Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 10-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hormone Replacement therapy

With all that has been in the news lately about HRT causing cancer and heart attacks I quit taking my pills 2 nights ago. I take Femhrt and they are the only thing I could find to control my endometriosis...the cramps and pain would have me in bed every month. I have not had a period in a year...no cramps for the first time since I was 12 years old. I am 42 so do not anticipate menopause happening for atleast a few more years down the road.
I am so discouraged because someting that made me able to function now I find has been linked to cancer.

I just moved here a few months ago and I do not have a doctor yet because we cannot find anyone taking new patients...I did find an OBGYN to get my annual exam but she did not have anything to say, actually, she was not even familiar with Femhrt...

Anyone else taking hormones...or stopping them...Oh, I am going to be a mess.
Peace, train
Old 10-15-2002, 07:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What about Soy products?

I myself have just stopped HRT for the very same reason. I have switched to a soy tablet which is taken once per day. This is only day 2 so I have no long term data but I'll keep you posted. My biggest complaint was the hot flashes so if it takes care of that then I'm happy. I'm not sure what it would do for endometriosis. I would welcome feedback from others out there who have gone off HRT.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi. I'm new to this forum and really worried about HRT. I've been on it for 16 yrs! And now I find out it was not helping me and may have been harming me. But, like other women have said on here - I'm not sure what to do. I quit it for 6 weeks this summer. And I felt awful. Had hot flashes again and depression. My nurse practioner said to go back on it and I did. But now I'm sure I shouldn't take it. But what to do? I didn't think those old symptoms would still occur when I went off HRT. I'm 64 and long past menopause.Well, I really know I need to find a psychiatrist to take care of the depression if and when I quit HRT again. I guess I'm looking for some support from others who are facing this problem and to hear how and what you are doing. I'm sure there must be lots of women in the same situation according to what I read in the news, etc. Hope to hear from you all! Have a nice night.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Pam

You may just be reacting to the sudden withdrawal of the HRT. I understand that a slow withdrawal is preferred. I myself didn't want to take the time so I quit "cold turkey." I'm ok so far but it's only been 6 days and I hear that it can be 3 weeks before you feel any different. I am also on Prozac 20mg every other day and Prozac helps with hot flashes and of course depression. So, maybe some soy replacement, just like 40mg per day and you could add St. John's Wart to that for the depression. Let's stay in touch and we'll trade ideas.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for your info Foggy.
I know I have to quit again, but I certainly don't want to do it cold turkey again, altho I'm not sure how to taper off. Anyway, I already take Paxil (for panic disorder and depression) and for years I have been just fine. But I just know that getting off HRT is going to mean that my current med is going to have to be changed. And the doctor who got it "just right" a few years ago isn't around here any more.BTW, I live in the middle of nowhere and will probably have to go 40 miles to Dartmouth-Hitch**** to find a good psychiatrist. Not really a great distance but I just hate to go through sort of "starting all over again". I'm interested in alternate med - but not sure about mixing with what I'm taking now. I get some soy in soymilk. Not sure if that's the same thing. But I'm lactose intolerant so use soymilk instead. I tend to ramble. 'Nuff for now. Hope to hear from you again soon. Glad you're doing OK.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi pam and Trainlady

Well, since last posting I've done some research about HRT and what are suitable options if one decides to go off the hormones. Soy seems the best option available now. Soy can be purchased in tablets and you need approximately 65-75 mg per day. Soy is also good for the heart. So, I went to BJ's and bought a box of 60, 65mg tablets. You only have to take one a day. I paid about $10 for the box. If you have a Sam's Club or something similar you should be able to get them there. Prozac has been shown to cut back the hot flashes that some women get. I take 20mg of Prozac three times a week. So, so far so good. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Foggy,Last night I decided thatI have to get off HRT somehow but I'm going to do it slower this time. First I'm going to reduce dosage by taking it only every other day for a while. I'll see how that goes and then decide what to do next.My niece has been taking something herbal rather than HRT.Maybe soy, I just don't know. I'm going to get in touch with her and see what it is and what she has learned about this problem. Right now we have no place around here to buy much of anything. But thank goodness a Wal-Mart Super Store is about ready to open in a couple of weeks,abaout 25 miles from here. (It's the closest town to us). Am I right is assuming that any herbal (or natural) product doesn't have the potential dangers that these prescription things do? I have read a lot about herbs,etc. and think most of them are OK. But there is a lot of disagreement.
Trainlady: How are you doing? I haven't seen any replies to your post.I know how it is to move to a new place and not have a doctor. That's my problem also. Keep in touch.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

So far I am not finding any info regarding side efects but remember that "more" is not necessarily "better" so stick to one pill per day. Try the Health Central web site. It does review some herbal medicines. healthcentral.com. Train lady, tell me what state you live in and I will give you the web address for searching for reputable doctors in your are.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Foggy: I get a newsletter "Nutrition Action" (Center for Science in the Public Interest) and I just got one that says that soy is not very good for menopause symptoms. heart, etc. It's not strong enough, I think. I got in touch with a pen-pal and she tapered off HRT (1 month) and then started with Progestone Cream. I searched that on the 'net and it seems to be a possibility. But it's expensive. So I'll be continuing my "research" while I continue to taper off. I'm still in the early stages so, so far so good.
Don't mean to discourage you, but don't be surprised if soy doesn't help very much. I'm going to try to find something herbal that will work. And be safe. And not cost a fortune. If there is such a thing. Pleae keep in touch.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HRT

Trainlady. You mentioned femHRT. What is that - prescription hormones or herbal or something else? If it's not the presciption of the "provera" and "premarin" type hormones, you don't have to worry. Those were the "HRT" that has been "nixed". I am tapering off of them and looking for an herbal replacement.