Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Parenting Issues > Working Parents

Working Parents Struggling with a full time career and responsibilities of children, schedules, and homelife? This is the forum for you!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stress

I've read all the articles about stress and how to relieve it. I know the health risks involved with too much stress. But no matter what I do I still feel soooo stressed out at the end of the week. It seems to take the entire weekend to rejuvenate for a new work week. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any good ideas for relaxation during the week that work?
Old 08-08-2004, 08:49 PM
kellyandkids

No caffeine - no pop or candy bars - and take a real break at lunch time. Walk whenever you can. Eat some protein with breakfast.

And find a friend to confide in. Is there a hidden underlying reason that stress is hanging on and on?

I can get to sleep better with breathing exercises and this one especially: take a couple of cleaning breathes and then blow until you can't blow out anymore. Wonderful. A chidl with cancer imagined himself a wet cloud and he wrungout his worries every night. He did very well. I prefer to blow them out.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Get a cat that is some what aloof & already litter box trained. A dog or kitten would probably be too high maintenance. Studies show pets help you handle stress.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

De stress your life! I know it is hard but that is what I had to do. I suffered from chronic fatigue syndrome, depression and fibromyalgia at one point. Migraine headaches. You name it I have been through it. For the first time in a month I dont have these issues. When I get tired I take a nap. Usually save them for the weekend. It helps alot to listen to your body. But there have been a lot of times when I have felt like I am on overload.
I have 3 kids 3 yr old twins and a 6 yr old. Also have a daycare. I tend to do too much and wear myself out. Even when I worked outside the home. It is much more stressful staying home.
I actually recently changed all the household products I was using. NO KIDDING. I have not been depressed, tired or stressed. I guess I was sensitive to the toxins in the products I have been using to clean my house. I am 34 and feel better than I have since I was 18. I am not stressed out like I was. I can concentrate and focus again. The Dr. had told me to de stress my life years ago and I thought I did. It helped but since changing the products I am using I have noticed a huge difference in myself and in my family. Even our allergies have improved.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

kellyandkids thanks for the breathing exercise...I like that idea!

MKS...LOL I work in an Animal Hospital! I actually have a cat and 2 dogs at home.

ksmandy...thanks for sharing your stress busters. Glad you were able to improve your quality of life by changing your products.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 PM
kellyandkids

Bless the beasts and the children

Can't argue with a kid that devised his own cancer beating strategy!
Old 08-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My pastor came up with an answer for stress that I've used for over 20 years. He said that stress comes from doing something you don't want to do or from not doing something you want to do.

I had been a reading teacher at our church school and it took up so much of my time that I couldn't help out my blind girlfriend. She didn't have anyone she trusted to help her with bills and to take her shopping. After talking to my pastor I asked the school to find another reading teacher and went back to helping Charlotte, something I really wanted to do.

As the years have gone by I've caught myself in other stressful lifestyles and checked to see what I was doing or not doing. One time it was being on the wrong diet, another time it was buying the wrong car (he thought I wanted it and I thought he wanted it), another time it was wanting a baby even though we already had our boy and our girl. We broke all of the rules and had a 3rd child who has given us 4 delightful grandaughters!

It is strange how we go through life doing something that is good and deny ourselves the chance to be doing a good thing that we really want to do!

So check out your life. Are you doing something you don't want to do or are you not doing something you really want to do?

Love & Prayers,
Linda