Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Menopause anyone?

Menopause, what a silly name! It implies the darned thing is only taking a rest and will be back. Menocease or Menostop sound more like it. Better yet--"YAY! The end of monthly misery has arrived!" I guess that's too long a name though.

I am 48 and I think I'm finally at long last heading into menopause. I'm just not sure and hope some of you can help me decide. I am not having hot flashes but my family can tell you the mood swings are scary. I don't even feel them coming on myself. I'm just laughing one second and biting heads off the next.

I haven't had a real period for almost 2 months now. I have an awful history of menstrual related anemia so I am excited. I have been spotting off and on for a couple of weeks now but nothing that requires full protection.
I was on HRT for a hormone deficiency for almost 2 years but went off last year when my GYN told me I'd never enter menopause while on it.
Every female in my family (mom, 2 sisters and at least 1 grandmother) has/had hysterectomies so I don't know what age I should expect this to start. I have been urged to have one myself by doctors and family but I am a coward when it comes to pain so keep putting it off. The doctor's did say if my anemia got any worse I wouldn't have much choice.

So, are there any women out there who can share their experience with menopause (cease/stop) and reassure me that this indeed is what's taking place? It has just occured so suddenly and without hot flashes that I'm a little uncertain what's going on.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-31-2002, 10:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

menopause

Welcome to the big change,

I missed a few months last year and then got started again but on an irregualr basis. this year I have missed about 4 months now and boy am I having the hot flashes. That is what really tells me that I am officially with it now!
I am trying my best to avoid any medications at all, heard too many things negative about them. So far , So good!

The most important thing you need to do is visit your gyn and get a confirmation that you are starting this phase of your life.
It is always best to be safe about your body.

I just keep fanning my face and sleep with the fan on high. One thing I do not like is the mood swings. At least with pms I could predict why and when I would get moody. I do cry a lot easier so I have to always be aware of this so I don't let my emotions get out of hand and turn into a meany person.

Go get that check up and you will get through this.
See Ya, Bjd5
Old 11-02-2002, 05:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

Hi, I went into menopause last year, and had my hormone levels confirmed by my gyn. I did not realize it, as I was having heavy bleeding, and erratic periods. My husband could tell, though, becuase of my awful behavior. One component of menopause is depression, which I didn not know about. I also started with HOT flashes, and if you don't have them, you don't know how lucky you are. I feel much better since taking HRT and antidepressant, but if you are adverse to that, there are a lot of natural supplements that can help with the symptoms, among them soy, a good diet, and exercise.
Good luck
Old 11-02-2002, 06:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I am in the Peri-menopause stage...my Dr. says until you don't have your cycle for 1 yr, then you are in menopause...My cycles were irractic too...some I had 2 times a month...skip 2 months, have normal for awhile then crazy again. I also get hot flashes too! Usually in the night and a couple of times during the day, but not everyday. I dress in layers, t-shirt with a shirt or a sweater then I can whip them on and off...believe me I do that even in Walmart! lol
Sometimes I just go outside and cool off at night...hey when it is 30 degrees..that will do it!

What I hate even more is the facial hair....chin hairs too! I have waxed, bleached, and used surgical cream to keep the hair off...I hope this phase doesn't last the rest of my life...anyone know?

My moods are okay..but at times my nerves seem frazled. Like a constant drumming of your fingers on a table, or when the TV is on too loud!

janet
Old 11-02-2002, 07:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi there. I am 53 and started Menopause at age 35. Just because i guess. Anyway, nothing or no one other than your doctor can tell you for sure if your symptoms are menopause related. I did not know it was menopause and actually thought I was losing my mind. I would cry and cry and tell my mom no one loves me and end up at her house and sleep on her sofa. Mom always loves us. lol I look back and wish someone would have told me what was going on. It took me 11 years to go through all the symptoms, but I think that is because I started so young. If you continue to have mood swings, missed periods, hot flashes, unusual bloating gosh there is so much;-) make sure and check with your doctor.
If the only symptom is mood swings this could be related to stress, pain causing you to not rest well, or even a medication reaction. So check it out. and keep smiling. believe it or not this too will pass. oh yea and be open with your family !
friendship hugs
Old 11-02-2002, 08:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wondering Also

Hi everyone. I'm glad someone is talking about this, because I don't know anyone who's already been through it.

I've been wondering, because my periods have been heavy and almost constant for the last 6 months or year. Last month I had it at least 3 weeks, was off for about a week and it started up again. Off and on, like.

I think it will be wonderful to be through with it, but I am concerned about bone loss. I've heard negative things about the medication on TV.

I've also been feeling like my bones are brittle. Sometimes they hurt in a way that makes me imagine the insides are being sucked out of them.

Anybody have this kind of experience with bone pain?

PS I'm only 46. I plan on hanging in there til around 90 or so and then declaring I'm finally grown up. LOL
Old 11-02-2002, 09:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Chastity
My periods were like that for a long time too. the doc gave me shots of progesterine weekly. it stopped the bleeding. also made me lose lots of weight. They still dont believe me that it was the shots that made me lose the weight. But when the shots stopped the weight came back.

Dont know about bone pain. My bones ache a lot but i think it is probably arthritis starting and the weight. You do need to be taking calcium. I constantly forget mine. take care. and make sure the doc knows about the constant bleeding
Old 11-02-2002, 11:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pre-Menopause What a Joy! NOT!

My Dr. told me that I am in Pre-Menopause and that I would not have a period last me for 30 days again. Well, he was wrong for it has happened twice now.

I have major hot flashes that can last for hours, then I get chilled and then I am totally worn out!

I have pain to but that is caused by my Endometriosis which I have had since I was in my twenties.

I am now 50 years old and I have had enough of this Pre-Menopause CRAP!

I have had my period this time for 42 days. I think there should be a Menopause Record Book and I should be in it!
Old 11-03-2002, 02:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, I'm so sorry about the 42 day long period. I don't feel so bad now. Really, I'm quite relieved that I'm not so different after all.

Those shots sound great! I'd love to lose some weight.

What worries me is when menopause is all over with, what do we get then?

We can imitate Aunt Bee from Mayberry, and be the perfectly adjusted, pickle making, always happy to serve, gray haired ladies?

Not if I can help it! I love Aunt Bee, but I don't want to be her! I'd like to imitate Cher and be sexily oblivious to my age until the day I die! LOL

Does that require hormone replacement therapy? LOL!
Old 11-03-2002, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It is SO good to know I'm not alone in this! I get so frustrated having periods every 2 weeks. I feel as if I should buy stock in Kotex. Believe me I was not compliaing when I skipped for 2 months! Unfortunatley I am going again and have been for `11/2 weeks now--weird too. Spotting/stopping/speeding up.
I just want to scream and have the same conversation with God every month: WHY! WHY am I still doing this? I am not having any more children, wouldn't want any if I could (had my tubes tied after last one 20 years ago) and I'm so ready to be done with this! WHY does it have to go on so long then be so darned hard when it appears it's finally going to wind down???

I'm not a man basher, believe me. Men are wonderful but I KNOW if men went through this a cure for all the problems and symtoms would have been found a long time ago.

I need to get back on calcium supplements and see a doctor but I HATE going. I had a wonderful woman doctor in our last location but have not looked since we moved over the summer. We're "only" 3 hours away from her and I have seriously considered going back to see her.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback. It's good to know that you aren't alone.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member