Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Working Parents

Working Parents Struggling with a full time career and responsibilities of children, schedules, and homelife? This is the forum for you!

Old 08-16-2002, 02:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks katydid987! It's great sharing with like-minded women! This site is doing wonders for my self-esteem: hurray! Great idea for your dining room - maybe that'll be my next step!
Old 08-16-2002, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thank you very much. I haven't been around here very long, but I'm really loving it so far. In fact, I don't think I've seen anything negative at this site. I love that!!!! Have a great weekend.

Katie
Old 08-17-2002, 02:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey Kadydid great reply. I just thought of something in my first message I said the Dinatophia saying "Breathe deep and seek piece." Piece of what? LOL....... I meant Peace....... Whew.....
Ya know I tried the you have your own little stash of junk for my hubby and he has about a million of them around the house. LOL So I did the following. I take some stuff of his put it in a storage container date it and put it away. If after 3 to 6 months he doesnt ask for it it out in the trash it goes........ I tried talking to him about throwing his stuff away and he had an arguement for everything so I adopted this principle. Occassionally he will ask for something that I have thrown away. And since I can't remember everything I have thrown away I usually say I don't know. That is working just fine. Now I am working on a 2 large storage containers of clothes that he hasn't worn for going on 2 years. Wish me luck. As for the little one we get silly alot. everyone thinks I am pretty much crazy Hubby really thinks it, but OH Well. We play the sack of potatoes game. I pick her up and throw (for lack of a better word) her around my body asking her what type of potatoe she is, white, red, russet, when we get to sweet potatoe we get into a hug fest. I put fresh flowers in her bath. Give her a paint brush and kids paints and let her paint the tub, We have scare moments, she loves to be scared. I put whip cream on her tray and she finger paints and eats at the same time. I think the greatest is the crazy time, I put on a record and we act crazy for 5 minutes every couple of days. Lets off steam and we drop in a giggling heap.

Old 08-17-2002, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ya know, I just figured a piece is a piece and you take what you can get. Peace is great too, tho. Sounds like your dealing with your lovable packrat just perfectly. I worked for a guy that saved everything. I used to throw things away while he was at lunch. Got busted a couple of times, but by then the stuff was GONE!!! But I don't think they're that way on purpose. Everyone has their quirks, it what makes them special.

People thinking that you're crazy is actually a compliment. I love being different. I think it's refreshing. I think people say you're crazy when you do something they're afraid to let loose and do. They'd really love to do it, but they're afraid of what people will think. Hmmmmmm. They're missing out on all the fun.

OH, and I'd like to add that I did finally open email from the flylady and hit the unsubscribe link. I feel better already. It just kinda made me feel nagged to death, and I don't need that.

Catch ya later.

Katie
Old 08-17-2002, 07:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

i had to lol about the packrat hubbies. i used to have a huge carton in the garage, labelled 'old shoes steve won't throw out.' i mean seriously, they were old and worn or tossed because they are uncomfortable! after 6 years, i finally snuck them out and dumped them in the goodwill bin by the supermarket. 2 years later, he hasnt noticed, but i need to start a new carton.

rani
Old 08-17-2002, 08:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Why FlyLady works for me

Yes, I agree that FlyLady can be overwhelming at first. I am subscribed to FlyLadyMentors in order to read the inspirational messages. I just delete the reminders, because with her help I have created my daily routine. This helps me to do what is most important, instead of forgetting and sitting in front of the t.v. --what a waste of time!

My routine includes steps to getting myself and the kiddos ready in the morning. Yes, I forget to pluck my eyebrows and brush the kiddos teeth.

My routine also includes steps to kitchen cleanup and daily tidying throughout the house. The kiddos homework, reading, and bedtime routine are also in my routine.

It is hard at first-that's why you only put a few things on your list or routine and slowly add as the few become habit.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You guys are cracking me up about the packrat husbands. I feel left out, cause I don't have one. My husband throws out everything!!!!. I mean, it better move......FAST.....at our house, or it's gone.

I'm not a packrat, but as an artist, I find myself "saving" lots of stuff to use later for art projects. I can't wait til I have enough room for a studio of my own. Right now I'm using the shelf above the washer and dryer in the laundry room (really not much more than a cublcle) and a small work bench area recently set up in the garage for cutting and grinding glass. I also have several plastic bins under my bed full of art supplies. Never know what you'll need!!!

OMG, maybe I am a packrat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Katie
Old 08-17-2002, 10:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

FlyLady Not!

Tami, there's no doubt in my mind that the Fly Lady has helped many get better organized and if that makes them happy I think that's great. I've seen her name come up in a very positive light all through this website and I absolutely respect that. It's just that being a perfectionist in many areas in my life I've had to learn to let some things go and my house being super clean is one of them. Also when I was looking at FlyLady's ideas, being who I am, I started thinking hmm maybe I should be doing this or doing that so I decided to get out before I got down on myself. It's nice to know that other people felt the same way.

Katie - unsubscribing: good for you! - even though I know you were deleting everything before anyway! Shelves in your laundry room and underbed storage for your art supplies, hey who needs to be better organized than that! What do you do with the ground and cut glass- sounds interesting! I really hope for you that you get your art studio one day even if it's a tiny space. Something all to yourself, that sounds great. That's the other thing with letting go of the cleaning, it's super to let it happen for the kids but it's also important to find time for ourselves. I will continue to work on that one...

I thought I was crazy to post what I did but you know what...it's a great relief and boy was I in a good mood all day after that!

I'm also getting a good laugh out of these posts - thanks everyone! My husband is also a non-packrat. Although I don't think I'm a big packrat, there are things I tend to hold on to for too long. I'm getting better though - each time I get stuff ready for the Canadian Diabetes Collection Crew I put a few items in there that I'm not sure I want to give up. I don't think there's anything I've regretted giving away.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi guys. I agree. I'm having so much fun with these posts. It's a lot of fun. Hey casparkat, I suppose a garage sale is out of the question??? Sounds like your husband would be like the guy on tv, taking everything back inside.

I'm a stained glass artist, sugarspicenpuppytails. Just starting out on a new venture, and I love it. My 20 year old will be moving out soon and I'll turn his room into a studio. BUT I'M NOT IN A HURRY!!!! I'd rather have him here and I tell him that all the time. He's taking criminal justice classes and planning to attend the police academy this spring. He's looking at houses now and has already qualified for a mortgage. I'm very proud of him.

I do all kinds of art - watercolor, acrylic, mosaics, etc. I love to paint furniture!!! I have tons of stuff, stencils, brushes, paints, posterboard, old greeting cards, etc. I've tried to keep everything organized so I can find it. I keep a notebook full of pictures and ideas for inspiration. Anytime I see something I like (the design, the color combination, etc.) I put it in the notebook.

Enough about me. Everyone doing ok today??? Hope so.

Katie
Old 08-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

katie, yes, its out of the question now, barring a miraculous recovery for me. in the last 3 mo, i have lost use of 3 limbs and the 4th is going numb now. its all he cam do to take care o f me, cook, and do laundry, anything else is impossible.

rani