Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How Do You Relax and Unwind?

Here are some simple tricks:

Quick Relaxation
Loosen your clothing and get comfortable.

Tighten the muscles in your toes. Hold for a count of 10. Relax and enjoy the sensation of release from tension.

Flex the muscles in your feet. Hold for a count of 10. Relax.

Move slowly up through your body- legs, abdomen, back, neck, face- contracting and relaxing muscles as you go.

Breathe deeply and slowly.

Long-Term Relaxation
Get in a comfortable position. Minimally tighten your right fist so that you feel only the smallest amount of tension. Hold it at this level. Be sure you continue to breathe... Now let go and relax... Observe the difference in feelings between the right and left arm and fist.

Now minimally tighten your left fist. Hold at this level so that you just feel the tightening... Let go and relax. Let the relaxation spread through the arms and the rest of the body.

Now tighten ever so slightly the following parts of your body.

(Each time tighten only to the point at which you can observe tension, where you can observe tension, where you become conscious of or can "feel" the tension. Hold the tensions at that level, and be sure you tighten only the intended muscle while the rest of the body stays quiet and relaxed. Be sure you continue to breathe. Each time you let go, let those parts relax further and further.) Tighten ever so slightly your scalp... let go and relax... Let the face become smooth and soft... Let the eyes sink into their sockets... Now slightly tighten the throat and neck. Hold it... Let go and relax.

While continuing to breathe, minimally tighten the triceps. Be sure the neck eyes and tongue are relaxed... Let go.

Raise your shoulders to your ears minimally. Be sure the neck stays loose. Observe how the shoulders feel different from the rest of the body... Let go and relax. Feel the relaxation sinking through the body... Minimally tighten the stomach. Keep breathing... Let go and relax. Minimally tighten the buttocks... Let go and relax. Minimally tighten the feet, calves, and thighs... Let go and relax. Let yourself reach an even deeper level of relaxation, a calmness and serenity.

Now minimally tense every muscle in your body so that you just feel the minimum tension... jaws... eyes... shoulders... arms... chest... back... legs... stomach... Be sure you keep breathing. Feel the minimum tension in every part... Let your whole body relax. Feel a wave of calmness as you stop tensing.

Now, with your eyes closed, take a deep breath and hold it. Note all the minimum tensions... Exhale and feel the relaxation and calmness developing... Note the feeling of heaviness.

How do you unwind???

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-02-2005, 05:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

hot bath

I like to soak in the tub or watch a good chick flick on the couch with a good blanket.

TX Chef Fran
Old 08-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Reading...in the summer outside on the patio, nice and quiet. In the winter, in my bedroom. I also like to walk, especially after work. It is about a mile, just enough time to unwind. Working in the garden actually relaxes me, even though it is physical.

Lizajane
Old 08-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I keep the TV off, read or listen to quiet music. I also pay attention to my breathing keeping it nice and regular. Since I hurt my back I also will lay on a heating pad for a brief period of time with my eyes closed. It is amazing how calming that can be. (I set a timer to make sure I don't fall asleep--don't want to get an unwanted burn on an already sore back!)
Old 08-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I like to soak in a tub with a good book.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:42 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I like to light candles (sometimes a fire in the grate, too), put some great music on, pour myself a nice glass of wine, kick of my shoes and settle into a comfy chair...bliss!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I enjoy playing the piano. Pieces that I already know though. I also like to just sit in the living room, sometimes reading, sometimes not. Very quiet in there.

"If you can't convince them, confuse them."

Harry S Truman

Old 08-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I love to do crossword puzzles.

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfuhr
I enjoy playing the piano. Pieces that I already know though. I also like to just sit in the living room, sometimes reading, sometimes not. Very quiet in there.
I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano. It seems like it would be so relaxing to me. Maybe someday I will have the chance to learn......

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

When I am really stressed out I like to relax by having alone time. Nobody wanting me to do something, or asking me any questions, just time for me.
Then do something I am in the mood to do whether it be crafting, watching a good movie, time on the computer, or go shopping.