Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Your Health Need a place to ask health related questions? This is it!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Need Healthy Eating Advice

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on healthy food which gives you energy. Not that quick rush of energy but something that is healthy and lasting. My 12 year old dh has had very low levels of energy lately and falls asleep alot after school and whenever she can on weekends. She's a very picky eater and its difficult to get her to eat vegetables at the best of times. Maybe someone has gone through this too? Looking forward to any replies. Thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Have you taken her to the doctor to make sure there is not something else going on there? That would be my first course of action.

Also, how much sleep is she getting at night?

If your daughter can have nuts, they do provide good and lasting energy.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for your reply Barbzy..yes I have taken her to the doc and there isnt anything medically wrong there. She has had blood tests and they came back good. She's getting about 8-9 hrs of sleep each night, but we are hoping to increase it to 10 hrs to see if that makes a difference. She can eat nuts, I'll try to sneak them into her food. Thnaks so much.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I just have to ask ..... When they tested her blood, did they test her Thyroid? I found out at 27 that I had problems and at that time, they told me that I had probably been suffering for a long time needlessly before that.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

8-9 hours of sleep isn't enough for a 12-year old - it should be more like 10. Her body is going through huge changes right now, so she needs her sleep.

Nuts are a good energy snack, as is peanut butter on an apple, or cheese and crackers.

Good luck!
Melanie
Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That's true....she probably does need a lot of sleep, being in her growing years. My DD is 11 and she needs a good deal of sleep.

Another thing that will help is regular physical activity. It will help her have more energy at her "awake times" as well as help her sleep better and be generally healthier.

Would she eat more fruit/veg if she helped pick them out, prepare them, and/or helped you plan your menus? She is old enough to do a good deal of this, and it's good training for her adulthood. Let her look through your cookbooks or buy a cooking magazine....see what whets her appetite!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Assistant Moderator

She may be going through a growth spurt. Children do their growing when they are sleeping so she may require a little extra sleep. From what my doctor has told me, you want a combination of protein and carbs. The protein takes longer to digest so keeps you full longer and the carbs provide instant energy. Foods like lowfat yogurt, almonds & fruit, whole grain cereal and fruit, peanut butter on whole grain bread or toast with some fruit etc. Veggie sticks with hummus dip works too. Too much suger causes a rush then a quick slump and too heavy a meal causes sleepiness. 3 healthy meals and a couple healthy snacks could keep her blood sugar level and keep her from being tired as well.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Assistant Moderator

My 12yro goes to bed at 8 pm and wakes when he wakes, some times longer sometiems not, but I think they need uninterupted sleep.
My ds1 (16) had troubles concentrating, we found he actually had an allergy to dustmites and was waking up to 6 times a night and not knowing, so it was not a GOOD nights sleep.
We change his pillow cases every second day and this actually helps.
My kids also take a vitamin tab 3-4 times a week just to catch up for those not so good days.
I guess you'll just have to play with things till you find something just right for your daughter.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm with Sammi - this sounds very much like a growth spurt. With some kids, you can actually measure growth of over 1/4 inch overnight!!

Help her to get to bed earlier, let her sleep as late as possible, and then encourage a nap in the afternoons after school. This phase often only lasts about 6 months. Then another growth spurt in another 6-12 months, etc, until they are about 16. By 16, most girls don't have much more growing to do, and do it much more slowly until they are about 21.

Boys, on the other hand, usually don't start the growth spurt thing until they are about 13 1/2 - 14. They need even more sleep, and grow even faster - there have been some boys whose growth was measured at over 1/2 inch overnight!! They continue growing fairly rapidly in spurts until they are about 18, then slow down until they are finished - about 21 or 22.

I have 3 GKs in the 12-14 year old range, and they are very interesting. My GD probably will end up taller than most of the boys as her father is 6'5" and her genetics from her mom's side of the family (my DD) are all relatively tall people with some 6'4" - 6'6". She is 12 and is already 5'6" - taller than I am!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
~*~ Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild. ~*~
~*~ Welsh Proverb ~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*