Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Working Parents

Working Parents Struggling with a full time career and responsibilities of children, schedules, and homelife? This is the forum for you!

Old 07-14-2002, 01:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky home business

hi y`all - i have a home business by using the computer to sell - ebay is where i sell (also buy)..it`s a lot of fun - meet lots of new friends all over the country (even the world)...and make some $$$, as well!!!..

.there are many ways to do it and some of them are: sell your old kids clothing (and yours) shoes included - resell things from the garage sales - flea markets - sell knick knacks you no longer want or need - take in everything people want to get rid of so you can sell it!!! pass the word!!!

there are things you will have to learn but in time it will turn into a great business - i have done it for 3 yr now and am still learning every day...getting a group together is an idea - so everyone can help everyone else....maybe a chat room set aside for that purpose could work....i would join if anyone is interested...sharing info is the best way to do it...

this is my first time on and i hope to come online here in the future - a freind sent me here and i like it very much - i have some subjects i would love to bring up as a topic soon....

a friend in s. florida.......mimi

p.s. - what is a wham ????
Old 07-15-2002, 08:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've been thinking about trying this but am totally intimidated by it. How do you do it? How much do you make? (I'm not looking for millons, just a few extra bucks) What sells?
Old 07-15-2002, 12:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Great idea!

I just started ebaying at the recommendation of another familycorner pal. It's a bit confusing starting out so I love the idea of a establishing a group. Is this something you would do on ebay?

I have to admit ebay is a bit dangerous on the buying side, but what a blast. There are a lot of good deals but I've found somethings to be more expensive that what I can get in a store or online. I've found some hard to find items which is a real plus for me.

Selling to me seems like a great way of getting rid of the stuff in my garage instead of having a tag sale. I've notice people grouping stuff together like 4T boys outfits. I hope to get organized enough to start this.

With the postage hike, have you found other mailing services (UPS or Airborne) to be less expensive?

p.s. As to wham - that's work at home mom
Old 02-08-2003, 10:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I sell on ebay, not full time. I have been able to thin out some things. Also if you have a web based business, it is one of the cheapest ways to advertise. Include your website in the html of your sale item.

It can be discouraging to see no bids on your items....but you just perservere.

Great to start this group.
Old 07-03-2003, 06:09 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have done very well both selling and buying on ebay. I just started with a piece or two of my DD's clothes when she outgrew them. Now, I have gone to my maternity clothes, baby clothes, books, stamps for crafting, action figures, CD's, VHS tapes, etc. We haven't made millions, but it has helped with our Disney vacation and everyday running $$. I have also bought most of my DS's clothes from ebay. I have been well pleased with what I've bought. You can really find just about anything you'd ever want for great deals!!
DS (4months)
Old 02-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Can somebody give me an idea what the total upfront cost would be to start selling on Ebay? What is the difference in prices between selling say one article of clothing vs a lot of 10 pieces?

I have a lot of baby clothes and boys clothes that I would like to sell and Im trying to figure out if it would be better to do it the Ebay way, the newspaper ads or just a yard sale.

Another big question that I have about Ebay, how do you figure out the shipping cost for the items?

I would really appreciate any help to these questions and all other tips that anyone can provide.

Thanks!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-26-2004, 04:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

YEAH, I have the same question about the shpg prices. I've bought plenty on ebay and recently want to begin selling. I bought something last year and paid $1.75 for shipping thinking it would come in a nice box or something to warrant the cost- NOT! The dope sent my item in a plain envelope with a 37c stamp
I was going to leave him a negative rating, but then re-read the description, never did specify how he was going to send it...

On a lighter note: my cousin in AL sells all the time and has even financed her entire college education !!! She goes around to auctions and garage sales mostly. I think she's just plain lucky. Her hints are to be very descriptive and friendly; and always include a picture.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:29 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Juliecc913 - Just go to eBay and register for an account. You click on "sell" at the top and follow the prompts to add your listing. Be as descriptive as you can. For clothing, tell if there are any stains, rips, tears, etc, what size and color. Look through the current listings to see what other similar items are selling for.

merrymom - there are message boards on eBay, there are discussion groups on yahoogroups that pertain to ebay, and of course we can use this board As for eBay being dangerous on the buying side, I have been buying off of eBay for over two years and have only left negative feedback for one person for not sending me the item. A month later I eventually got it. Always click on the number next to the users name to see their feedback rating. For example, if the user is "tammytoo", you would see tammytoo (223). That means that 223 unique people have left feedback for her. You can click on that number and see how many positives, nuetrals, and negatives they have. If any negatives, you can browse through the feedback and see what the negative was for. As for postage, I always use proprity mail and media mail. Media mail is for books, CD's, DVD's and videos only. For oversixed packages I use UPS.

ajrsmom - As for start up costs for eBay, there aren't any really. eBay charges fees based on your winning bid and on any addition features you use when you list your items. As for Lots vs. single items, lots are always better. So group your clothing together with like sizes and pieces. For example, I just sold 25 Pony Pal chapter books for $62.00. If I would have sold each book individually, many of them might not have sold. Not to mention that the packaging is much easier, send to ONE person rather than multiple people. Clothes go quite well in lots. Baby clothes go really well! As for shipping, the post office and UPS both have shipping calculators on their websites to help determine the cost of shipping. eBay actually has a feature when you list your item that allows you to enter the weight of your item and the form of shipping. It puts a calculator on your ebay item's page and people type in their zip code to get the shipping amount.

Here are some things that you should really have to sell on eBay properly:

Digital camera - I don't buy ANYTHING on eBay that does not have a picture. I also won't buy if the picture is poor quality.

scale - you can get a shipping scale (on eBay LOL) for a decent price, usually $20-50. You CAN use a bathroom scale, but it won't be completely accurate. Remember to weigh your items completely packed and ready to ship! If you weigh them without the box and packing material, YOU could end up paying more than you collect.

PayPal account - I have been using PayPal for 4 years. NEVER had a problem. When you hear from people that PayPal took money out of their accounts, that's not what happened. There are a lot of con-artists out there that will send emails out looking like it came from PayPal. In it it says that they need your username and password for somethng. PayPal would NEVER request that information! People enter it and the con-artist gets their money. PayPal is very safe and is intertwined with eBay. In fact, I don't accept anything BUT PayPal now for my auctions. Money orders take too long.

Here are the websites for the post office and UPS, wouldn't hurt to have a UPS account either ;-)

UPS
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/index.html

USPS
http://www.usps.com/tools/calculatep...lculatepostage

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-26-2004, 04:33 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by LJsmom
I bought something last year and paid $1.75 for shipping thinking it would come in a nice box or something to warrant the cost- NOT! The dope sent my item in a plain envelope with a 37c stamp
I was going to leave him a negative rating, but then re-read the description, never did specify how he was going to send it...
Very good point. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS read the description. I was looking for a PS2 game console last year and found an auction that was bid up to $162.50 and the description said that they were bidding on the BOX ONLY!!!! I don't think those people noticed How awful! Just be careful, most people on eBay are honest, watch the feedback ratings and red the descriptions carefully, including the shipping specs.

Another note on feedback. When you start selling, feedback is very important to you. You will want to come up with a short email that says their item has been shipped and to please leave you positive feedback when the item arrives. In turn, leave positive feedback for the buyers as soon as they pay.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thanks for all of the advice, Amanda.

I really need to sort through these clothes and get them outta here! Now all I need to do is get motivated to do it. Ive lost that and Im having a hard time finding it again.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!