Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here we have a flu line set up to call for information and for diagnostic calls as we aren't allowed to go to the surgery if temp is raised.

I do think though that too much fear has been given out about it here, if you have a temp over 38C then it said that you more a less have swine flu and have to get a 'flu buddy' to go to a designated place to collect the Tamiflu. All this is done without DR consent and you can get a Tamiflu code after filling a form out online

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Nine Year Member

The Dr Oz show has these tips to help keep your family healthy and safe from the flu.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/swine-flu-prevention

Roberta
Old 10-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you Roberta

Sorry I have been AWOL this last month or so, but my daughter caught it and she was very poorly and spent so long in hospital, she was in intensive care as she couldn't breathe properly and was ventilated for a while. We now have her home and she is lowly getting stronger by the day. It has been a long month and half.

Take time to recharge your batteries. It's hard to see where you're going when your lights are dim.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I have been sick for a week. I think it was the swine flu, but can't prove it. I had all the symptoms. Even though I am doing better, I still get fatigued really easy. I have a billion cold sores on my face around my nose and mouth where I coughed and sneezed. I will say I felt terrible.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Madmum, I'm so happy to hear that your daughter is recovering from this.

DeBora, You should go to the doctor and get some TamiFlu before it gets worse.

My son was diagnosed with the swine flu yesterday afternoon. This is the second time within a month that he has been sick --the first time it was a sinus infection and a stomach virus, now this. It hit him suddenly and hard Friday afternoon. He came home from school and said that his throat was sore and that his stomach hurt. By Fri. evening he was vomiting and sick. Saturday he was really hot and of course my digital thermometer decided not to work. I decided to take him to the Urgent Care center because I could tell by looking at him that he was really sick. I figured that it was the swine flu because he had all of the symptoms and the kids are spreading it around in his school.

The doctor that examined him said that even with doing a culture, they really can't determine 100% right now if it is the swine flu but since he had a 103* temp along with other symptoms, he more than likely did. He has a bad cough so they gave him cough medicine with meds to help him sleep + TamiFlu. He can't go back to school until Wednesday --and then only if he is free of his fever for 24 hrs. beforehand. They said that his fever should break by Monday. If not by Tuesday, I have to call them.

The doctor said that because it's the only flu out there now, if you are sick with the symptoms, you have it. They're treating 5-6 people a day with it. He also said that in almost all cases, if it is treated, you will recover with no problems and that your body tends to build a high resistance to it so that you shouldn't catch it again.

Now, I asked him if I should expect the rest of us in our house to get it.... He said that if he could predict that, he surely wouldn't be working weekends. He said to wash everything....hands, toilet seats, sinks and all dishes that he uses very often and wash the bed sheets and blankets once he is feeling better. He is wearing a mask here at home around us --no mandated but I'm hoping that it might help to not spread even more germs.

UGH!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Tami, by the time I went to the doctor I had had it for almost a week. He said the TamiFlu would only work during the first few days. I was way to sick to go to the doctor, which is an hour and a half drive away. I have lived, but I have so many sores on my face that I won't be able to wear make-up for awhile. I can only hope that it clears up by the time we go to NC. I have been doping it up with Neosporin.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBora4BobbyL
Tami, by the time I went to the doctor I had had it for almost a week. He said the TamiFlu would only work during the first few days. I was way to sick to go to the doctor, which is an hour and a half drive away. I have lived, but I have so many sores on my face that I won't be able to wear make-up for awhile. I can only hope that it clears up by the time we go to NC. I have been doping it up with Neosporin.
I'm in the same boat. I always wait to see if I can get rid of it and then it's too late. Then there's the cost of the meds and doctor's appt. to deal with. Even with insurance it still cost $45. for his meds BUT that's a lot better than over $100. for the TamiFlu only. I just doesn't seem right that we should have to pay so much $$$ when we are so sick and NEED the meds. It's no wonder many people skip it altogether.

Have you tried taking L-Lysine for the cold sores? Ask the pharmacy how much you can take above the recommended amt. on the bottle. I can't remember what my doc told me but it was a good bit above the dose on the bottle. Cold water compresses or ice might help, too. I used to get them so bad when I was sick.

I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 10-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I was diagnosed years ago with herpes I (not sexually transmitted). I tried the L-Lysine and a ton of other stuff. The only thing that worked is the silver. However, I haven't had the time to make any. With the kiddos here, I wouldn't even be able to find it. That usually clears them us because the virus that causes them is killed on contact with silver. If I get a moment of energy and buy the batteries, I will make me some and drink me a good amount. I may even pour some directly on my sores.

I thought at first that I had a cold. Doctors can't do much for a cold. But, once I checked my fever and it was so high and then I started aching all over, that's when I realized that it was more than a cold. The doctor still thinks because I didn't vomit or anything that it wasn't the flu because he thinks you always vomit with the flu. But, a cold doesn't last this long and you don't run high fever with a cold. At least I am starting to feel normal again. I think tomorrow I will be able to start seeing clients again, go to my practicum meeting, see my professor about my thesis, deal with children and their homework, and so on. No wonder I got sick, my body is worn out. LOL
Old 10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yep, when we wear ourselves out, look out. I will say a prayer for you tonight in hopes that you feel better very soon.

I'm headed to bed myself. Body aches and wheezing in my chest. Guess it's inevitable when you have sick kids. I'm so sick of being sick. I can imagine that you feel the same way.

Hopefully you will get some rest tonight.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Tami, I am such a germ-a-phobe, but since I have children in my care now, I just can't NOT hug them or kiss them when they are sneezing and coughing or, especially, when they are feeling bad. I think families with children are the perfect breeding ground for these illnesses. Children aren't the best at covering their coughs, no matter how much we tell them to, and they don't always wash their hands or use hand sanitizer. I think by the time this flu season is over, we'll raise a generation of germ-a-phobes who will be afraid to touch anything, use lots of sanitizer, and wash their hands a lot. LOL