Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Your Health Need a place to ask health related questions? This is it!

Old 04-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kidney stones

I have had a bout with kidney stones these past 6 days.
I have never had this happen before and,let me tell you, the pain is a killer.
I've been to the ER twice this week and as any of you nurses out there know, morphine is a Godsend.
The pain and the nausea were constant for 4 days and yesterday I was put on a stronger pain med and right now I am feeling no pain. This med is either a miracle or I passed the stone overnight. I pray for the latter. If the stone does not pass on it's own in another day or 2 it will be removed by laser/or surgery.

Does anyone know what the causes or preventions are? I do not want to go through this again.
Thanks,
peace,train

Old 04-29-2003, 06:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I can definitely relate! I had kidney stones last August - the day before my dd started Kindergarten!! :mad: It was THE most painful thing I've ever endured! Give me childbirth any day!!!! I actually think I got Demerol which helped me tremendously.

I believe there are many different causes, however I think mine was from calcium. Actually, from taking antacids with extra calcium. This, combined with not drinking enough water, is what I feel led to my stones. This was not confirmed by a doctor, it was just my research. I was blessed because I apparently passed them a few hours after the onset of that MISERABLE pain!

Hope you're doing well, I am so sorry for what you've been going through. Also, it's good to see you here again. I haven't been able to get here as often so I'm sure I've just missed you!

Blessings,
Angela
Old 04-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Donna--been there myself on 3 different occasions--the first being the worst of ANYTHING I've ever experienced. I thought I would surely die and afraid I wouldn't.

On my third attack the doctor told me eating an abundance of fresh veggies and drinking too much iced tea can cause these! Granted this was a military doctor and I don't have a lot of respect for most but this is what he said. The best thing to do is ask your urologist (you are seeing one I hope) what he suggests.

I will always believe my first attack was brought on by taking OTC diuretics. I abused them plain and simple.

The second attack, was told stress can play a factor and yes I was under a lot of stress at that time.

Good luck and I pray this passes. I know all too well the pain and agony of these attacks.

God bless
Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 04-30-2003, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The stone did indeed pass and so I am going to live. You girls are right, the pain was just unbearable and so totally out of nowhere. From what you both have wrote, I don't take calcium supplements or Tums, so that is not a problem. I DO drink tons of tea and soda though and was dehydrated when I went to the ER. I have never been a big water drinker but I will do whatever it takes to not have another one of these attacks again.
And if it DOES happen again I have given Mark permission to shoot me!

Thank you, both, for your words of encouragement.
and this too shall PASS....

peace,train
Old 04-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I know this permission well! I was begging someone to help me when I had my first attack. The only thing I can say good aobut mine is that each successive one was a little easier--not nearly as painful. This is a GOOD thing since the second one went on for several days.

Do you have anyone in your famly who has a history of kidney stones? After my first I asked and it turned out my paternal grandmother did. I then passed this on to my oldest dd. I can think of lots of things more fun--such as teeth drilling with no medication.

So glad to hear it passed!

Jayne

Old 04-30-2003, 11:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Kidney troubles are misery for sure. I went through a four-year period in my mid-twenties where I would have "attacks" that would send me to the moon. My husband even had to take me to a clinic on the Outer Banks at about 2 a.m. for a potent dose of painkillers and antibiotics. Then a friend of mine had to rush me from the movie theater to the doctors. By time I got there I couldn't walk. They had to come to the car with a wheelchair. And trust me, I'm an otherwise healthy person.

The good news is that several years later, childbirth was like a walk in the park! They never did find out exactly what was causing the problem, but one doctor did have me get a sonogram to be sure that I didn't have any blockages. It turns out that I didn't, but it might be something to look into.

Good luck!
Janeen--a survivor
Old 04-30-2003, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

kidney stones

I think there are many theories as to what causes these dreadful things, some of them contradictory to each other. My DH and I have both had them. Mine was a single occurance almost 20 years ago. He has had 3 in the last 10 years. I think the biggest thing I do that he doesn't, is I drink lots of water through out the day. By lots I mean atleast 8 glasses or more.

I think I also read somewhere that something in cranberries helps prevent the deposits from forming. Drinking cranberry juice might help (not the Ocean Spray kind - it is mostly sugar and water), or I think I have seen supplements at the health food store that are cranberries in pill form (I may have seen them at Walmart, also). You might want to check into that. I wonder if anyone else has heard this also.

As painful as it was, you can be thankful you are not a guy! I have been told a stone is even more painful for men than women. It is the closest they will ever come to experiencing the pain of childbirth

Jane
Old 04-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You know I've heard that same thing aobut it being more painful for men then it recently occurred to me, how do they know this? How do they measure pain? I can't imagine a man being in any mroe screaming pain than I was.

To compare it to having a baby is extremely accurate and any man who has a kidney stone whould really appreciate what a woman goes through now.

Jayne

Old 04-30-2003, 03:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

At one time I worked for a urologist who said that the pain associated with a kidney stone can only be compared to labor pains experienced during childbirth!! I have never had this problem (kidney stones) but those of you who have, can relate to this statement. As to the causes of kidney stones, if the stone can be analyzed, then you can get an idea of what type of stone it is and your Dr. can tell you which food products, etc. to stay shy of. Hope all is well with you now!!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

kidney stones

nagymom,

I always assumed it had something to do with the male anatomy that made it more painful. But then, maybe it is just that men are such babies when it comes to pain. Maybe they just make it seem worse

Jane