Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Recipe Exchange > Appetizers, Dips & Spreads

Appetizers, Dips & Spreads Ton of recipes for finger sandwiches, crackers and dips, plenty of spreads and appetizers. Please share yours with us!

Old 01-13-2003, 07:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Any appetizer or snack recipes that do not need to be heated or refrigerated?

Hello Everyone! I am going to attend a conference this weekend and need to bring a snack. I wanted to bring something different then the traditional chips, candy and desserts that everyone else will bring. I will be at a hotel so there will be no way of heating or refrigerating the snack. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-19-2003, 06:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

The only thing I can think of is that I have seen shelf stable meals, like tortellini that you could add maybe a can of chicken and mayo to and make a chicken tortellini salad. Or you could do Italian salad dressing and it would be Italian chicken tortellini.
If you take small jars of anything that is unopened like mayo, or canned chicken, you could mix to use it in a short period of time without fear of contamination, I would think.
You could also mix canned fruit with say cut up pieces of a small pound cake and make a desert mix. That's all I can think of!:p
Old 01-19-2003, 07:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How about candied walnuts? Or, maybe some desert items like brownies or rice krispie treats (everyone seems to love those, and remember their childhood); For the holidays I made a really easy candy - it has to be chilled when you make it, but can last outside the fridge for a long time:

1 lb. of white chocolate- melted in double broiler or in the microwave. Add 1 cup of slivered almonds, and 3/4 cup of crushed candy canes or peppermint candies. Mix together, then spread on parchment paper and chill. After fully chilled (I did it overnight, but a few hours should do) break it into bite sized pieces--like bark candies.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Room Temp Snack

I take a pound of bacon, fry it up and crush it into little bitty pieces, a package of cream cheese, and a package of sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups). Two cans of whole jalapeonas (spelling) and cut them in half, long ways, scrap out the insides. Mix the bacon, cream cheese and shredded cheese together really good and fill the peppers with it. It's wonderful and they're addictive. You want to have them at room temperature. That's when they're the best.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Veggies do ok, but the yummy dips that go with them don't. Lots of desserts can go a long time at room temp. Have you considered bringing a small cooler to keep some parts cold up til the last minute.

Hope your weekend was lots of fun! dawny
Old 01-19-2003, 11:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi
What about salsa and chips or nice homemade cookies to go with coffee and tea. Just make your cookies or even buy them at Walmart or someplace like that when you arrive at your destination. It is easier than having to transport and have either broken cookies or worse broken chips. Either could be bought when you arrive and you can have the people who are there at the end of your conference can take some back to their rooms for a snack later on. That way you aren't left with some you don't want. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:55 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for all the great ideas! You guys are great! I hope to get to know you all better in the future!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:48 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

snack recipes

Here are a few recipes

Caramel Corn

1/2 C. butter or margarine
1/4 C. corn syrup
1 C. brown sugar
9 to 11 C. popped corn
1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla

Combine butter, corn syrup and brown sugar in 2-quart batter bowl. Microwave on high until mixture comes to a full boil. Stir. Microwave on high for 3 minutes more. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour mixture over popped popcorn in brown paper bag. Shake. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Shake. Tear open bag and pour onto waxed paper.
-----------------------------------------------------
Barbecue Snack Mix

3 cups bite-size crispy corn-rice cereal
2 cups bite-size cheddar cheese crackers
2 cups oyster crackers
2 cups miniature pretzel twists
1 cup whole natural almonds (optional)
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons barbecue seasoning mix
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 250°F. Combine cereal, crackers, pretzels and almonds in Rectangular Baker; set aside.

Place butter in small micro-cooker; microwave on HIGH 1 - 1 1/2 minutes or until melted. Stir in seasoning mix, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour evenly over ingredients in baker. Stir gently until well coated.

Bake 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Pour out onto large sheet of Parchment Paper to cool. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

Yield: 9 cups (18 servings)
--------------------------------------
This one is fun to watch people eat because they are not sure what it is
Fried Dill Pickles

1 cup cornmeal

2 eggs beaten

2 1/4 cups flour

1 cup milk

1 Tbls. worcestershire sauce

1/2 tsp. hot sauce

3/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. Mrs Dash seasoning

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

3/4 tsp. cayenne

1 Qt. sliced drained dill pickles

Oil for frying

salt and pepper to taste

In one bowl combine 2 eggs, 1/4 cup flour, milk, worcestershire, hot sauce, cayenne, Mrs. Dash, and garlic powder. Mix well.

In another bowl combine the cornmeal, 2 cups of flour, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Heat oil in fryer to 350.

Dip drained pickles into milk mixture; then dredge in flour mix.

Deep fry until golden or pickles float to the top.

Salt and pepper to taste.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OMG, I am so trying those fried pickles! Dang, that sounds good. I have been in the mood for pickles lately too. And no, it's not what everyone is thinking right now. HeeHee!!

www.jorabeels.com
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The first time I had a fried pickle I love them! Glad they were Dill or sour pickles!MMmmmm

I make pinwheels from a basic recipe and add what I like. Everytime I'm asked to bring something in the way of finger food these are always requested.

Pinwheels
1 pkg. 10" tortillas (plain for sweet, flavored for anything else)
16 oz. sour cream ( I use the light not no fat)
8 oz. light cream cheese or Neufactel crean cheese
Beat these together until smooth. This is the base.

For Chicken #1:
1 can chicken, drained well (apeox. 13 oz. can)
1 pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix
1/3 cup minced black olives
1/3 cup minced sweet pepper
4 green onions minced including tops
mix in the dressing mix then veggies. Can add to or leave out anything you don't like. Chill for 1 hours to let flavors mingle. Spread on tortilla (not too thick) and roll up. Chill until serving time, then slice 1" or 1 1/2 " and arange of plate

For Chicken or Ground beef / turkey
1 basic recipe
3/4 cup salsa (mild or hot)
13 oz can of chicken or 1 lb. cooked & drained lean ground beef or turkey. (If using turkey add 1/2 tesp. ground cumin)
4 to 6 green onions minced or chopped very fine, including tops)
2 Tbsp. minced jalapeno (from a jar)
1/4 cup minced and seeded tomato
1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar or co-jack cheese.
Mix salsa into basic recipe. Blend in remaining ingredients. Chill for 1 hours to let flavors mingle. Spread on tortilla (not too thick) and roll up. Chill until serving time, then slice 1" or 1 1/2 " and arange of plate.

Sweet Pinwheels
1 basic recipe
1 can of cherry, blue berry, etc. pie filling
2 tbsp. powdered sugar or Splenda
1/2 tesp extract to match your "filling"
I usually put everything in the food processor and blend. You can do it with a mixer also but you have bigger lumps You can also add finely chopped nuts.
I have to go make some for a Christmas party tomorrow. They want peppermint! HMmmmmmm I think I'll use crushed candy canes and mini chocolate chips! Merry Christmas

Vivian