Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 07-08-2002, 08:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hysterectomy - what should I expect?

Doc is pretty sure I will need a hysterectomy.

What can I expect after surgery? When will I be able to get up and around - how much bleeding will there be? I've got no one to ask, as no one I know has had one. Is there something I should ask the doc to do to make it more bearable? What about s*x?

Thanks so much
Old 07-08-2002, 09:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

had mine in nov

I just had a total vaginal hysterectomy in Nov. I stayed in the hospital from Friday to Sunday. The pain was controllable with meds and when I went home all I took was Tylenol. Take what they give you the first 24 hours though. I didnt at first and regretted it when the pain hit.
I have two kids I stay home with and needed help the first week but after that I was fine. My kids are 6 and 3.
Sex is the same afterwards but you must wait 6 weeks. Make sure you take it easy during those 6 weeks or you could cause problems with the healing.
Please ask anything you'd like. I was terrified but it is WONDERFUL not having any of the "girly" problems anymore and no more PERIODS!!
The bleeding lasts about 4 weeks but it's light. Mine was light enough after the first day or two to only use a liner.
Stacy
Old 07-11-2002, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have heard that you usually have to take hormones afterward. A lot of people that I know have also gained a lot of weight. Be sure and get a second opinion. My daughter inlaw had it done and it really wasn't needed.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

If you need to have a hysterectomy by all means get it done. I had a total hyst. when I was 29 years old. Thank goodness I had already had kids (3). I had been batteling endometrosis and mult surgeries and had had enough. I have not regretted it once and haven't had any problems. I stayed in the hosp. about 4 days and of course your a bit sore the first few days, but if you stay medicated you won't care. LOL. I take a hormone pill every day and don't miss having a period at all. I did not gain any weight afterward. I wish you a lot of luck and hope everything goes well for you. A surgery is always a scary thing, but if you have confidence in your doctor you'll feel better in the long run. Take care.

Marcia

Old 07-12-2002, 04:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

about hormones..

you only have to take them if they remove both ovaries.. if there is nothing wrong with the ovaries they usually leave them there so you wont have to take hormone replacement...
stacy
Old 07-12-2002, 10:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had a total HYST. in 1987. never felt better. i was up and out of bed within 24 hours after surgery. i took the drugs, i am a nurse, so i knew what was going to happen. they removed a tumor that weighed 12 lbs. it wasn't cancerous, thank god. I think you have to be mentally ready also, i didn't want any more children, had 5 so, i did my duty. i have tried hormones but they just make me sick and they will make you gain weight. now with all the reports coming out about them i am glad i never could take them. i take a natural supplement. it is called" CHANGE-OF-LIFE, made by natures way. you can find them in health food stores. just don't push yourself, take it easy and relax. you may feel mentally happy but the body is going to tell you different. there really isn't much blood. i think the recoperation from this was faster than giving birth. hope all will go right for you, i'll be praying for you.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:16 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,

I had a total hysterectomy done in 1999. I was in the hospital for 4 days. The pain was bad the first day, but after that I really didn't need much pain medication. I actually got up (although I couldn't stand straight) and walked down the hall way and even took a shower.
What I wasn't prepared for was the gas that you get afterwards. Honestly, that was the worse for me.After coming home, I would get up in the wee hours of the morning and have to walk,walk,walk just to relieve the gas pain.That lasted about 2 weeks.
As far as hormones, I was put on premarin 6 weeks later.I was given a hormone shot prior to surgery so didn't have any hot flashes til May.(surgery was in March)
However,after taking the hormones for year, I had side affects that I didn't like.( weight gain,hair loss ).So I took it upon myself to stop taking the premarin and I began and still take a natural estrogen.It works well to control my occasional hot flashes.
With the recent report on hormone therapy,I am so thankful for the alternative.My sister stopped taking premarin the same time I did as her legs would cramp terribly and she was afraid of clots.I would definately look into this if your doctor suggests hormone therapy. Hope this helps. Email me if you'd like to know what I use.
[email address removed by moderator. Please don't include these on the boards. It's for your own safety and privacy.]
Have a good one.I didn't mean to write a book.

Last edited by barbszy; 08-07-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hysterectomy feedback

Hi there!! Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents! I also had a TAH/BSO in Oct 2000. It's the BEST thing I've ever done! The type of surgery you have, depends on your specific medical condition. I had fibroid tumors, ovarian cysts, & endometriosis, so I had (in laymens terms), all of my female reproductive organs removed through an incision in my tummy.
I found an absolutely WONDERFUL website by women for women, which is not to take the place of your doctors advice, but you may be able to get some more answers to the questions you are having: http://www.hystersisters.com..
As a ER nurse, I had to take approximately 6-8 weeks off of work after surgery. Again, your recovery time will depend on the specific type of surgery you have.
As far as HRT goes, unfortunately, most surgeons are Excellent at the surgical part of the care, but not all are up to par on the hormonal issues afterwards. The most commonly perscribed HRT is Premarin. There are MANY other forms of HRT, and if or what you choose is a very personal choice between you and your doc.
I had a wonderful male surgeon, but have found a female doc to follow up with for my HRT. I use the Esclim patch, twice weekly, and I am doing WONDERFUL, with absolutely NO side effects.
(It's GREAT to have white sheets on my bed).
Best of Luck to you, & hugs & prayers coming your way for your upcoming surgery!
Old 07-13-2002, 08:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ernursekathi

I am probably going to slap myself after I see your answer for not being able to figure it out but...............

I know what TAH stands for..........but what is the BSO ???

Old 07-13-2002, 09:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hysterectomy

TAH= total abdominal hysterectomy