Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 01-21-2003, 11:24 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Post Partum Depressiong and Zoloft

Hello!

I was just prescribed Zoloft for Post Partum Depression. I took my first pill today, yet have heard horrible stories about the side effects.

Does anyone have any input?

Thanks.

Jen

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 01-25-2003, 06:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Jen, One thing about side effects is: if one single person had a symptom say a headache from the meds...they have to by law include that into the common side effects. If another person gets a rash...they have to include that too. I would just relax and see how it goes for you...your Doctor will keep a check on you and if you start to feeling weird call him or her and let them know.

I have taken Zoloft too. At first I was sleepy...then as my body got used to it, I was okay. Having a dry mouth was the symptom that bothered me...i just had to chew sugarless gum, hard candies, drink more fluids, and so on.

Pm me if you want to talk privately.
Take Care,
janet
Old 01-25-2003, 06:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Jen

I've been on Zoloft for several years with zero side effects. My doc chose Zoloft because I'm a "paradoxical responder" -- which means I have really oddball reactions to all medications. But Zoloft and me were a perfect match. Since post partum depression is transitory, even untreated, I'm willing to bet your doc will wean you off of it again eventually. It's made a positive difference in my life and I wouldn't want to be without it. Remember to try not to judge the results for a couple of weeks at least -- it needs to get up to a certain level in your bloodstream.

And remember to be extra good to yourself and enjoy your baby!

Love

Gramz
Old 01-25-2003, 09:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

zoloft

my friend took zoloft for ppd and she said it was wonderful. It really helped her. She was able to continue to "breastfeed" while on it. She has never mentioned having any of the side effects. It's better than the alternative. Take it from someone who had to go through it with nothing.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Zoloft is great for the baby blues! My sister took it for a while, no side effects at all. I took it for a year myself and the only side effect I had was...well....er...ummm...it kinda made me horny.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi ~ my husband also takes Zoloft. The one important thing that he warned about was to NOT stop taking it cold turkey. You have to follow your dr.'s prescription of weaning off from it. When you're ready to stop taking it or cut down the dr. will tell you how much to cut down on. He is a totally different person on it. No significant side effects. You just have to make sure you take it every single day. Stopping abruptly could cause you to crash. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2003, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jen...the best advise I can give you is to discuss it with your physician who is a health professional... He is the best source of information regarding side effects. And, if you do experience any, discuss it with him as soon as possible. When on anti depressants, do NOT stop taking them without the advise of the doctor... They must be reduced by the Doctor...and this way he can monitor you. Please call your doctor and discuss it with him....*s* *hugs*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jen, remember that everyone reacts differently to all medications. Just because one person (or several or many) have side effects (good or bad), doesn't mean you will suffer the same side effects!!

This also means that just because some people are helped (or not), doesn't mean you will have the same results!!

Give it a try but remember that it often takes up to 6 weeks for the medication to get into your system and start doing any good.

Kathy
Old 01-25-2003, 03:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too have been on Zoloft for several years, it really helped witht he anxiety and had a soothing effect. It was so nice that I was able to continue breastfeeding my baby. I must say that I have tried to go off of it on my own, and that was the wrong thing to do. I agree with the side effect thing, what may affect one may not affect the other. I am curious to know what horrible things you have heard about this medication

Diane
Old 01-25-2003, 03:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Zoloft

As a therapist, I have seen these meds. do wonderful things for some very unhappy people. The trick is figuring out which type of medicine works for your chemical imbalance. There are three types of chemicals in your brain and there is no test to tell which one is off, so your doctor just hs to try different medicines. Always talk to your doctor about your symptoms and be patient. Do not just stop Zoloft though. That will cause side effects.

Sincerely, Michelle Law