Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for honest opinion.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Assistant Moderator

I think NH just passed the no smoking law too. I have to say I really like it. I have asthma and cigarette smoke makes me cough. I also don't like coming from someplace where smoking is allowed and then ending up smelling like the smoke. I also do not want my dks around the second hand smoke. Though I know a smoker deserves rights too, I am not sure how things could be changed so that they could smoke yet the smoke would not get to the non smoking sections. And I think about the people who serve at the bars and restaurants where smoking is allowed and what it does to their lungs as well. I wish there was an easier solution but as I am a non-smoker, I am grateful for this new law.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I used to smoke, then quit for 10 years, then started again for 3 more years and quit. haven't smoked in 27 years. Interestingly, about 9 years ago I developed Reactive Airway Disease, and go into coughing/choking spasms when I'm around cigarette smoke.

The Ol' Curmudgeon smokes, but he hasn't smoked in our car or in the house in 9 years.

Since he is a nationally known expert in HVAC, I know that the following is true. If restaurants and other public places would put out the $$$ to create a properly ventilated smoking section, then we wouldn't have the problems we have now. He says that proper ventilation could allow a smoker and an allergic non-smoker to sit at the **same table** and the smoke not bother the non-smoker. But no one seems to want to put out the $$ to do it.

He also says that people on oxygen don't need to worry about being "blown up" simply passing by a smoking section. The oxygen isn't highly concentrated enough in that environment to explode. If there were a large open flame, the flame might get higher for a bit, but not for long. Flame won't "follow" oxygen like it did the fuel out of the plane on Die Hard 2. Oxygen is necessary for compustion, but doesn't just spontaneously combust.

Now, in a high concentration situation, yes, there can be an explosion, but remember that plain old room air is 20% oxygen. The oxygen coming out of the cannula for a patient on "tank" O2 gets diluted in the air. You'd have to hold a lighter to the person's nose to get an explosion. Hospital is a different situation, and I won't bore you with that. LOL!

So, back to smoking vs non-smoking, if a public entity won't put in a decent vent system, then they will have to go non-smoking.

All smoking areas should be away from any area a non-smoker must go through (entrances, areas near bathrooms, etc).

There is a restaurant here that has big signs "Smoking Permitted!" It has a huge clientele, and non-smokers just don't have to go there! I think that's a lovely solution. If you want to attract smokers, have smoking all over, with warning signs. If you want to attract non-smokers, have non-smoking only.

Seems reasonable to me.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~*~ Fidelity is the single most important element in solidly enduring marriages. ~*~
~*~ Frank Pittman ~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*