Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Your Health Need a place to ask health related questions? This is it!

Old 12-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Heat stoke

Anyone here knows the symptoms of this?

Did you ever have a heat stroke?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Symptoms of heat stroke: feeling overheated, body temp going up over 100, heart palpitations, fatigue, shortness of breath, clammy feeling to skin, pale complexion. This is serious. A person with suspected heat stroke should be taken immediately to the ER. My daughter had one in a hot car on the way to the mall. She rested at the mall and wanted me to take her home. I didn't realize how serious, even fatal, they can be and took her home. She recovered, but we were lucky!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had this happen to me several years back when we lived in Texas. We drove for too long in a convertable with the top down.
I had all the above mentioned effects. We were on our way to a lake to go out in our boat. I was too sick to go but the wonderful people that ran the marina took me to their little home and let me rest on their couch for a while in the air conditioning. By the way I also went through terrible sweats once I started to cool down.
Didn't realize how serious this could have been. It took me a couple of hours to feel better.
Kept the top up on the way home and drank water/ice the whole way.
I would hate for this to happen to anyone.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just saw this posting and thought.."heat stroke in Dec?' But seeing that you live in FL and that the Question was posted in April.. I got it..

There are several stages of heat emergencies that a person can experience. Heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke is the typical progression.

Heat emergencies are dependent upon not only the ambient temperature, but the humidity level too. The body has to be able to cool itself, and the more humid it is, the less able the body is to cool off.

Heat cramps are the first sign of a heat emergency. Thirst, sweating, fatigue and cramping of the muscles,especially abdomen. First aid is to stop activity, go to a cool place, and drink cool, non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated fluids.

The next stage is heat exhaustion. This evolves into Extreme fatigue, Nausea, vommiting, headache, extremely pale skin, profuse sweating and extreme thirst and a rise in body temperature.

First aid is again, stop activity, go to a cool place, drink cool non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated fluids if tolerated. Remove sweat-soaked clothing and apply cool compresses.

It can take several days to fully recover from a bad case of heat exhaustion. It's not something to be taken lightly.

If the victim refuses to drink fluids, or becomes agitated or confused, this is a sign of impending heat stroke. Call 911 and begin to rapidly cool the victim.

Heat stroke is a rare, but life threatening emergency condition that occurs when the body's cooling mechanisms fail, due to swelling of the brain, secondary to overheating.

Sweating stops, the patient becomes disoriented, refuses fluids, and usually becomes unconscious. The skin is dry can appear extremely flushed and hot. The body temperature rises over 102*, often as high as 106*, the pulse and breathing both become shallow and rapid. Seizures can follow.

A patient who is in Heat Stroke is in danger of imminent death. First aid is beginning rapid cooling of the vivtim, initiating the 911 system and preparing to begin CPR.

Heat stroke is most common in the elderly, and those who are active in extreme heat environments.

The situations you ladies mentioned in these postings were both examples of heat exhaustions. Heat exhaustion can be a serious heat emergency and can leave you very ill and frightened.

Many people refer to heat exhaustion as "heat stroke" but they are not the same. Heat Stroke is a true life threatening emergency that requires hospitalization to reverse it's effects. Most people will not survive heat stroke unless immediate cooling is begun and transport to a hospital to provide life support is initiated.

Contact your local chapter of the American Red Cross for information on a Basic First Aid Training Course.

As a Paramedic, I was also an Instructor for the ARC and the AHA for over 15 years. I did training for professionals and lay persons, and I think everyone should know the basics of First Aid and CPR.

If there was ever an emergency involving someone you love... chances are, YOU"D be the one with them.. It's better not to feel helpless while waiting for help to arrive... Take the course, learn to save a life.

Val

Last edited by Lifestar; 12-06-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the information Lifestar. You told us some important stuff!
Old 12-06-2003, 04:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lifestar your information was very interesting. About 7 years ago my husband and I were out what we call 4-wheeling (riding ATV's on old and new logging roads) with a bunch friends.
It was not an overly warm day but in the mid afternoon we had stopped to pick some blueberries when I started feeling sick to my stomach, light headed and feeling a headache coming on.
I thought I had had a heat stroke. Ever since then I can't be in the sun for very long without feeling 'funny'.
Makes it hard as I love to be outside enjoying gardening and such.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

As a former ER nurse the summertime brought a few boating accidents, removal of fish-hooks, and the like and lots of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Most people who have suffered a heat stroke will always have problems with overheating. There are 3 stages to heat stroke (like the 3 stages of burns). When someone is not sweating it is time to get them into the shade and hydrate them ASAP no matter how they feel. I have seen people who go unconcious and never felt bad, just a little tired. Salty snacks are a good idea for any outing as they make you thirsty and you drink more. A lot of people don't realize that drinking beer, sodas, coffee, and tea are dehydrating. Water is your best bet. Anytime you are outdoors (even if you don't think it very hot) always drink lots of water. Some people are more susceptable to heat problems; the elderly, diabetics, people with blood pressure problems, nursing mothers, and those recovering from an illness. The most obvious sign of heat problems and one of the worst is when a person stops perspiring. I got this out of a nursing book:

Stage 1= not feeling well, weak, paled skin, tingling in extremeties, dry mouth, not urinating, dizziness, becoming incoherant or less aware of surroundings (not good)
Stage 2= nausea, clammy skin, vertigo, rapid breathing and heartbeat, rising fever, and muscle cramps (bad)
Stage 3= vomiting, shallow breathing, heart palpitations, high fever, dry skin, unconciousness, and siezures (dangerous)
CPR may be required

First Aid- rehydrate patient, and cool skin with water hose or some source of water, have them sit or lie down in the shade, if ice is avaliable put ice packs under armpits, back of neck and groin area (each side of pubic bone) This is where the blood is closet to the outside of the body, and can be cooled fastest. Cold cloths can also be used but must be cooled repeatedly to be of any help. Try to keep patient alert and responsive. Once someone has hit stage 2 call for assistance (911) or transport to hospital. Stage 3 can come on very fast and is deadly! The best treatment for heat problems is to avoid them, drink lots of water and cover your head from direct sun, avoid strenuous work during the heat of the day.
God Bless, Brenda

Be Cool!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Brenda- Thanks for the great explanation of the 3 Stage of Heat Stroke.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

to all

I am asking the about questions because lately I have been feeling kind of sick. I have a very active thyroid problem and very hyper. I started noticing this when I was riding my husband’s car. He has no proper air-conditioned. I was driving his car and was very hot. I started feeling like I was running out of air and my throat-started feeling like dried. I thought I was just my thyroid problem. I opened the window and was gasping for air. Luckily I was closed to home already. I drank some cold water this seems to help. This incident has been happening before. I thought I have a heart problem because my mother has a heart problem. They did and heart test and it was fine. So, I just ignored it. I was told to exercise at least three times a week and thirty minutes a day. A month ago, I was doing cardio-vascular for thirty minutes and was all sweating and really don’t like drinking water. I had two more minutes to go and I started felling sick to my stomach. I did not stop because I only have two more minutes to go. I finish and my stomach feel worse and I controlled my breathing so I could go into the bathroom and not on the floor at the gym. I managed to get to the restroom and was down on the floor and my sweating got worse and I was puking. The bathroom gym is always cold and this had helped. I was down on the floor for about 10 minutes and my body started to feel better. I went to get my bag and went home. I did not even bother to finish. I ask my husband about it he said that I was having a mild heat stroke and to keep drinking water while working out. I ask him about this after I saw the movie called “The Junction Boys” one the player had a heat stroke and they had to bury him in ice. As of this moment when I feel like my heart is running out of air I just go in the kitchen and drink water. This happens when I spend more than 10 minutes in front of the copying machine. I thought I am getting radioactive or something. LOL

Thank you for this very helpful information.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Luz-

Don't look here for medical advice... That's way off base.

You need to run these symptoms and scenarios by your doctor.

The incident at the gym,,, could be heat related, or could have been your something else entirely... What you described are also symptoms of a heart attack. There isn't always pain...

You need testing to make a diagnosis... no one can just give an "opinion" as to what is going on with you.. not even a medicaly trained professional can do that from postings on a website.. you need a medical exam.

Water can't hurt, but it won't cure everything...

Take care of yourself... see your doc, and feel better.

Val