Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Swine Flu

Just would like a little guidance please

My daughter went to school residential sunday (5/7) till wednesday (8/7) all was well, she thoroughly enjoyed her time.

I walked the kids to school and over heard some parents saying that there was at least 1 case of swine flu in the school.
Then as I dropped my youngest off I heard another parent talking with the teacher saying that (n) has tamiflu and she is doing ok.......

I sent my daughter to school today and now my mind is fuzzed, she came home from camp with a bit of a sore throat...... I shrug a lot of illness off and tell them a dose of calpol and a good sleep and all will be ok, I am fairly laid back.
I also put it down to them being in the wet (as it poured down most of the time) and also them screaming and shouting...

I have just at made a cup of coffee and my mind is race....

Could she have it or am I being stupid?

The school hasn't said anything, it is what I have heard, but it was a parent speaking to a teacher...
Am I in the right to ring the school and ask what the situation is in school or am I being OTT

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:47 AM

Deb

We have a thread in this section titled Pandemic Flu with some links and alot of info. but in the meantime, if you are in doubt dont' worry about the schools opinion, call your doctor and ask them what you should do, that is the best thing to do when in doubt.

Here is the link, it's titled "Pandemic Flu 2009-Some Common Sense Tips On Being Prepared"

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/y...-prepared.html

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 07-09-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I agree with OSI that I would get a doctor's opinion. If the Swine Flu is going around, I would not take any chances. I won't even let my grandchildren drink out of water fountains. I do not want them to get sick. I say an ounce of prevention with better than a pound of cure. I would much rather them NOT get sick, even if it means being a little obsessive compulsive. lol
Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you both.

I rang the local GP and we have been told to continue taking her to school as usual as she has only a sore throat and to contact them again if any other symptoms occur.

So it is a waiting game now, one of the pupils are from my daughters and my middle sons class. There are none from my youngest sons class

Thank you for the link I have had a good read through them

The school has sent letters home saying that there are confirmed cases within the school and to be cautious.

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Assistant Moderator

2 kids at ds2 high school have had swine flu and the school was closed for a week but saying that the kids were down the local shops and cinemas anyway so how can it be contained?
We've all had the flu in this house but it just seemd to be the usual.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I feel for you. I am a germaphobe, and am teased about it all the time. We came down with H1N1 (Swine flu) 6 weeks ago and it was not horrible. It did begin with a sore throat, then a high fever, cough and body aches that seemed like they were never going away. It didn't seem to matter what we did, echinacia, vitamins, hand sanitizer, we still caught it. It took almost 2 weeks for dh and dd to feel better and I am on week 6 of still having a battle getting my voice back.
I hope you don't get it, but if you do, just take care of yourselves and stay home! That is the important thing to keep it from spreading, but in this day and age, we feel that we have to get up, and get on with it. Not with this one.
I wish you health!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well my little one got it but so did my husband. He is quite poorly with it. He has had it a while now and also ended up with a query chest infection or pneumonia. He has had a course of Tamiflu and also a course of Anti-Biotics and the dr is phoning back on Friday and if he is no better they are going to Admit him to hospital as it is playing havoc with his chest. He cannot seem to shift it.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Assistant Moderator

Oh no, that's no good I bet it's not a lot of fun in your house right now.
My Cameron has the flu but it's only the normal one as far as I can tell.

Can you describe for me how it all progressed? I know you're supposed to watch for flu like symptoms but Cam has not had high temps or problems with food .... am I deluding myself?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

No it' hard work at the mo

It started with the high Temp which flared really high really quick and his body ached so much. He goes very dizzy very quickly and very lethargic.
He Has diarrhoea and sleeps so so much an since it has gone to his chest he has such a deep productive cough. His temp isn't too much of a problem as the Tamiflu did it's job and brought it down. Unlike when he gets colds and flu his appetite hasn't been touched he can still eat as long as it is soft and can get past a sore throat.

Hope Cam is ok
Hope this helped a little

Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Assistant Moderator

Thanks and I hope it's not been to hard for you to cope with it all, one person sick is bad enough but if it goes through the house, ick!

I knew the temps was a thing to watch and the other night it went up a degree or two but went down again and he seems now to just have a runny nose, appetite the same and not a sore throat, where all that snot comes from I have no idea LOL But you always wonder if you've done the right thing as they say don't rush in to the Docs just watch, confusing.