Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 09-01-2002, 07:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Breast Reduction Feedback

I'm thinking about getting a reduction. Has anyone had one done, or know anyone who has had it done that can give me any advice?
I am a 40DD. Just can't stand the weight anymore.
Thanks
Old 09-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Haven't had it done--want to have it done too. I will be anxiously following this post.

I have talked to the gal who does my mammograms about this and she said that she sees alot of breasts and she has never met anyone who had it done who regretted doing it--only regretted that they didn't do it sooner.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have already went to the class, spoke with the surgeon. My problem is he wants me to lose 40lbs. It's hard to do when I work full-time.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had it done almost 4 years ago. I was a 48 DDD and went down to a C cup. Best thing I ever did!!! And my doctor didn't tell me to lose weight even though I needed to lose about 60 lbs.
Old 09-07-2002, 08:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I worked for a plastic surgeon years ago and he did the breast reductions. Although doctrors don't always recommend weight loss, I would recommend it. When I lost 50 lbs. my breasts certainly were reduced. I would try that before undergoing surgery. All surgery has risks some of which are hospital borne infections.
Old 09-08-2002, 05:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ahh...see, I brought in pictures of me at an ideal weight and my boobs were the same size, heavy or skinny. Maybe that's why the plastic surgeon did it for me without telling me to lose the weight. I stayed the same. I gained more in my back or under my arms, but my actual breasts were the same.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Can any of you talk about the pain/discomfort level and how long it lasts? How long are you limited to picking up light weight things? Do you wear a special bra initially, or just normal size ones? Thanks for the imput thus far.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When I worked full time, I got my exercise in for weight loss during my 15 min. break in the morning, 30 min. at lunch and 15 min. in the afternoon. They now say that breaking it up is beneficial as you reve up your metabolism 3 times instead of one. It also was a stress reducer, getting out of the office and into the fresh air.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:26 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, I've always been a bit of a rebel when it comes to doctor's orders!LOL I had 4 c-sections in 4.5 years when I was told not to have any more after the second one. I did okay. Of course, I had my last c-section 2 weeks after I turned 24 so I was young and the body recovers quicker. I had my breast reduction at age 29. I was in the hospital overnight (I live in Canada...not sure what the hospital stay in the US is). I do remember waking up and being in a fair amount of pain, but not unbearable. Once the pain meds kicked in, I was fine. Strangely enough, I felt better when the hospital bed was sitting almost straight up instead of lying down. I don't know why, maybe cuz there is less stretching in the chest area? I was walking around a few hours after surgery. Mainly because I wanted the catheter out (I hate those things!) and they said I would have to be able to walk to the bathroom on my own before they took it out. So, I said I was ready and they said they'd take it out but if I couldn't do it well, they'd put it back in. No WAY was I going to have that happen!LOL I made them put it in when they knocked me out and I didn't want to feel that wide awake! I was a bit dizzy when I tried to stand but my hubby was there to help me through it. I've always been really lucky with anesthetic. Only been sick once. Some people aren't as lucky. I did have a reaction to the morphine (severe itching) and found because of that, the pain didn't go away that well. Once they gave me demerol, I was good to go!
I do remember looking at my chest while in the hospital bed (what I could see of it...they have you wrapped up pretty good) and thinking I had the firmest boobs I'd ever seen! Turns out, they were good and firm, but even more so then cuz of the swelling! LMAO And because they had me wrapped up so tight, I felt my chest was much smaller than what I wanted, but it was only because you are wrapped good and tight. I went to a C and am thrilled with it. My doctor went by my shoulder width. If I had had a shorter width, he'd have gone to a B cup. he wanted to ensure I had a size that would suit me best. Which was good of him.
At home, I was pretty careful. I didn't lift heavy things much until a couple weeks after. I'd start with slightly heavy things and if that hurt a lot, I'd wait a few days and try again. Of course, sometimes it felt like it was going to hurt, but it was just the muscles that hadn't been used protesting. If there was true pain, I stopped. I did sleep with lots of blankets behind me to simulate the hospital bed and that helped me a lot. It was hard for me not to sleep on my side but I did it. I do remember not being able to have a shower and it driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have a bath, and be careful not to get the dressings wet. And then when I got out, my husband would wash my hair for me. When I had that first shower, it felt so good!!! My husband changed my bandages for me too. He was awesome.
He took off a total of 5.5 pounds from my chest. I didn't think that was a lot until he said to get a 5 lb bag of potatoes and hang it from around my neck and I'd see just how much that really is.

As I said, I'm thrilled I did it. I no longer hunch over (though I did in the beginning, out of habit I guess), I don't have bra straps digging in, I can wear cute bras now and not spend a fortune on them.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Last year I bowled with a lady who had the surgery and she said it was a piece of cake! Her back bothered her all the time and she was becoming hunched over just trying to alleviate the pain, and that only made it worse. She is in her 50s and it made a wonderful difference in her appearance and her bowling has greatly improved.