Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:12 PM

Laura

Yep, it took some effort to remember to swipe all those places.

Bilby

The grocery carts, I've seen children have accidents in them too. The child kept telling her parents she needed to go and they didn't take her soon enough... poor baby but ick!

Anna
Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Don't forget to eat healthy now. With all our economizing don't cut out fruits and veggies.
The other ideas are right on, I had MERSA so yes, it can happen to anyone. They have no idea where I caught it

Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Assistant Moderator

I watched a show (don't remember if it was 20/20 or which show) but it was on the germiest places and believe it or not, public bathrooms were not the dirtiest. Some of the dirtiest were ATM machines and public telephones as well as shopping cart handles.

I always carry hand sanitizer in my purse and have it placed about my house. I also keep wipes in my car and in my bathroom. I love all the tips on how to stock your house incase of a power outage or a flu outbreak. when I go shopping this week I think i will make sure I have many of those items on hand. I might be good to have 2-3 weeks worth of supplies for emergencies. I will just need to remember to check expiration dates and replace things as needed.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 AM

Our stores now have wipes by the shopping carts.
We have 233 confirmed cases in WI.

My cabinets and freezer are stocked and we have bottles of drinking water in the basement. But it is always like that at our house. We are always prepared. Also extra toilet paper, paper towels, cat food, even cleaning supplies.
Our parents always did this, so we were brought up to be prepared.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Sharon

I have been trying to get stocked up, it's not as easy with the economy the way it is to buy those extra's but I am working consciously towards that goal every week.

I ask my middle sister yesterday (she works for a large chain of restaurants called Bob Evans) if they had done any extra steps in preparation for this virus.. she said they did get a memo reminding about careful handwashing and if folks commented about "Swine Flu" and not eating pork to let them know that the swine flu does not come from eating pork and that the restaurants pork is properly cooked. (Bob Evans is a breakfast oriented restaurant although they serve lunch and dinner too and they raise their own pork). Now my little sister on the other hand works for Crystals Restaurant in Ga. she's a asst. mgr. and she was so out of touch that she was talking about the Swan Flu I kid you not!!! and when me and one of her friends started talking about it being the "Swine Flu" she said I'm not eating any pork. While my sister is out of touch with the news media, you would have thought the restaurant would have sent out memos or something, how scary is that!!

Anna
Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 PM

I would think the manager of that GA resturant would have talked to all employees about swine flu and the necessary precautions.
WI is no longer referring to it as swine flu because of people being afraid to eat pork.

It is hard to keep stocked up unless you constantly replace everything you have used every shopping day.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Nine Year Member

The schools here sent home letters telling what they are doing in addition to their normal cleaning to help keep down the transmission of the flu as well as telling what to do at home.

We've had a couple of news releases as well about it.

Roberta
Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The last I heard we had three confirmed cases of the H1NI virus (or swine flu) in California, one was a child who had recently been to Mexico. I work in a clinic but don't have contact with the patients or parents but have to walk through the patient hallway area to get to the employee bathroom. If someone comes in with symptoms that sound like the flu they give them a mask and tell them to go to the back door and knock so they will be let into the doctor's area. They've tried to tell the patients that it is for their protection to hopefully make them feel better about it. We've only had one child who cried like crazy when they put the mask on him and they don't give them to very young infants. Our County Health Officer sent an e-mail and basically said you should take the same precautions you would to prevent any type of flu, especially with young children and the elderly. None of our stores have wipes and it gets so hot here in the summer that they dry out in the car, so I keep a bottle of hand santizer in the car. There are a lot of people who come here from Mexico who have TB, which is very contagious and if I hear someone coughing I try to hold my breath and get away from that area as soon as possible. That has happened twice in stores recently.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 PM

apricot

Now TB is definitely something to be scared of, I've seen stories about how devastating it was in the old days... I can't remember when the epidemic was now but that is definitely a wicked evil disease and sad that we had it almost wiped out and now it's rearing it's ugly head again.

Anna
Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I believe TB was called consumption a few decades back when it was an epidemic. They do have treatment for it now but it is a long six-month process and a few people have negative reactions to the medication.