Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Great responses. I too am liking the no smoking in the bowling alleys especially since we bowl on a league. I also agree that having a smoking and non-smoking in a eating place is not really non-smoking because 8 times out of 10 you do have to walk through the smoking section to get to the bathroom and some one is usually smoking in there as well even if it says not to.

Thanks for all the responses.

Anna, Thank you too for being respectful of us non-smokers. Not everyone who smokes is like that and I really appreciate that you are respectful to us. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

The ban has been here for a couple of years also.
It first started in shopping centres then pubs and clubs. Business and buildings followed. Now they are trying to make it if you have kids in the car while smoking you can be fined. You can't smoke with in 4 metres of the doorway to a building.
I grew up with a big family of smokers. Me being the only one that did not take up the habit. I can tell if my mum had a smoke an hour before meeting me.
None of my friends smoke.

I do also realise it's personal thing, but it was never for me.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have had a total smoking ban in place here in our province for a few years now. It was tough at first, but like Kathymac says, once it is a total ban, all businesses are the same. You do get used to it and personally I like it. My children are not exposed to smoke like we were as kids and that is a good thing. My dh does not, and has not ever smoked in front of my kids, he always goes outside in the lane.

Smoking bans are a good thing!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Kathy, they are kicking around that idea in my state too: you can get fined if you smoke with kids in the car.

I'm not sure how close that is to becoming a law.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:31 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am totally for smoke free facilities...my motto is, "if you can prove to me that your smoke is good for my lungs, then go ahead and smoke" You have rights to smoke but my lungs have rights also. It's easier for them to go to a smoke filled environment then it is for us to avoid it! I too am bother by smoke....I totally cough and cough the whole next day if I have been exposed to smoke! Our state has not yet banned from restaurants....but hopefully soon. We live in a very small village and we have one great restaurant we love but we have to WALK through the smoke filled room to get to the non-smoking section! I actually hold something over my face to get there, and maybe that will tell the owner to move his section to the back or better yet...ban it! My opinion about hurting businesses...that is not true, pp are going to eat out no matter what and go to bars, no matter what!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well I live in a smoke free area as well. But I will say this much. I am not going to wether I smoke or not, but I do know that some smokers have not respect for the non-smokers, or for themselves for that matter for to have respect for others you first have to have it for your selves.. But the question I have to ask is this?>>>> How would you like it if someone in the future comes into your home and says what you can and cannot do? My point? Well, this, if we allow all smokers to suffer for what some have no regards for then what will happen next with our government? Soon if this keeps up, they could come to some of us, and say well your over weight or obese and you can or cannot do this even in your back yard? How would you like that? isn't it going communistic to impose such laws and take away the rights of others? I'm not against non somking in closed up areas, but in the open areas I feel differently. I would never go to a non-smokers house and light up inside, for respect, but to say that I can't go out doors well, that going a bit far don't you think? Remember some law maker could one day turn tables on the you who don't smoke and make hard in toher areas for all the people of this once upon a time land of the free which is now going to a do as I say do not as I do nation. Thak you for listening.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Not smoking in the car will be interesting if that gets passed.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

Bar
I would be interesting to see how they would follow the smoking with kids in the car, it would be like speeding, one of those things that the police would have to be in a certain place at a certain time to catch you, I guess.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I think that would be a very hard one to keep up with. When Gina still smoked she never did it with the children in the car. Glad she quit smoking tho'. One of the best gifts she ever gave me.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I go through spells of not smoking (yeah ) and smoking.I can go without in public buildings but my dh who has never smoked does not think it is fair and nor do I. I think it is a joke however to have nonsmokers walk through the smoke which does stink,Not to mention allergies and such, to get to their section or the bathroom or for any reason. My mom when she was alive was on oxygen and not only could we blow up,it was a joke to pretend there was a nonsmoking section two tables away. In a lot of our big hospitals and such they have totally enclosed rooms with ventilation for smokers that no one has to walk through. This is what i would like to see more of.But I know this is not practical expense wise. Smoking was indorsed by public companies and places for a very long time and I don't feel it's fair to make a smoker catch there death in addition to there bad habit risk.
I don't like smoking in cars and forcing everyone to inhale secondhand smoke,nor do I like children around the stuff. Cigarettes are an addiction and I don't know what the right answer is.I don't think it is right for the goverment to get into it but the world is like a playground full of kids....someone has to be babysitter or someone will get hurt. It is a shame that people can't do things for the greater good on their own without drastic measures having to be implored.
If smokers put themselves in nonsmokers shoes and really cared about others I am sure things would be different. Just too many people that think about themselves or the almighty buck. Which by the way I think got us hear in the first place. Wow, I guess I went off on this. Sorry everyone, I love ya all,I just have a sore spot about this....I need a bandaid.LOL