Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 05-23-2003, 07:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pelvic Ultrasound

Hi Everyone,

I had a pelvic ultrasound yesterday, this is the third one this year. They are looking at a "bump" on one of my ovaries. Anyone, what I am wondering is if anyone else finds them as painful as I do?!

The technician pushes so hard that my toes are curling up and I want to scream. I know this makes me sound like a whimp! Usually, I handle pain very well. I gave birth to both my kids without any pain medication. Yesterday, I commented on how painful I found the procedure, before the technician began and she still pushed so hard that my skin split open! I know that the skin is a little delicate there because of stretch marks and having babies, but to push hard enough to actually split the skin is a bit much. My DH was furious! Normally, he is a teddy bear, so for him to get this angry was astounding!

Anyone else had this kind of pain?

Jenna
Old 05-23-2003, 07:30 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sorry to hear how painful it was for you. Didn't she see your skin splitting? Did you say anything to the doctor? I would of screamed and asked her to stop and asked for the doctor.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jenna--I've had ultrasounds several times and have NEVER had a tech push that hard and I'm not "small"!! There is something wrong here and I'd have to speak up to someone. Ask for a different tech if nothing else and see if they do it differently.

Good luck!

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 05-23-2003, 08:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Caron,

Thanks for your reply!

I am certain that the technician knew that my skin broke. I jumped and said "ouch" when it happened. She looked down and said "oh", but continued. I didn't know at that point that my skin was actually broken, but I sure did know it hurt. When it was over, she gave me a cloth to wipe off the gel they use and I'm sure she noticed that there was blood on it when I handed it back to her. I'm sure blood is not usually a part of an ultrasound!:mad: It is just a clinic, so there is not doctor that comes to see you, at least I have never seen one. I guess I should have made a fuss at the time. I just wanted to get out of there!

Dh is insisting that we make a complaint about this, I have to agree. She just seemed not to care at all.

Thanks for your support! I do appreciate it!

Jenna
Old 05-23-2003, 08:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks, Jayne!

This woman was the fourth technician I have had at this clinic, and they were all rough. I think that maybe I will change clinics!

Jenna
Old 05-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm here to tell you I would! My last doctor ordered an ultraound on me to check for ovarian cancer due to all of the female problems I have and ordered a vaginal ultrasound. I was NOT looking forward to it (never had one before) and the tech (also at a clinic) REFUSED to do it! She informed me that the radiologist there would order it if HE thought it was necessary. This was the fastes ultrasound I've ever had --took a total of aobut 5 minutes. She asked me "Who told you that you have fibroid tumors?" I explained that before retiring from the Army (dh) that I had an ultrasound and D&C. The ultrasound showed 5 fibroids and one was rather large. She claimed there were NONE. Of course not--she didn't do a proper ultrasound! I was so angry when the results came back negative and my doctor wanted to order another one through another place but I refused.
NOW I'm having nightmarish problems from the same fibroids and will no doubt require another ultrasound beofre the doctor will do a hysterectomy. I WILL be insisting it's done correctly this time too.

Good luck and I really do encourage you to complain. You are no doubt not the first one to be treated roughly and somoeone needs to know. I'd also tell them you're switching facilities.

Jayne

Old 05-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi Jayne,

Wow! Your story sounds so much like mine! I am so sorry you are going through all of this.

I have had two internal ultrasounds. They were really unpleasant. It felt terrible enough and then the technician said she needed to leave the room for a minute and left the thing hanging out of my body for about 5 minutes! Now that hurt!

The initial reason I went to the doctor was because I have been having very painful periods. I had cramps as a teen, but they went away when my first baby was born. In the past two years they have come back with a vengence! I am vomiting and have pain from my waist to my knees for at least a full day and sometimes two. I am at least 10 years away from menopause and don't want to spend the next decade living like this.

I have three rather large fibroids in my uterus, but my doctor seems to have completely forgot about that. She seems to want to focus on my ovary, even though she keeps telling me it isn't really important and definitely not serious. I believe that I am going to have to insist that we now focus on my original problem!

Good luck to you, I sure know how you feel,
Jenna
Old 05-23-2003, 10:30 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

As a teen I had terrible periods - cramps, throwing up, etc, etc.
My parents allowed me to drink a little wine. Tried the hot water bottles, etc. My mom's gyno wanted me to come in, but being oh so modest, I said no way. He feared endometrosis. After my son, I was "cured" so to speak. Well it's been 14 years since that laborious day - lol - I didn't have a bad labor. I'm starting to get crampy again. But I have a wonderful gyn. I had an internal sono done. I thought it was very interesting. Was yours the type it looks like a male organ? The tech/nurse and I laughed about the shape of it. I don't remember her pushing on my tummy. My doctor was in the room too when it was being done. They snapped the pictures where they wanted to keep an eye on. Most of those exams shouldn't hurt, more uncomfortable than hurtful. I would call and ask to speak to the office manager there and tell her that this and the past exams were very roughly preformed. If you do switch facilities, make sure you tell them of your past experiences, maybe with the fybroids you're overly sensitive and they should be made aware of this. This way if they are going to push on your tummy, they should let you know. I don't know your financial situation, but maybe going directly to a gyn would be a better option. Keep us posted.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks for you support, Caron!

I am Canadian, so we don't pay directly for our health care. I can just request a different clinic, as long as I am willing to drive there.

Yes, the "machinery" used for my internal ultrasound looked very much like a "male organ"! Love how you put that! I think it was painful because she left it inside me, while she left the room. It sort of poked up and jabbed me inside. It was bleeding for a couple of days afterward. They said they were trying to save money and didn't want to have to remove it, or they would have to put a new "cover" on it. The cover was just a condom. I think they could have sprung for another one. I think my sensitivity probably has more to do with my skin and muscles than with my fibroids. They only cause pain with my period, as far as I know.

I made an appointment today to speak to my doctor about all this. Hopefully, something can be done!

Good luck to you with your health care.
Jenna
Old 05-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I am so thankful after reading your account that I don't have any pain with my problem. I am currently going and going and going (kind of like the Energizer Bunny only really slow and tired ) but I'm at least pain free. THAT's a lot to be thankful for!

Good luck with the doctor and let us know how it goes.

Jayne