Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I did try the ZzzQuil last night and woke up only once to use the bathroom, then went right back to sleep for a total of 9 hours but could have almost slept another hour. So far I don't feel drowsy like with melatonin or Benadryl. I don't want to take something every night but it's hard to get by on 4 to 5 hours every night when I still work full-time.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT aPRICOT. OooopS1 forgot cap lock was on. Melatonin does not work for me at all. It is rare I sleep more than 2 hours straight but did 5 last nite.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Well, I guess I will put my 2 cents worth in.

I have always been a night owl except when I had kids at home and had to get up early.
I used to go on the computer at night which was the worst thing to do as I would be up until 5 or 6AM Then I would sleep all day. I had my days and nights turned around.
It was very hard to get things back the right way.
Now I very seldom go on the computer in the evening and when I do, I know I have to get off by midnight. The screen fools the brain into thinking it is daylight and you should be up. The same thing happens when watching TV. But for some reason the TV has never bothered me and I can fall asleep watching it early in the evening.
It takes an hour to settle into the night time thinking.

Experts say you should be in be by 11PM as that is when melatonin is released. Also you should have a bedtime routine. And you should get up at the same time every day.

I never get up at the same time every day. Sometimes I am up before 7 and other times not until 10 or later.

I now read at night after dh goes to bed at 9PM. I think he is sleeping before his head hits the pillow.
I also have something to eat shortly before going to bed. A banana if I have any.

Another trick to clear your mind is to give yourself 10-15 minutes early in the evening to go through your day and get rid of any stressful thoughts. And if you have been thinking of something that happened a month ago or whenever, get rid of those thoughts also.
When some of us lay down to sleep, our minds start going a mile a minute and this is supposed to stop that from happening.

I have tried sleeping pills and nothing has worked. Not even prescribed pills.
I hope we all have a good night this evening.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Sharon you are so right thoughts flash back and forth once I am trying to sleep.
I say my prayers and do my best to block out the other thoughts that are plaguing me. Some times it works other times no way.
I too hope we all sleep well tonite
Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Patti & Sharon I agree, I repeat prayers until I fall asleep. I think any thing repetitive would work

Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Patti, The ZzzQuil just came out recently. It did seem to help but I wouldn't want to take it every night.

Repetitive things don't help me. Counting sheep or anything else stresses me out more since I hate numbers. Sometimes I pray and can pray almost all night for everybody that comes to mind. With reading it depends on the book. Watching TV doesn't keep me awake but it would keep dh awake.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Thanks Apricot, TV or any noise would keep me awake. Praying helps me "calm
down" if I am upset about anything. I read a certain length of time and put the book up. Then do my praying and then
hope I go to sleep. I slept 4 straight hours last nite.