Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Your Health Need a place to ask health related questions? This is it!

Old 03-28-2006, 03:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bariatric (weight loss) Surgery Anyone?

Has anyone had or considered bariatric surgery? ( Weight loss surgery )

I have a doctor's consult in a week, and I was hoping to get as many first-hand comments as I could. I have spoken to several people I know who have had the surgery, and I am strongly considering it. I have about 130 pounds to loose, and after years and years of dieting, I only seem to get heavier and heavier. I really don't want to die .. I want my life back.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Val!

I seriously considered it about 2 yrs ago. I did a lot of research and visited several message boards where the members have had it done.

I would like to have it done but I cant get over the fact that there is always a chance that you could be left paralyzed or even worse than that. I just cant justify taking that chance since I have a family and my kids are still really young.

I still wish that I could have it done though. I wish you the best through your journey.

If you need someone to talk to through it, I'm always here!

Keep us up to date on things, please.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-29-2006, 05:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tammy, Thank you for sharing that. I have been going over this in my mind and heart for five years now. Everything I try fails, and I keep geting heavier. I have joined OA to learn to control my food, but I need to get out of this "fat suit" and start living my life.

The surgeon I am going to is someone who does the operation laproscopicly. He uses an ultrasound knife, so there is no bleeding internally, and the ultrasound "heat fuses" the tissues closed, as well as them being stitched.

There was actually a web-cast of him performing the surgery live... It was amazing to see. He is also a "pioneer" in laproscopic by-pass surgery, and teaches at Columbia, Albert Einstein and NY Medical College. I am very pleased with his credentials.. I'm just wondering how others experiences have been.
I have visited those boards you are refring to, but I was hoping to hear a voice from this family.. hey... maybe I'm the only one...
Old 04-10-2006, 07:50 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Val, you are not the only one.

I have been to the preliminary meeting and am doing all the pre testing that is required before the surgery. Which I hope is soon.

My daughter and I are doing this together.
Am I scared? you bet
Have I had second thoughts? every day
Do I want my life back too? I've realized that if I don't have the surgery there will be no life for me. Therefore the decision is made.

I wish you the best of luck on this. You can talk to me anytime. I will let you know when I have the surgery and how it comes out.

God bless you,
Maryann

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:29 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, I wish I could help. I have been on a "list" for 5 yrs and am not even close. Our hospitals (at first) didn't have the beds, then didn't have the OR available, now it's lack of anesthesiologists. Sometimes I wonder if there is a list.

I too, have tried everything out there and feel like I don't have a life.

Best of luck.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ask about pre-surgery counseling... if it isn't required, it should be. That's for the emotional side. And from everyone I know who has had GBS, they all have food issues and those issues don't go away by having the surgery.

An important thing to ask about is what kind of diet you will have after the surgery. At first, it's liquid, but as you introduce solids (sounds like a topic on our baby-boards, doesn't it!), you have to be strict about both what you eat and how much (or rather how little) you eat. You say that you've tried everything? How did you do on a low-carb diet? Because most doctors will ultimately be putting you on one.

I know about half a dozen folks who have had GBS. All lost weight. Two have had complications, but so far, not major ones. Of the 3 who lost down to sub-Lane-Bryant levels, 2 have struggled with regaining and the 3rd, I have lost touch with him but he'd gone from nearly 500lb to around 200# and was eating pizza... albeit in small servings, like half a slice instead 3/4 of a pie. And he got mad at me for suggesting that maybe pizza wasn't a great food-choice.

Here is an interesting thing I've heard from a number of online friends: post-surgery, there is a surprising leap in the divorce rate. Sometimes the one who had the surgery gets slimmed-down and decides s/he wants out. Sometimes the spouse has trouble dealing with the change in the status quo. This is a HUGE life-change and there will be issues that get revealed, like peeling the layers of an onion. It may sound like an easy fix, but there is no easy fix. If you are seriously overweight and couldn't lose it with diet, then you have, without a doubt, emotional or spiritual reasons underlying. If you don't deal with that "inner housework," you will struggle to keep the weight off. GBS isn't a panacea. If your marriage is unhappy, for instance, GBS isn't going to fix that, in fact it is likely to bring it to the forefront. The only thing the surgery does is force you to eat small amounts. What you are able to do with that is up to you.

Rani
Old 04-10-2006, 03:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Im new ana I had G B S 4years ago I have lost 120lb and I now weight is 110 Is hard work and you still crave thfoods you cant have but you learn to deal with it and some food you dont even want any more Ihad no complications if you do haveG B S it is much healthyer way of life Im still drinking protein drinks just do all your homework first Good luck
Miss Walmart056 Mich
Old 04-11-2006, 05:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I know several people who have done this, most of them have had great experiences. Only one had a bad experience and it was because she did not listen, had to have a repair done, overate and pulled stitches out of stomach. I checked about doing this also, but due to other stomach related issues, I am not a candidate. A good doctor will test you to see if you are a good or bad candidate and can give you referrels and all the pros/cons. Be careful and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

WOW! Thank you all for your replies.

Maryann, Best of luck to you and your daughter. I saw a mom and daughter at the doctor's office who were one week post-op and both had lost over 15 pounds in the week . ( granted they were both well over 300 pounds, but that is still amazing to me!)

Mommy_2305 Where do you live? That sounds odd to me too. I can't imagine that you don't have other options.

Misswalmart.. Congratulations! I understand how hard it is to acomplish what you have done. I wish you all the best, and good health always.. And I'd love to hear how it changed your life.. for better or worse.

Rani I hear every word you are saying. I agree with it. I know this isn't a decision I am entering into lightly. I did the low-carb thing, and it wasn't sucessful for me. After six months of the Atkins diet I was at so low a carb threshold that I simply couldn't do it anymore. I had only lost 15 pounds, and was at a plateau.. I can't exercise.. ( no, not even in the water any more) My physical health prevents it, "Loose the weight" they say, "and you'll be able to exercise again".. But how do you loose the weight if you CAN'T exercise? I don't have the fortitude to starve myself every day of my life. I am always hungry, and become resentful about feeling that way. Only so many calories can go in, if only a few go out.. It's been impossible for me over the past 15 years. As I understand it, the surgery allows you to feel full on very little food. It's the feelin gof fullness that drives me to eat.. I have to do something.

After the orientation and the physical, I am a little anxious, but still determined to give this a try. I may only be eligible for the lap-band surgery, not the Roux-n-Y bypass. I have some GI issues that might make the bipass "undesirable", as the surgeon put it. I have to have my GI doc clear me for whatever surgery would be best for me.

Every one of my doctors I have spoken to so far have said it would be a great thing for me to do. (That's my GP, hemotologist, rheumatologist, and cardiologist.. just waiting on the GI docs.)

The program at this hospital requires that you attend a minimum of 2 support groups before the surgery, and that you attend one monthly after surgery for 2 years. You sign a contract.. but I think it's the support that keeps patients coming back, not the contract. I went to one support group already and asked a lot of questions. I had my nutritional counceling session and my psychological interview. You have to have therapy in place before you can have the surgery, and a psychiatric clearance too. I learned everything about the surgery, and the diet you have to follow. I know the adjustment will be very difficult, but not imossible. I have been on liquid diets before, and lost 28 pounds in four months, and that was on large quantities of the drinks.

I look at the surgery as a physical policeman.. With the surgery in place, your body simply will not allow you to over eat anymore, so you break that habit because you have no choice ... But changing your diet is up to you.

The bottom line is that this in not a cosmetic proceedure. I'm not looking to loose all the excess weight I cary.. I'm looking to be "normal" again. I want to be able to play with my kids, tie my own shoes, hit a tennis ball, and make love with my husband without feeling like I'm going to die!

I have already made diet changes.. But no matter what I do, I always feel hungry. My problem is less with what I eat , than how much of it I eat.

In addition to seeing a therapist, I go to OA meetings, and there's a lot of support there to help you change your habits.

Anyway, It's not a done-deal. I have a follow up apointment with the surgeon next month.. So I'll let you know how the decision process will go...

Val
Old 04-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good luck Val a lot of us here on FC will be praying for you to make the right decision and all to go well if you do. Take care and God bless