Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Your Health Health issues, ailments, chronic diseases. Here we cover women's health, children's health, and other general issues.

Old 09-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Food For Health

There are alot of foods that can help us when we are ill, or even just to stay healthy.

Finding Health in Your Pantry

Ever thought of drinking blueberry-leaf tea? Eating wasabi without sushi? Your pantry is probably full of everyday items that have healthful benefits. Here's a sampling of what you may be overlooking.

Wasabi: This Japanese horseradish is typically served with sushi. Ever eaten too much and felt your sinuses clear? Wasabi often helps liquefy bronchial secretions; try eating a little at home when you're stuffed up.

Nutritional Yeast: Nutritional yeast is a good source of B-complex vitamins and trace minerals. Try sprinkling it on popcorn instead of butter, as an alternative to taking a B-complex pill.

I use this on my popcorn..yummy! It is so much better than salt.

Fennel Seeds: A number of herbs, called carminatives, help expel gas from the intestinal tract. One, fennel seed, can be readily found in supermarket spice sections. Try chewing a half-teaspoon of fennel seeds at the end of a meal or any time you feel distended from gas.

Blueberry-leaf Tea: Blueberry-leaf tea is a mild, safe herbal remedy that can help control blood sugar, especially if taken over a long period of time. Drink one cup in the morning and one in the evening for at least three months. You can find blueberry-leaf tea in health-food stores.

Love Janet
Old 09-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Fiber

If fiber isn't part of your regular diet, it should be. Both soluble and insoluble fiber have numerous health benefits:

Soluble fiber helps lower cholesterol levels by binding cholesterol in the intestinal tract and increasing its elimination from the body. Sources include oat bran, oatmeal, beans, peas, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits and strawberries.

Insoluble fiber - the undigestible part of food that doesn't dissolve in water - can help prevent common bowel problems such as constipation, and promotes the health of the GI tract. Sources of insoluble fiber include whole-wheat breads, wheat cereals, wheat bran, cabbage, beets, carrots, Brussels sprouts, turnips and cauliflower.

Stock up on these foods next time you go to the store, and begin adding them to your diet. You'll soon notice positive changes in your digestive system.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Nine Year Member

PSYLLIUM

Janet..... You are so right about fiber. I have started taken Psyllium since I read about it in Prevention Magazine last year.
Take it every day in the morning. Add a dash of cinnamon for flavor both are supposed to be good for you.
Do eat plenty of fruit & vegetable for vitamins and minerals.
________
Sueanne

http://www.yerba.com/psyllium.htm

Old 10-20-2004, 06:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Grape Ideas

Go on and grab some grapes. They're good for your cholesterol.
Antioxidant compounds in grapes may help reduce cholesterol levels and other blood fats, a new study reported. The chemical cousins pterostilbene and resveratrol, found primarily in grape skins, appear to have cancer-fighting and anti-inflammatory properties as well.

Smart~
Old 11-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Immune-Boosting Foods

During cold and flu season it's important to pamper your immune system. Eating well is a simple way to accomplish this, and to help keep yourself healthy during the winter months. Try adding the following immune-boosting foods and beverages to your diet this winter.

Eat several daily servings of fresh, organically grown fruits and vegetables.

Add garlic to your diet - raw, if possible, otherwise lightly cooked.
If you're a coffee drinker, substitute green tea for some or all of the coffee. (If you prefer decaf, you can get decaffeinated green tea.)

Drink several glasses of good-quality water each day to help keep your mucous membranes moist enough to fight off any viruses they encounter.

And don't forget some other basic immune-strengthening tips such as washing your hands frequently, getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, and keeping a lid on stress.

Last edited by janet; 03-31-2006 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Reducing Inflammation Through Diet

There is growing evidence that prolonged inflammation may have some influence on the course of diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer's and heart disease.

An effective first step to reduce the occurrence of inflammation is through your diet. Try the following:
Eat a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids (walnuts, freshly ground flaxseed and oily fish such as sardines, mackerel, and wild salmon are good sources)

Incorporate fresh, organic fruits and vegetables in your meals.

Reduce your intake of polyunsaturated vegetable oils (such as sunflower, corn and safflower oils), replacing them instead with extra-virgin olive oil.

Use natural anti-inflammatory spices: ginger and turmeric are good choices
Old 12-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Janet, These are great ideas and a big help!! Thank You!

I plan on starting a healthy eating regime in January and I will definitely reread this!! I cannot give up sugar totally. I am too addicted, but for me to atleast cut down would be good. I had good cholesterol and blood sugar readings at my last physical but was really surprised at that with the way I love candy!! I want to keep it that way though so I should probably start doing something about it now.

I am 44. I lost 10 pounds in Sept,Oct and need to lose 20 more. It's not a whole lot but enough that my body feels uncomfortable.

What do you eat in a typical day? What about you, Sueanne...............I know you are very healthy, too!!
(I remember I asked for your pancake recipe.....but don't remember wheree I was LOL!!!...will have to go find that thread!!

hugs,train
Old 12-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Trainlady, I think I am following you all over the boards tonight...lol

The most important thing I do is eat food in the closest stage to natural the better...when I am craving sweets...I go for grapes, raisiens, sliced apples, oranges...or berries.

I eat fiber everyday...and flax seed...I grind it up and I can put it in yogurt, on peanut butter toast, in bread when I make it, just about everything...it is good fiber and also good for your heart.
It should taste nutty...if it tastes nasty..it is rancid...I grind mine in my coffee grinder..and keep in a small jar in the fridge...I keep the whole seeds in the freezer.

I eat alot of boneless chicken breasts& brocolli..also alot of salmon,& tuna.

When I am having a chocolate fit...I grab a chocolate tootsie roll lollipop.

I find activity is the best for me, and also the hardest challenge. I am getting better, even with a bum knee..lol

Love, janet
Old 12-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well...I'll try this again as I did reply and my old post was knocked out........
What is flax seed? I don't have a grinder. Is that something I can just buy and sprinkle on my cereal?

Janet, you are an inspiration to me!! I wish I had the kind of will power and motivation you have. I have such a sweet tooth though that it rules my life!! Really!!

You said you grabbed raisins or berries when you have a sweet tooth. I like raisins and berries too but I NEED cookies and candy and icecream!!!!!!!!!!

Or pie!! Or Cake!!!!

I don't have any problems with my blood sugar or cholesterol, believe it or not but I do need to lose 20 more pounds. I lost 10 pounds eralier by counting calories and just cutting down on sugar. I can't diet in December though.

So, I am motivated to start up again in January.

Oh, did I mention the Pepsi!!!!.........

Hugs, train
Old 12-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

HEALTH-PROMOTING PROPERTIES OF FLAX
Flax oil, flax seeds, and the omega-3 fatty acids they contain are good for your health. Here are some of the ways flax helps your body.

1. Flax promotes cardiovascular health. The ultra-high levels of omega-3 fatty acids lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels. Fish oils and algae are also good sources of essential fatty acids.

2. Flax promotes colon health. It has anti-cancer properties and, as a natural lubricant and a rich fiber source, it lowers the risk of constipation.

3. Flax supplements can boost immunity. One study showed that school children supplemented with less than a teaspoon of flax oil a day had fewer and less severe respiratory infections than children not supplemented with flax oil.

4. Flax provides fats that are precursors for brain building. This is especially important at the stage of life when a child's brain grows the fastest, in utero and during infancy. A prudent mom should consider supplementing her diet with a daily tablespoon of flax oil during her pregnancy and while breastfeeding.

5. Flax promotes healthy skin. I have used flax oil as a dietary supplement in my patients who seem to have dry skin or eczema, or whose skin is particularly sun-sensitive.

6. Flax may lessen the severity of diabetes by stabilizing blood-sugar levels.

7. Flax fat can be slimming. Fats high in essential fatty acids, such as flax, increase the body's metabolic rate, helping to burn the excess, unhealthy fats in the body. Eating the right kind of fat gives you a better fighting chance of your body storing the right amount of fats. This is called thermogenesis , a process in which specialized fat cells throughout the body (called brown fat) click into high gear and burn more fat when activated by essential fatty acids, especially gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). I have personally noticed that I crave less fat overall when I get enough of the healthy fats. A daily supplement of omega 3 fatty acids may be an important part of weight control programs.