Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Working Parents

Working Parents Struggling with a full time career and responsibilities of children, schedules, and homelife? This is the forum for you!

Old 07-28-2002, 12:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ladies,

You are all wonderful!!! Thanks for all the suggestions and all the sights. Sometimes, standing back and getting outside help makes all the difference.

My family thinks I am nuts, but that's okay, I know the truth. I think they have forgotten that Mom can also work outside the home as well.

I am hoping a job offer falls my way, but so far I haven't heard anything yet. In this small town, it makes a difference of "who you know", but getting the word out that I am looking for something, has given me some great leads.

Have a great week!
Old 07-30-2002, 04:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm not back to work yet, but I do try to present a somewhat professional image at my son's IEP meetings-with all the administrators there, it gives me the little boost in confidence and self assuredness I need to make sure my son gets all the support he can.
My biggest asset is the St Vincent de Paul thrift store, Goodwill and consignment shops-with one additional help- Rit Dye. All the black and navy clothes from the different shops will match better.
Pretty much all my bottoms are navy, black, a form of khaki, or denim. Also, the church run thrift stores often have "Church clothes" that are still in very good condition, just no longer the size needed.
When you hit the consignment shops, take along some of your kids and yours no longer worn but in great condition clothes to help build up a credit there, too.
Last tip- Spend your money on comfy shoes and great hose!
Old 07-31-2002, 06:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

More suggestions...

You can also try www.blair.com

But before you do, make sure you go to www.dealofday.com - they often have free shipping or discount codes posted for Blair. I know that some of the Blair mailers that come in the mail or are found in magazines have stuff that looks kinda "old-ladyish", but their website has some pretty nice things at decent prices, and they do a lot of mix and match stuff as well.

I agree with the above posts about Goodwill, Sally Ann and consignment shops. Do you have a Value Village or Savers in your area? Even thrift stores can be great for adding pieces to your wardrobe on a budget. As for Wal-Mart, they're a GREAT resource for accessories that don't break the bank!!! Above all, BE COMFORTABLE!!! You may look completely conservative and just what the office was looking for but if you're not comfortable, it can interfere with your work! Best of luck to you in your return to the working world!!

- Henry Rowland
Old 08-03-2002, 06:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Black. cant go wrong w/ black.
It looks professional and downplays people's size (which I'm all for:p )
Also khaki pants. It goes w/ anything!
Good luck!
Dance like nobody's watching

-Satchel Paige
Old 08-08-2002, 02:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I actually have been working for years, but due to finances, gaining weight,etc. mY wardrobe had become very unflattering. )Of course my children looked good). I found several great deals in March at my local Hecht's department store.
I bought some basic colored peices ( black jacket, skirt, shell,and pants, Taupe shirt, shell and skirt, and a couple of other separates all at the same time.) on clearance. I had some basic jewelry( hoops, pearls, etc.) and several scarves. I have purchased several more scarves on clearance at Walmart. My favorite place for jewelry accessories is my local Cato store because they have tons of stuff on clearance. I have also found great deals on jewelry and scarves at thrift stores, yard sales and even Antique shows.
I can mix and match most of the peices and come up with tons of different combinations. I wear lots of jackets to work and in fact I have 3 in different lengths now. One, it projects a business image and the second reason is I am a social worker and some times I am in court or the office where is is cold and two sometimes I'm on the road or in clients homes and it can get hot, so Off comes the jacket and I have a light blouse or shell on.
I would check local thrift shops and also your local cleaners. They often have clothing left there too long and are willing to sell it very cheaply ( and you know it's clean!lol)
Good luck!
Old 08-26-2002, 05:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Bernice,
I did exactly as you did, went from stay at home mom to full-time work after 14yrs . I am a reference librarian. Believe it or not I went to Wal-Mart and bought a basic short sleeve sweater in Red, Black and White. Then I bought slacks in blue, black and brown. I interchanged a lot. I also went to my local consignment store. What a life saver. I got some really beautiful clothing for near to nothing. As I continued to work I gradually added to my wardrobe. Each paycheck I would buy one new item, making sure that I could interchange with others in my wardrobe.

I also got rid of my credit cards. Best thing I ever did. Whatever you do don't use credit cards to buy a new wardrobe.

Now I have diffrenct long skirts, slacks, blazers, and blouses. They are all interchangable.

Good luck.
Don't forget to reward yourself, you desearve it!!!!!
Mrs. Bookworm