Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Taking The Birth Control Pill After 40

I have just recently found out I have fibroids and a host of other problems associated with my monthly cycle. I have extreme pain...it feels like someone is taking a knife to my insides and scraping it off inch by inch before my period even starts. I have break through bleeding the week prior and my periods are coming every 2 1/2 weeks. Once my period starts I have episodes of gushing not knowing how sever the flow will be. I saw the gynocolgist this week and he wants to start with the most basic treatment and go from there. So he has put me on Aleese a low dose birth control pill. I always thought taking the pill after 35 was not really a great idea??? He siad because my blood pressure is low and I don't smoke I should be fine and am the perfect candidate for this. Still I am nervous...I took the pill for a few year in University to help alieve pain and went off of it because I did not like the way I felt and the fluid retention. I would love to hear from any other women over 35 who have used the pill to help with problems instead of pregnancy.

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Deb, check out the website of Dr. John Lee. He has some books "What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You About Menopause" and others. Those books might be worth your time.

I am amazed at how much the 3 Advil every 6 hours during the heavier days has helped me. My new GYN told me about that therapy.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks Barb for his website..will have to check our library and see if they can do an inter library loan for it. Have you read his books?????

Is that regular advil, extra strength, liquid gels????? My pain is more befoe it starts and then when it starts it is more the stop start of gushing that gets to me...that is from the fibroids I believe.

Thanks for the info, the more I have the more questions I can ask him next time I go

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The Advil is less for pain than for reducing the amount of blood flow. You want a total of 600 mg which is 3 regular strength Advil. I just use the tablets but I think it's all the same. I have to say, the last time I had a good amount of pain even with all that Advil but the blood flow was MUCH less. No clots, no big gushes. That's the result I was after. Cramps I can live with if I have to!

You have to start taking the Advil the SECOND you notice any bleeding and religiously take it every 6 hours for about 3 days.

I did need to take an antacid with all that Advil in my stomach. Make sure to take it with food.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I don't think I would take it on my breakthrough bleeding days ...that can be a week or more before my actual period starts.....I am already on meds for acid production...3 in fact 2 perscription ones and 2 over the counter ones. I would love to lessen my pain some the week prior...nothing seems to touch it....Will give this a go for my next cycle...I started mine yesterday morning so too late this cycle. I am too start the pill on sunday so maybe that will lessen some of the pain???

Thanks for all the suggestions

Hugs Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have been on the pill and i will stay on it until i know my body is done having kids.These pills also help women who are going though menopause and have the drugs that you need them.For me i need the estrogen so that is why i plan to stay on them.I sure as heck am done having any more kids.I have aslo read and found that you are sussopse to cut back on the caffine that you drink before you get your period.I have done that and it seems to help.I haven't had any problemns with breakage bleeding so that is nice and my periods are shorter too.

Mish
Hope this helps you out.................
Old 12-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have cut WAY back on caffeine consumption. It was rough for a bit but now it is OK. I have decaf coffee, tea and soda in the house for myself. If I am out and decaf is not available then I drink the regular kind but I try not to have too much. I don't know if that has contributed to any improvement in my symptoms or not. But I do notice that I am more "agitated" if I have a good amount of caffeine. I never noticed that until I stopped it.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I consume very little caffeine, with my hiatus hernia it bothers me too much. I do not drink any pop my only vise is chocolate but I really try to stay away from that too.

Mish thanks for your info and input.

Hugs Debbie

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 12-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am 46 and with my doctors instructions- take the pill continously (I don't skip the week) It helps with the headaches I was getting during my period
Old 12-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hey i am no spring chicken.I think i will be on the pill for awhile.But it sure bets the altreative.You are more than welcome Debbie.The weird part is with my caffibe intake i used to have some at nighttime.If i now drink some in the afternoon i am wired for a long time.

Mish