Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Working Parents

Working Parents Struggling with a full time career and responsibilities of children, schedules, and homelife? This is the forum for you!

Old 07-23-2002, 04:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question From Stay at Home to Back at Work

Hello Everyone!

I am very interested in what many of you would consider a major asset to your work wardrobe. I will be making the transistion from jeans and T-shirts to dressing for the office. I am on a strict budget until I actually start getting several paychecks. My question for you, what is your favorite "for the office look"? I live in small town, USA so there is no Mall. Yes, the major store here is Wal-Mart, but I don't want to be their catalog girl. (I love shopping there, but not for office clothes!) I am a plus-size pear, so any suggestions would help. Hopefully, I won't be plus for too much longer.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2002, 06:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would go for a few interchangable pieces. Maybe a pair or two of slacks, a longer skirt, a nice top or two... It all depends on what you can find that doesn't cost a bundle, but you won't feel like you're wearing the same thing all the time. Maybe go for a jacket, also. I would just make sure the colors complement each other. Then when you're able to afford a few more outfits, try ordering online or from catalogs. Good luck with the new job!!
Old 07-24-2002, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for responding! I guess yesterday was one of my down days, where nothing seemed to go right. Looking in my closet was a downer, but today is a new day!

I am looking at several mix and match pieces, but my biggest fear in is not having a professional image. I have been looking and should be getting some catalogs soon. I look on the internet, but I don't order. I know there are great bargains, but in order for me to have been able to stay at home, I had to give up the credit cards. The wisest choice, I have ever made.

Old 07-24-2002, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Do you have consignment shops, a Goodwill or Salvation Army store nearby ? We have all three in our area and lately I have been checking all of them out. If you find out what the dates are that they put out new clothes and then shop quite frequently, you might find some good deals.

Im a pear shape too so I know how you feel. I own long blazers that fall below my butt and create a nice smooth line. Also, straight dresses...nothing that is cinched around the waist . If you dress in solid colors and then accent in jewelry, scarves and such, you can pull of a conservative look. I agree with the mix and match system.

Another tip that I think is very useful is to make sure your hair and makeup ( if you wear it) is done in a way that is simple and quiet..nothing loud like wild hair and way over done makeup. Accent your positive features.

The best tip of all is to stand tall and smile !!

Good Luck to you !!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello everyone!

Ajrsmom, thanks for replying! I am thinking that when I first started this thread, I was in a blue mood, sort of corresponse with that time, my kids going back to school soon, and the frustration of finding a job in small town America.

I am going to check out the consignment shops, this weekend and Tuesday coming. I agree on the conservative look, this is something I have always aspired to. I rather have people notice me and not my clothes.

I do wonder why everything for the late summer and fall seems to be sleeveless or some outrageous print. What is up with that? I do work out, but chubby arms are still chubby and don't look great on a chubby, pear shaped woman. (me) The line is all wrong! If your bottom is already big, why would I want to put some crazy, giant print or strips (that call attention) on my bottom?

I like to look good, just like any other woman out there, but just because it looks good on "Twiggy" doesn't mean it going to look good on a plus size woman like me.

Here's hoping your day is all (my favorite flower!!)
Old 07-27-2002, 10:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Bernice- Good for you about the credit cards! They always seem to get me in trouble! I'm on the chubby side, too, so I can understand what you're going through. I can understand about your anxiety about trying to look good. I'm a SAHM, but I had a part-time job around X-mas where I worked at a shopping mall. I was very worried about how I looked. The best advice I can give is to find things that are comfortable. I don't think there's anything worse than wearing something you have to tug at or adjust all the time. You'll feel a lot better and you'll look better because of it. Good luck!!!!
Old 07-27-2002, 04:25 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree with what has been posted here. It's amazing how many outfits you can get from a few pieces of clothing! Some items to look for in the consignment and thrift stores, and yes, at WalMart

-- colorful scarves, checkered, floral, and paisley for differnet looks
-- large costume jewelry pins, cameos, shiny gold lapel pins
-- beaded necklaces, different colors, gold and silver too

Also look for one or two

-- vests
-- jackets/blazers

And of course don't forget SHOES! Every woman has lots of shoes right? LOL! I always made sure I had a pair of shoes in navy blue, black, brown, and off white.

1 or 2 skirts, a couple of pairs of slacks, and 3 or 4 tops with different neutral colors and you'll have a marvelous wardrobe. Keep your slacks, skirts, and tops solid and neutral colors. Use scarves and jewelry to jazz it up instead of buying a bunch of different print or patterned tops or skirts.

Hope this helps!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 07-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Oh, I had to DO this myself about 10 years ago! I applied for and got a fabulous job, after not working for about 5 years, having a baby and none of my old office wear fit anymore. I needed a wardrobe, FAST AND CHEAP.

Luckily, I had two outfits I could wear. And luckily, the two week training was in an area that had a large Goodwill and two consignment shops, so guess what I did on all my lunch breaks that two weeks?

I purchased several jackets: black, teal (a staple color for me), red, ivory, khaki, and a black/white stripe. I purchased 8 skirts, mostly in prints that coordinated those colors, and several solids. I purchased 6 shell tops and 3 button-down tops, all in washable silk-look fabrics in solid colors. I bought one black and red dress and one black/teal two-piece dress. The total was about a hundred dollars, and I was set. I already had shoes: simple pumps in black, bone, and white, and a pair of teal alligator shoes I'd gotten at Payless, but like I said, I wear a lot of teal. Getting dressed was a cinch... pick a skirt, pick a coordinating top and jacket, all done.

Rani
Old 07-27-2002, 05:46 PM
kellyandkids

Good question

You already seem to know an important fact: that you don't want to work just to pay for the clothes.

I suggest finding a Weekenders consultant; they carry your size now. They sell basic pieces that are the foundation of a wardrobe building system. Look great and feel comfortable. Here's the link http://www.weekendersusa.com

Hint if you like the clothes (or anything sold by sales parties) invest in it and by the business kit and save a bundle.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Bernice...

maybe these sites can help you...and you can also send for their catalogues...... adding a scarf...or a loose formed jacket can change the look of an outfit too.......

www.justmysize.com

www.silhouettes.com

www.oldpueblotraders.com

They have reasonably priced clothing in those sizes like S M LG XL etc that can be worn even if you lose a bit of weight...

If for nothing else. it will give you ideas on how to balance the wardrobe.....

Hope these help! *s*

And..if you really look, you can make a few nice outfits from walmart that look professional...... If not too inquisitive, what position have you obtained? *s*

Jeannie