Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

View Poll Results: What measures do you take to try to prevent the flu bugs from invading your home?
get a flu shot 17 48.57%
take extra vitamins 10 28.57%
eat healthier 6 17.14%
get more sleep 8 22.86%
something else 12 34.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Bluebird, I also like to use Lysol spray in the can, I can spray light switches, remotes, computer mouse and door knobs.

I also spray the faucets, flusher handle on the potty, and spray down my shower.

Janet
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Nine Year Member

hand washing and that neti pot saline rinse thing seems to be working, also sleep when I feel rundown seems to help, drinking lots of liquids too, and being outside in the cool air is nice

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We all have gotten flu shots, but I really believe in hand washing. I do keep a bottle of hand sanitizer on my desk for those times when I can't wsh my hands. Also I do take vitamins especially during the winter months.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Joy - Good idea with the hand washing. They have done studies which now show that hand washing is superior to the hand sanitizer. I know when I worked in a hospital years ago and the doctors and nurses had to scrub up for so many minutes prior to surgery, using soap and water, we had much less infections than they have today.
Also, my daughter's 2nd grad teacher had those little wash their hands so many times a day, with a deep sink in the classroom, that I thought their skin would wrinkle. It did not and they lost no days in school due to sickness. Sh had the right idea.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member

I spray down my furniture and the air in the house with anti-bacterial spray. My dh got his flu shot. So did my oldest dd's family and they still got a strain of the flu virus. Not all fu viruses are avoidable. There is a new one out this year. We had a family get together at my mom's apt. complex Sat. and about 8 or 9 have since came down with a 24 hr. virus or flu type bug. So far, I haven't had it yet.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 AM

Happy face

Every time I get a flu shot, I am down for at least a week with the flu. I refuse to get them any more. If I'm not sick, why make myself sick by getting that shot & waste my money too. I do wash my hands often & take extra vitamin C. If I feel like I'm coming down with something, I take cold pills & go to bed.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:03 AM

Minny, you can't get the flu from the shot. They use a dead virus. NOT a live one.
Also, it takes 2 weeks before the shot kicks in.
You were exposed to the flu before you got the shot or before it kicked in.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 AM

Happy face

Well all I know is that I'm not sick before I got the shot, & 3 days later I'm getting the flu & it lasts forever. LOL. I don't know if the weather has anything to do with it or not. In Ohio, it was cold & damp & here in Florida it's warm & dry.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 AM

I don't know if the weather has anything to do with it.
The first case has been reported in WI in the last day or two.
I can understand why you would think the shot gave you the flu. But I assure you, it didn't.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member

The new nasal flu spray does contain live virus but the shots now do not have the live virus. I got the shot at the health clinic and when I took the kids they were able to get the nasal spray as they both are shot phobic.

Roberta