Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 01-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Menopause and beyond

I turned 50 in Dec. I'm already through hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings and menopause. Now I'm experiencing being cold all the time.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I understand the whole menopause thing... But for me it was the result of a hysterectomy..I had my ovaries removed at the same time.. But they were shutting down anyway. I'm 46..and the night sweats and hot flashes have pretty much gone away too.

I can't take any estrogen replacement because of other medical problems..and I know wht you mena about being cold all the time..

But to be on the safe side.. be sure to get your thyroid levels checked. Sometimes after menopause they can go aout of whack as the hopmone levels drop off...

Val
Old 01-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have had that done and they are fine. I think it's kind of funny because I remember the hot flashes and night sweats wishing I could cool off. I'm not saying I wish for the hot flashes back but I know I do get cold. It is definitely a change, that's for sure. I'm much better now, though. I had those awful mood swings too and never took estrogen replacement. I took a natural that was a free sample online called Remifemin. It worked great for me and took three weeks to start to work. I was satisfied with that so I figured it was better and I was ok taking it.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

LOL..sort of like.. "Be careful what you wish for...." Now a hot flash or two might not be sooo bad???

I also notice changes in the texture of my skin..

It's getting..softer, more delicate..."papery".. for lack of a better word...

HAve you noticed any of that happening?

Val
Old 01-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes, I've noticed that with my skin also. It's alot softer and sort of papery like you said would be the best way to describe it. Funny thing is I don't have anyone around my age to discuss these things around here making it difficult to handle.

Have you noticed any change in your hair? texture, etc? I know mine seems more dry. I am having to use leave in hair conditioner. I color my hair so that does actually help with some super conditioning and texture until next time to color which I do at home. I use an intense conditioner once a week. My hair is chin length.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ye.. and I've lost a lot of curl and texture.. it's a lot thinner too..and blow-dries a lot more quickly than it used to... But it was always super thick...

wow.. this is really weird... a lot of little things ..

ummm do you get those awful little skin tags??? Ugghh!!
Old 01-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My hair used to be real thick before I had my son then it thinned some. After menopause it thinned more. My hairdresser came up with this style and it works well. Looks like I have tons of hair. It's chin length and turns under. The back has slight layers. The underneath is cut shorter and it just lays nice most of the time. I had too many bad perms over the years so I like using hot rollers when dressing up or those leopard snap rollers work well too, as they are cloth.

Okay the skin tags you are talking about? are they moles or patches of skin losing color? mine are patches of skin losing color. I have moles on my neck, tiny ones that grow then fall off on their own, strange.

I must say, I had acne in my younger years. I have big pores. I use dermablend makeup when we go out and that stuff is great. It covers all flaws completely. My skin is in the best shape it's ever been!