Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Working Parents

Working Parents Struggling with a full time career and responsibilities of children, schedules, and homelife? This is the forum for you!

Old 04-25-2002, 06:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question Whats your night time ritual?

Okay you've been on your feet ALL day. You're tired and cranky. Dinner was a disaster. Homework isn't done yet. It's bathtime and bedtime. But all you want is some MOM TIME!

So how do you handle the crazy evenings?
Old 07-08-2002, 08:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My daughter and I have had the same nighttime ritual since she was very small. It is amazing to me what they become used to. At bed, I will sit by her side and after we we say our prays I sing her a song. I found a song book at Barnes and Noble one time and picked out a song called "Little One". I wanted something special for her. It stuck and now she cannot sleep until I have sung "Little One" to her. She is now almost three and for the first time last night she started singing with me. It does not have to be anything lengthy or complex, just consistent! Good luck!

-Wendy
Old 07-08-2002, 08:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

Oh Kimmy you are playin' my song!!! I could have written that, it sounds just like I feel!!! So, how do I handle all of the evening craziness?? With a very tired smile lol! Actually, even though I have been a mom for years (LOL) and usually have a little more bounce in my step, sometines it is all so overwhelming. My sweetie is great about helping out with the kiddos, but not so much with giving me "Me" time. I love my family, but occassionally we all need a break! We try to switch up who does what every so often, and we work pretty well as a team. We have tried all sorts of plans, charts, etc. but we never seem to find one we can follow regularly. By the time supper is made and books found and laundry thrown in, I just wanna vegetate. I feel like the worst mom in the world!!! But some days, when it all flows well, it's heaven.

Mom of 3 boys
Patrick, 14
Lucas, 12
Ethan, 5

Wife to
Scotty
Old 07-08-2002, 08:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

After submitting my post, I read Wendy's as well....I do have a certain little something like that we do with my 3 yr old, Ethan...either me or Scotty, whoever is not working late, will rock and sing along with musicmatch jukebox on our computer...the chair we use with it recline, swivels, rocks, etc. and is the best at rocking!!! We have several "sleepytime" songs programmed into it that we always play, and Ethan has began to sing bits of them too!! We can hit the play button and he will hear the first few bars of the first sleepytime song and ill climb up into our laps and cuddle. (Most of the time, anyway!!)
I was thinking more about the hectic, earlier part of it before!!
Having that snuggly time with my baby (!) makes me relax as well!;-)

Mom of 3 boys
Patrick, 14
Lucas, 12
Ethan, 5

Wife to
Scotty
Old 07-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

hi, I am wondering if there is any possible way for the kids to get their homework done right when they get home from school and you just go over it after supper. I find that by that time of day, the kids have had enough of school and want their down time also. With the extra time saved there, the kids could pick out their clothes etc. for the next day or make lunches. I try to make our tasks "team work". Bed time is 8:00 with 30 minutes for quiet time/reading and then we turn out lights etc. This way the whole house settles down and helps me to unwind. Sometimes the kids complain about their bedtimes - but on the other hand, I see the kids that watch tv all night or are staying up too late - they are practically on top of their desks. I may extend the bedtime this year, but it would probably be on the quiet time/reading side. Like maybe bedtime at 8:15 and lights out at 9:00 p.m. Anyways, hope this helps
Old 07-08-2002, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It was much easier when my kids were little...they are now 12 and 16. I try to make sure homework is done right after school...but I'm not here so they seem to fudge on that one alot! They both have daily chores that have to be done and they have scheduled computer time. My youngest goes to bed at 8:30/9:00 pm and my oldest at 9:30/10:00 pm. By then I am wiped out and try to spend a few minutes on here catching up. Dh works second shift so he comes in between 11:00/11:30 pm and so I usually make it to bed around 11:300/12:00! Needless to say I am whooped!

I do remember those special bedtime rituals...make them last and enjoy them while you can ladies...when they are teenagers they just look at you like you've lost your mind when you ask for a goodnight kiss....MOTHER....ewwwww!!!
Old 07-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

nite time ritual

Well
Ive been there done that when I had the 8-5 job. And we would save time by read a story while my child was in the tub. Then I'd have her bed and we could have down time by playing music mine has to have back rubs to sleep
As for homework, she has time to relax when she gets home off the bus and then we start it, that way it's out of the way and we have more time for other things like spenting time with her dad (who is always on the road)
Old 07-08-2002, 04:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My older sons (10 ans 12) have a reading time but it is longer--we usually let it be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. They are into novels right now, and read so much!! I am so glad they both like to read. My little one enjoys looking at books, but not at bedtime---he gets too excited!! As for me, lately I do most of my reading in the tub verl late at night lol!! When my sweetie wants to give me a bit of pampering, though, he brings me a drink (usually tea but very very occasionally, a glass of wine) my current book, and enough candles to light my area sufficiently, closes the door and just lets me slip away, out of the bath and into the world of....whatever I am immersed into!lol However, that has not happened in a while...we are squeezed on time right now workwise so that we can avoid a sitter, we switch up shifts. Ugh! But, I digress!! lol We all definitely need our unwinding time in our house!!;-)

Mom of 3 boys
Patrick, 14
Lucas, 12
Ethan, 5

Wife to
Scotty
Old 06-15-2004, 12:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My ritual is that I always try and kiss my girls good night. Now that I am older and usually go to sleep 1st , they always come in and say good night, love you and a kiss. My mother was not very loving, so that was the way I showed her love, by giving her a kiss goodnight.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Night time has always been crazy for us. I work full time and get home at 5:30 ot 6 PM depending on how much work I have at the office. Then Monday night it is counseling, Tuesday it is Girl Scouts, Wednesday it is Dance. I have a CODA meeting I go to on Thursday night if nothing else comes up. Friday night I am so exhausted from the week that I simply collapse.