Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Leisure Time > Idle Chit Chat!

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

BOOK DISCUSSION: A Girl Named Zippy

I am opening this thread for those of you who have read this book. I am about 1/2 way through and am enjoying it. I hope to finish soon, but go ahead and discuss.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well I finally finished the book. I enjoyed reading it. I could identify partcially with the author as I was raised in a town of a similar size, located in the Midwest and roughly the same time period. I do think Zippy's family life was much more carefree than mine. Although she never makes many negative comments about her parents, the author seemed to be left to raise herself a lot.
I found many little things that brought back memories of my childhood while reading this book like--- the banana seat on her bike, decopauge, Crochet Pop Can hats, clothing styles, etc.
I think I would enjoy reading the sequel after finishing this book.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm getting ready to read the sequel now.

It disturbed me just how much this child was left to fend for herself. It was kind of scary.

This little girl was born the same year as I was so I did remember a lot of what she mentioned. I know that we were much more independent (running the neighborhood, etc) at a younger age than kids are now, but I was still shocked at the extent that this went on for this child.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Times were different then and I do think children did spend more time on their own at an ealier age than now, but I think reading between the lines Zippy had a very disfunctional family. I think they seemed happy and loved and probably thought their life was very normal at the time, but looking back as an adult there were some not so normal behaviors by the parents. There were a couple of references to her father's drinking. One time Zippy's sister asked if her Dad was was still drinking and Zippy answered that he only did that when he went to work. When they were talking about the Great Depression, Zippy figured she knew all about the depression, because her Mom sat on the sofa and read books all day.
I know you have posted the name of the sequel, but I seem to have forgotten it--Please post it again.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The title of the sequel is "She Got Up Off the Couch." I haven't peeked into the book yet. Wonder if it's referring to her mom's behavior.

I know I can get so lost in a book that dinners are late, etc....but that really was extreme.

You're probably right about her thinking that things were normal. I think most kids DO think that the way they live is normal, until they get out into the world a little and see that others live differently. (It's just like eyesight. I had vision problems as a kid and never realized that they were problems until I began corrective treatment!!)
Old 05-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just completed She Got up off the Couch and I enjoyed it as much as A Girl Named Zippy.

I can't help but feel sorry and proud of this girl all at the same time. Great books!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I finished reading this book and also enjoyed it. I personnally think the author was giving us insight to a community that was not necessarily the norm in its self. The fact that it was predominetly a Quacker faith is in itself a different way of life. I know she was on her own quite a bit but as you have all said the times then were more carefree and children did run a little freer than the kids of today. the community was very small though so I am sure everyone looked out for the young ones. I think that the reader is also telling the story through her eyes as a child and how things seemed much more at that age....you know we all have memories of an event where as a child we thought it was the worst thing ever but when we look back as an adult it was not that big a deal. The fact that she was so much younger than her siblings probably accounts for her freedom and her parents disregard at times. Not that this is right but it could be part of the reason. I have the sequel sitting here to read so will start into it.

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson