daughter if we worded it that way. Sometimes their own daughters live too far away, but they still would like to attend.
We just serve a dessert, but we try to find local talent. Our school has some good singers and a great choir. Check with your local music teacher. Sometimes you can check local craft stores to find someone willing to talk about their craft, quilting or painting , for example. We've also had missionairies speak. Just a few ideas. Hope it helps. Diane
Old 03-22-2003, 08:32 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was thinking having a skin care or glamour party could be neat. I am sure an Avon Beauty Advisor or Mary Kay Consultant would love to help you out. You could just be up front with them about not being pushy with sales. They could just leave their cards with the moms who could contact them at a later time if they wanted to buy anything. I thought the skin care party would be good and even the younger girls could just try lip gloss. I am not really sure how they work with Avon. My only experience is with Mary Kay skin care classes. It could be a nice pampering experience though. As far as products that younger girls could try, I would choose Avon.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

mom/daughter

How cool (lots of work tho)
I have helped plan a few my mom and I did a duet and we had another mom and daughter read a poem together we have had the funny fashion shows and the crazy hats we had an auction once to where the money when either to a missionary/or other needed area...I even adopted a woman for the nite who didnt have a daughter so she could come and women love prizes so for the oldest mom youngest etc gave flowers too
Old 03-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our Mother/Daughter Tea this year is called "Circle of Friends" and it's for mothers, daugthers, sisters, and friends. We sell our tables in groups of eight and the person that buys the table is in charge of selling the eight tickets to her table ($5 each, free for under three) and decorating her own table. The church provides all the table service and the "owner" of the table is in charge of the rest of the decorating. It turns out really nice and everyone enjoys seeing what others do. Some people go all out with fancy flowers and table linens and some do hilarious things like decorating Hawaiian style. Each table is unique and it cuts down on the time the committee has to spend decorating. We have a speaker that comes in and the men do the serving. We always have a lot of fun!
Old 03-25-2003, 10:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mother Daughter Banquets

Those banquets sound like so much fun. I went to one years ago where there was a silly fashion show. Does anyone have the script and ideas for the clothing to go with one of those shows? I'ld love to have one.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

you could do a mini scavenger hunt. This can be done one of two ways, 1. look for clues that lead them to others clues or items.
2. instead of clues questions are used like who was the youngest mother in the luncheon?, or who has the most grand kids? The first pair to finish with the correct answers wins a small prize like maybe some handmade crowns. I also help with Womens Auxiliary at our local Christian college and we will have someone come and give us a demostration on flower arranging or something like that. I would be glad to answer any question you might have
bemaurin@alltel.net