Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home

Around the Home Leaky faucet? Ants? Looking for tips to help around your house or want to discuss budgeting? Here you'll find household tips, decorating and repair ideas, as well as plenty of money advice.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bar of soap for pain

Who on the forum uses a bar of soap at the foot of thier bed to get rid of pain?

Sounds obsurd but it has worked for me.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good morning all, Dawn what soap did you use? At this point I am up for trying almost anything. Happy Sunday all
Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I read on the internet that a bar of soap unwrapped and placed under the fitted sheet at the foot of the bed would stop leg and foot pain, but it has reduced my lower back pain that I had for years. I also read that any bar could work but not dial or dove.

Can't figure out why the soap may work except that maybe it grounds the electrical build-up in the body. I don't know just guessing.

My lower back pain was so bad at this point that I had trouble at times getting out of bed. I still have a small amount of pain with my ribs at night sometimes, but not to the extent it was.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 10-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Dawn...Thanks for bringing it to our attention been seeing it even on taste of home forums.
Worth a try to see the results. Should have a poll.

Slipping a bar of soap into the bed as a leg cramp prevention has been advanced by a number of authorities, both medical and otherwise. Ann Landers has mentioned the soap cure in her column on a number of occasions, with each airing prompting a load of letters from readers thanking her for this information because it worked wonders for them. "They were thrilled and grateful to be liberated from those leg cramps," said Ms. Landers.

As to how this works ? or even if it does ? we're still in the dark. Perhaps soap releases something into the air that is beneficial to those
predisposed to this condition, with the bedsheets working to contain the helpful emissions to the area where they are needed. Or perhaps this is a case of believing making it so ? the soap itself has no effect, but the sufferer's faith in the procedure serves to effect the miracle.

Yet skepticism aside, for those subject to noctural leg cramps, this bit of folk wisdom is clearly worth a try, in that the only potential downside is their having to share their beds with slivers of soap. (Well, that and having their spouses think them a bit loony.) As to what sort of product and where to place it in the bed, although some who pass along this bit of housewifely lore indicate specifics such as the soap's having to be unwrapped or not be a specific brand (Dial and Dove are often mentioned as bars to eschew), those who swear by the procedure have had success whether they used large bars or the small ones commonly found in hotel rooms, whether the cakes of soap were wrapped or unwrapped, and whether the afflicted leg was rested on top of the soap or not. As for which brand is best, cautions against Dove and Dial to the contrary, they all seem to work about the same.
_______
Sueanne
Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Thanks Dawn and Sueanne, just put 3 bars across the bottom of my bed under the fitted sheet. Sure hope it helps, I too have lower back pain really bad. Have had shots in it but they don't last for long.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:41 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This is a interesting topic... as some of you may know I make soap and belong to several soap groups and this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing, to be sure I will posting the information as a inquiry to my groups to see if anyone knows more about this.

Anna
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I originally put the soap in the bed to help my husband's toe cramps, I was not even thinking it would work on my lower back, but by the next morning my back was better. It took a little longer for it to work for my hubby, but now when he gets a toe cramp in the middle of the night he puts his foot directly on the bar of soap, he says it helps.

Blessings,
Dawn

Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have gotten a couple responses so far that they have heard of this, one lady said a Dr. Gott talks about it alot. I don't know who he is but am waiting now for her to respond with more info. it's a little late in the evening so most folks are probably curled up watching a movie or getting ready for bed so it may be tommorow before I get more info.

Anna
Old 10-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am off to talk to dd about this! Her pain is in her chest but why not try it?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna, I think that might be the doctor who has a syndicated column in the newspaper. I have seen it mentioned--keeping a bar of soap under the sheets at the foot of the bed to prevent leg cramps. I think he basically said that "no one knows why this works but it sure beats having to be in pain or take painkillers for the cramps."