Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 PM

Dh and I got the regular flu shot last month. According to the Green Bay news, they are giving shots in phases with medicial and nursing home personnal and babies being first. Then preschool and so on up the line with people 55 to 64 getting them last. If any vaccine is left then people over 64 could get a shot if they wanted too but it is felt that they don't need to get one.
What I wonder about is if this present H1N1 is a variation of what hit in the 40's, would a person still be immune to it?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seleach
Dh and I got the regular flu shot last month. According to the Green Bay news, they are giving shots in phases with medicial and nursing home personnal and babies being first. Then preschool and so on up the line with people 55 to 64 getting them last. If any vaccine is left then people over 64 could get a shot if they wanted too but it is felt that they don't need to get one.
What I wonder about is if this present H1N1 is a variation of what hit in the 40's, would a person still be immune to it?
I thought of that, too. That's a long time to stay immune to something. Even if its a variant of the H1N1 from before, I would think that it would have a different structure to it and that not everything would be the same.

The docs did tell me that since my son had it, he wouldn't get it again since he would build up a resistance to it. I'm not sure that I believe all of that, either.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing that people are keeping sick kids home from school or if they are sick, staying home from work. Flu or no flu, that's just good practice. It's too bad that there had to be a bad flu before people started getting the picture on this.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member

I blame employers for that Barb. People are afraid of losing their jobs by taking off work when they are sick or the kids.

Roberta
Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Assistant Moderator

Barbszy and Roberta, I agree with both of you. Sick children should be kept home from school if they are sick and employers should be a bit more accomodating for parents who need to miss work because of this. I have parents in my daycare who dose their child with tylenol so they don't have a fever when they get to my house and once the tylenol wears off the temp spikes again and then I have a sick child here. i call the parents who sometimes take their sweet time coming to pick up their child. This means everyone in my daycare including me has now been exposed to whatever. And if by chance I do get sick, then the parents are actually upset I need a day off.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing that people are keeping sick kids home from school or if they are sick, staying home from work. Flu or no flu, that's just good practice. It's too bad that there had to be a bad flu before people started getting the picture on this.
I totally agree! We seem to have the opposite happen here in the schools... So many kids have to go home sick instead of being kept home from school sick. I understand that many homes have just one parent who work or both parents work so there would have to be someone called in or that they would have to call off from work but think about the long run.... the viruses are going to be spread around and around if it's not taken care of.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sammi, It makes you wonder what type of parents these people really are who would drug their kids just so that they can drop them off at your house. How self-centered can one be? That really ticks me off hearing about that.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus