Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Working Parents

Working Parents Struggling with a full time career and responsibilities of children, schedules, and homelife? This is the forum for you!

Old 02-27-2004, 02:25 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow, I guess the saying goes ask and you shall receive.
But, I didn't even have to ask, someone else did it for me.

I wanted to get started selling items on ebay, but, I was also worried that there was an upfront fee, to sell on ebay.

Thanks for all the great information Amanda!

Now just like Ajrsmom, I need to get my stuff together, and get started.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 03-01-2004, 01:01 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thought I would share this with you ebayers-2-be. This is a newsletter I get from someone that makes her living selling kid's clothes on eBay. She offers an ebook for $4.99 with some good info in it, I think you can get it from her auctions:

Hello Friend!

Spring is in the air and life is getting easier at my house! We have been cooped up for so long here in the COLD midwest. Spring is a welcome relief from the severe cabin fever that had settled on my two-year-old twin boys! They go outside and run like they've never run before and then konk out from exhaustion!

Rachel, over at Gymboree News and Gossip ( www.gymboreenews.com. ), has graciously offered to let me share one of her recent newsletters with you. I have had so many questions about Gymboree and Gymbucks lately, and this newsletter is really helpful. If you aren't already a subscriber, I highly recommend joining. I'm not a Gymboree expert, but with her newsletter, I don't need to be. She fills me in on any information I need about Gymboree.

Here you go - enjoy:

SELLER Q & A

As I mentioned before, I've gotten several emails since Gymbucks earnings started asking what to buy and how to sell it. I've been so swamped with trying to get the login problem fixed that I haven't had a chance to respond, but many of them were similar, so I thought it might be a good idea to go over them in the newsletter in case there are others with like questions. As is typically the case during Gymbucks earnings (and redemption) periods, there's not much news, so this seems like a good time.

1. I have bought quite a bit of the "Whale Watching" line and of the "Vacation Time", my question is do you feel that these are items that I should hold on to until fall? I would definitely hold the Whale Watching items until fall, unless you have the navy blue dress shoes or the navy polka dots pleats dress. If you have the navy pleats dress and an accessory or two (socks, hair thingys), even better! Those seem to be the only pieces that seem to be selling even halfway decent at the moment. Remember, you can find this stuff out the exact same way I do: check the completed items!

As for Vacation Time, only a few pieces from this line are going well also. The swimsuits seem to be doing nicely and the jeans are doing okay too. Also the reversible scenic print skorts are selling pretty consistently too. The buzz is off this line, so it's going to be hard to sell it right now. If you are just trying to earn Gymbucks and your store has some of the pieces listed above, you may be able to hit break-even to make back what you spent earning Gymbucks. For the rest, you'll want to hold until next spring. As detailed in the last newsletter, this is an obnoxious Gymbucks round. I am leaving the full article in this edition for another week for those of you who are new to the site or may have missed it last week.

2. My store has a bunch of Glamour Kitty left. Should I buy it? I think that Glamour Kitty is going to be a popular line for resell in the fall and even now the big girl jeans are selling really well. BUT Gymboree still has the prices for this line really high, much higher than several of the recent lines from the last couple months. For that reason, I wouldn't buy it to resell at this time. At the bottom of this article, I'll go over what reasonable prices are to buy for holding and reselling.

3. Should I buy the new Sweet As Sugar line and hope to make back what I paid to earn Gymbucks? Not unless you would like to lose a lot of money. Since Sweet As Sugar is the Easter line, the prices are up 35% or so on the dresses that would normally be a good bet. None of the Sweet As Sugar pieces are selling for anywhere near what you would purchase them at, so this is one to completely avoid for resale.

4. How much should I pay for items that I am buying to resell for next season? As a general rule of thumb, I don't usually pay more than about $5 for leggings & basic tops, $7 or less for novelty T shirts, $10 or $12 for pants and dresses, and $15 or $20 for coats. This is obviously not when I'm buying the new line with Gymbucks, but this is about what I usually shoot for when I'm buying to hold. To do this, you have to be really picky about what and when you buy and buy with the promotions. Then when you sell, generally it's best to sell in small sets of one outfit with an accessory or so.

5. I'm new to selling. Where should I start? Start with what's in your kids' closets. I'm not kidding! Start with something you don't have as much stake in. This is a terrible round of Gymbucks to jump into selling with, and you need to give yourself time to learn the ropes and figure out what sells well and why. Go look in the Seller's Corner in the articles under Getting Started. Articles in there are specifically for you to figure out where to begin. Ebay is huge and daunting to get into. Learn what you're doing and avoid making avoidable mistakes. Check out some of the other resources in the Mandatory Sites link (also in the Seller's Corner) for more help from the pros. I particularly like AuctionMoms Newsletter and Here Comes the Stork. Both of the women who run these sites have been selling for years and practically have it down to a science. Learn from them!

WHAT SHOULD I BUY TO EARN GYMBUCKS?

I went over this a little bit in the last edition, but I thought I'd cover it a little more and talk a little about some of the difficulties presented with this round. To earn Gymbucks, you spend $50 and earn a $25 Gymbuck. Then when the redemption period comes around, you spend another $50 but pay for $25 of that with a Gymbuck, so you spend $100 to get $25 of free merchandise. This amounts to a 25% discount.

Now, that doesn't sound so hot, but as resellers the initial $50 can often be offset by selling the merchandise you purchased to earn the Gymbucks. This leaves changes your discount ratio and if you are careful to buy ony in $50 increments for earnings and buy only in $50 increments up the amount you can spend with Gymbucks, you can drop your discount amount down to pretty close to 50%.

Having said that, this particular round is a bit of a stinker to do this with for a variety of reasons. They don't have a sale going on for the new merchandise at the moment, which makes it difficult to buy the new line and sell it right away and still break even (especially since the Easter line pieces are more expensive than normal ones).

Second, the on-sale spring stuff has been out long enough to lose its buzz so you wouldn't want to really sell it now, but it's still too expensive to buy and hold for next year. Third, since they had the huge winter clearance sell-off in January, there is hardly any of the winter stuff left to buy and hold. Bad news all the way around for resellers. This leaves very few options, namely buying things for your own personal use for your kids or buying things for gifts for others for baby showers or birthdays or whatever.

You can try some of the other strategies, but they will be risky and you may likely find yourself returning things and turning your Gymbucks back in if they don't sell. If you do decide to try it, I would probably go with accessories like the gloves (biggest size you can find), Gymbelles, and the dressy purse. If it were me, I would sit it out (I liquidated most of my inventory in August so I could focus on the newsletter).

The interesting point here is Gymboree's strategy. I am not sure if this is intentional or accidental, but it's much different than what we were seeing last summer and fall. At that time, they were running Circle of Friends sales or Tiered sales (both of which get roughly 30% off the new lines) concurrently with the beginning of Gymbucks earnings.

For resellers, this was great because it allowed us to be able to pick up the new lines and unload them on eBay right away and rack up a large volume of Gymbucks doing it. This further allowed us to spend gobs of money during redemption. So let's recap ~ we spend massive amounts of money at Gymboree not once but twice to make money ourselves reselling their wonderful clothing, which is also excellent free advertising for them.

I got into Gymboree in the first place after purchasing a lot of clothing which contained a Gymboree dress. I noticed how much better quality that dress was than anything else my kids had ever worn and that got me poking around the store a little bit. Within two months I had started buying Gymboree in copious amounts to sell on eBay and put on my girls. I had also gone from buying things only at rock bottom prices for my own kids to buying things at higher prices because they were adorable and I had to have them. I have heard this story over and over from many, many other eBay and/or Gymboree moms. Ebay sellers bring in customers to Gymboree. Everybody wins!

(Her newsletter continues in the next post)

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Since this round of Gymbucks comes with the problems for resellers that I mentioned above, I am kind of wondering what they are trying. Part of running a business is testing new strategies to see which ones bring in the most income, so that doesn't bother me in principle but it's a bit frustrating in practice! They could be relying on the fact that this Gymbucks earning is starting with the debut of the Easter lines and hoping that the holiday lines themselves will be drawing in the customers without a discount.

I think that is a risky strategy especially considering classier dresses and more formal items in the Easter lines are considerably more expensive (dresses are $49 instead of $32). They are clearly beautiful items, but people tend to shy away from a markup and just wait until the sale shows up. Lots of people waiting to shop means fewer people in the store and fewer impulse buys, meaning slow sales. Then since people have fewer Gymbucks to spend, the same problem will repeat during redemption! Strange strategizing all the way around. Maybe they'll change their mind and run a promotion during earnings here sometime. Hehe. I'll keep you posted as usual!

So to recap, for this round I would stick with items for personal use and/or gifts as opposed to reselling unless your store somehow ends up with an enormous cache of winter items like Holiday Magic or something that you can pick up for dirt cheap and hold onto until next season. If you are new to selling on eBay, there are lots of other ways to get started, so hop on over to the Seller's Corner on the website and click the "Getting Started" link for a couple articles on that.

Well that's it for now. Have a great night!

Thanks Rachel! If you buy/sell Gymboree, check out her site today -it is a must-have in my book!

Things to do this month (March, 2004):

Wrap up Spring Sales
If you have any spring/Easter things to sell, you'll need to sell them ASAP. Spring sales will continue to do well for a couple more weeks, but that's about it!

Start Selling Summer!
Summer sales are already picking up, but they will really be in full swing by the end of March. Its always a good idea to take pictures early so that you can have auctions ready-to-go when you see that sales are hot!

Don't forget to sign-up for cash-back rebates for most of your online purchases! For example, Gap.com will give you 4% cash back for every purchase you make and you can still use coupon codes! Sign up here : Ebates .
https://www.ebates.com/landing_icesk...nding_iceskate

I have been thinking a lot about the referral payout and I have decided to keep it at 50% for a while. Many of you have come up with very creative ways to promote the site and I think you should have the benefit of a higher payout for a while longer.

I'll commit to 50% payout through June 1, 2004. After that it will lower to 20%, which is still great for little or no work on your part!

Way to go for some of you who are already raking in the bucks

Please check here for more details: http://herecomesthestork.org/affiliate.html.

That's it for this month! There are many more tips on the website www.herecomesthestork.org. , so please check there if you have more questions.

Wishing you many GREEN auctions in honor of St. Patrick!
Sincerely,
Kendra

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~. ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

I found a very creative lady who has connections with the Easter Bunny.

For a small fee, my boys will receive a very special letter from the Easter Bunny and maybe even a surprise in the package! They just love getting mail!

If you would like more inforamtion on her fabulous service, please email Jess at [email protected]. Be sure to tell her I sent you to receive $1 off!

Check out my current eBay auctions. I have many auctions up and you get a $2 member discount off the ship cost of any item. You just need to give me your user name when you pay.
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ecomesthestork

My new favorite picture hosting, template and resource site is The SellerSourceBook. I can't say enough about it. Check it out soon~ you'll be so glad you did! SellerSourceBook.
http://www.sellersourcebook.com/index.html

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-15-2004, 12:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love EBAY. It can be expensive, but I make sure I look around locally for whatever I want or need and then I start to go online. I'm very careful about bidding also, you could wind up paying more than you bargin for.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I did it!!!

Buckled down and posted my first listing. Dd1 got a girl scout uniform that she never wore (and is no longer in scouts). I figured this was the perfect time of year to try to unload it.
Wish me luck !

**A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands**
Old 09-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks for all the great tips Amanda!!

I am an avid e-bayer both buying and selling. I have been lucky and never in countered any problems. All items I have bought have been as described. Make sure you really read the description. I was looking an item for 2 dollars but the shipping was 25.00 so was not worth the value of the item. Many people miss ready all the fine print in someones auction. Being in Canada i am very aware of shipping costs. I always e-amil the seller and ask what the exact coast of shipping would be. If they don't get back to me than I know I don't want to deal with that seller anyways.
As far as selling goes I have sold clothes, toys and some antique books and toys. Some items I did really well on and others well just no interest. but it always seems to even out in the end. A toy I thought wou;d sell for 5 dollars sold for 65 and the one I thought would sell for 1 dollar does not move but In the end I have not lost. I found clothes sold better in small lots, unless it is certain brands and in like new condition. Good pics are so important, make sure your lighting is good. I won't buy from someone if I can't see a good picture.

Hope this helps

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ebay can be intimidating at first, but once you get that first item out there, it becomes addicting. At least for me it did. I sell things randomly on ebay, but more importantly, I get random stuff off ebay. It's great.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

non-payers

Has anyone ever run into buyers that are not paying you? I'm still new at this and will always believe in the philosophy that people are generally good...but I can't stand it !!!

This is my 3rd run-in with these people (and I have less than 20 sales).
The 1st guy only took three reminder emails. Now these last 2 I've sent 4 + the one from Paypal and an invoice. To make matters stickier, they both are bidding on other items currently-so I know they are not on vacation or server is down.

My descriptions very obviously say contact me in 3 days with pmt choice and full pmt due in 7. They both are running into the 7 with still no contact. I've asked both if they even still want the items... no answer still.
I'm basically a good person, just trying to make a few $ and not out for trouble, but the end of my rope is near.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hey there

I have over 600 transactions on ebay. I have only come across 2 nonpayers. After many e-mails and after I had sent a remninder notice through e-bay I filed non paying bidder claims so I would get me fees returned and that person gets a bad mark against them. I also told them that i would leave negative feedback if the item was not paid for in full as per the agreement. It is pretty hard to avoid people ike this all together but I do think they are the minority. Just make sure you follow e-bays system, don't get nasty and if anything you will get your fees back and you can relist the item.

hope this helps

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 11-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks, that was my next step. Going to give it through the weekend.
Any other advice on how to leave feedback thats kind of neutral but still positive IF they do end up paying within my deadline? All the pos's I've seen are so sugary.

Funny thing about this one person is that during my research I found they snapped up (and paid instantly) for postcards featuring Black Cotton Pickers in this one series. HA, go figure I find one, list it, they won and now don't want mine!!! Its not like any of these 2 spent a fortune either.