Where does stress usually show on your body?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • For me, it is the left side of my face. At the age of 24, I suffered with Bell's Palsy caused by a severe ear infection that wrapped around the nerves in my ear. This left the left side of my face paralyzed for over 2 months. Even though I was lucky to have regained all of the movements in my face, when Im stressed, the left side of my face will start to tingle and feel like it is going numb. Also,when Im under a lot of stress I clinch my teeth together extremely hard and dont even realize Im doing it.
    This causes a stiff neck and backaches.

Does stress affect anyone else's body like this?
  • Re: Where does stress usually show on your body?
    Quote:
    Originally posted by ajrsmom
    Also,when Im under a lot of stress I clinch my teeth together extremely hard and dont even realize Im doing it.
    This causes a stiff neck and backaches.

Me too!!!!

Also, several family members have mentioned that they can tell when I am stressed by the look in my eyes!
  • I am also a tooth-clencher.

And stress will usually make me lose my appetite, though sometimes it causes me to eat more (junk food).
  • Looks like we have lots of teeth clenchers....that's what I do too. I didn't realize I was doing it and I was getting headaches all the time. I also don't sleep well at all when I'm under alot of stress, toss & turn all the time or just wake up in the night and can't go back to sleep.
  • Stress for me shows on my abdomen and hips...I eat lots of junk food (especially chocolate) when stressed out.

I do really well during the day if I'm at work (teaching preschoolers), but when I come home in the afternoon.... There is so much stress in my home that it is affecting everyone. Hopefully most of the stress will be alleviated when my hubby takes this OTR job he's been looking into (he's the main cause of stress in the home). Also, I have an appointment to go back to see the Dr about getting back on meds. I did really well last summer on Prozac & was able to successfully diet & lose over 45 lbs. Unfortunately, I've gained back 35 now.
  • I get a heaviness in my chest and take deep breaths - it is almost like I cannot get enough air....
  • Re: Re: Where does stress usually show on your body?
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Abear93

Me too!!!!

Also, several family members have mentioned that they can tell when I am stressed by the look in my eyes!

My eyes are my DH's #1 way of knowing that Im stressed out. My face shows all of my emotions.
  • OK all you teeth-grinders...you NEED to get to your dentist and get a mouth-guard before you ware your teeth down! I am on my second one already! I have been real stressed lately and wake up with my jaws clenched, and also not sleeping good....but am reading a real good book on positive vibrations and thoughts. Seemed to help, then I fell off the wagon (had a major setback) but need to get back on track again, as stress is a BAD THING!

If anyone wants the name of the book (note to moderater: I am not making a sales pitch, as I am not selling anything here), or any advise I can help with further pm me and I can hopefully help!

Don't forget to eat your bananas and oatmeal (they both help) and the best stress-buster is exercise!

Hope that helps;-)
  • Ajrsmom, my son also had Bell's Palsy caused by an ear infection. When I tell people that, they look at me funny. Now, I know that it has happened to other people. He has gained full use of his face back and it will be interesting to see if he suffers any side effects like you have when he gets stressed out. He got BP when he was 9 or 10.
    I get cold sores really easy, and I blame some of them on stress. Don't know if that is really true or if it is just coincidence. The other day, my left side of my face tingled and hurt to the touch, and it has been a very stressful week at work and trying to do all I can to help out with the care of my 86 yo mom who has had a couple of strokes in a month.
  • Alida thanks for being careful to follow the spam rules on our board.
    I think it's fine if you give the title & author of the book you mentioned, since you're not selling it....we have boards here where we post books we are reading etc. It's not like you said, HEY! Buy this book at my website (where I make a profit on it)

As far as teeth clenching, I don't know if I do it at night. The dentist is aware that I do it but he says there's no damage at this point....it might be more during the day!