Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 07-01-2003, 05:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question polycystic ovarian syndrome

Can anyone shed some light on polycystic ovarian syndrome? I thought I was going thru pre-menopause, I'm 39, and went to my gyn for my yearly pap and determined to find out why I had excessive facial hair, acne, weight gain, etc.
After doing the blood work for the second year, my new gyn had her nurse call me to her office to explain that I was not going thru menopause, I had polycystic ovarian syndrome

I am starting on glucophage for the high insulin level and am learning about the American Diabetic diet, but any information on this syndrome would help relieve fear of the unknown.

Thanks!

Children are our future, help them to dream big!
Old 07-10-2003, 10:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Brendie 64:

I have also been diagnosed with PCOS fairly recently. I would suggest looking at the following website for information and also typing PCOS into a search engine such as Google. The website is www.pcos.net. Hope this helps !!
Col 3:17
Old 07-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I have PCOS too. I was diagnosed about 2 yrs ago with it. Back then, it wasnt heard of much and a lot of people ( including doctors) didnt know much about it or how to treat it. I was put on Glucophage to get pregnant and it worked!!!

Along with PCOS, I am hypothyroid and at the time I had very low iron levels too.

I am getting ready to go back to my endocrinologist for a check up after having my daughter. I want to stay on top of it because I never want to feel the way I did before.

Another good website to look at is soulcysters.com. I found that site to be very helpful and the woman there know exactly how you are feeling and what you are going through.

Anytime that you want to talk more about it, you can send me a private message or email me at [email protected].

Good Luck to you!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-11-2003, 06:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Good luck as you resolve your problem.

I am no expert on any of this at all, but you mentioned that you were learning about the American Diabetes Diet. I have read a lot of information lately on diets in general, and I have noticed that the American Diabetes Diet has been criticized for being counterproductive to weight loss, if that is an issue. I do not know if this criticism has any merit at all- it is mostly from the so-called hi-protein diet camps and as a vegetarian I am no friend of theirs. Just look into various options.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi again

In fact, I just came across an article concerning the ADA diet that is right on point:

USNews and World Report July 14, 2003, P. 48.

This seems very important for those with an interest in the ADA diet.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

PCOS

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with PCOS about 13 years ago. I was trying to get pregnant and kept having problems. Come to find out I was not ovulating because of this disease. I would go anywhere from 20 days to 3 months between my periods, and when I went over 35 days before my period started my body would start thinking that was pregnant and I would have all the symptoms of being pregnant. Needless to say there was a lot of crying happening on my part.

I would suggest that you get all the information that you can about this from your gyn and also there are a lot of websites that are about PCOS, just type it into a search site.

Because I was trying to get pregnant, they put me on fertility pills that started my body ovulating. I had to do this with 3 of my 4 kids and needless to say I have been told I was very lucky that I was able to get pregnant at all. If you are not trying to get pregnant Dr's will a lot of times put you on birth control since it is not good for your body to go so long without a period unless you are going through meopause.

I hope what I have written will help. Good Luck
Old 07-15-2003, 01:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

[FONT=arial][COLOR=blue][B] I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago this month... I am now on Glucophage XR and hoping to see results soon... There is a wonderful site out there that's 100% free and an excellent resource for articles, information and support. Check out www.soulcysters.com It should be a great help to you! They have message boards and chat and the women there are extremely open with their personal health information in an effort to help one another. Good Luck!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 02:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi -

Here are a few more links for you:

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/964648419.html

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000901/1079.html

http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanu.../sec22/236.jsp

This link to the National Institutes of Health has *lots* of additional links to medically-approved information on the web:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ovariancysts.html

I hope you find the information you need to help you. This syndrome has been around for hundreds of years. Many of the "bearded ladies" in circuses and side-shows had this syndrome. It has only been in the last 10 or so years that scientists have figured out how to address the roots of the problem - which is the resistance to insulin. This, in turn, affects many other systems in the body. The Glucophage you are taking is one of the best ways to treat POS.

The support groups are pretty good, but be sure to check out any suggestions they make with your MD. Some of the groups (but not all!) have given advice that interferes with adequate treatment of POS. Just be cautious in accepting information without checking it out first!

BTW, I'm a nurse and have done health education for years.

Cheerio!
Old 11-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Need to share this GOOD NEWS

Being that one of the major symptoms of PCOS is infertility... I think it very important to share my new updated story.
In addiction to PCOS, I have one closed tube and the other is 1//2 blocked. And I am expecting the arrival of my son in 2 days. This is without any fertility drugs at all. I am truly blessed by God.. It is amazing! We are now, or will be in 2 days a complete family of 4..