Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Women's Health Need a place to discuss the changes going on in your body? This forum is dedicated to the issues only a woman deals with.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gastric Bypass & Future Pregnancy

I've recently learned that a very close friend of mine is considering gastric bypass, but she is still hoping to have children after the procedure. I've heard that this is dangerous to the baby and that she may not get enough nutrients and minerals. Does anybody have firsthand knowledge if this is true? My girlfriend believes this is her only solution, but I'm concerned if she goes through with it, she may never get to carry a pregnancy to term, and then she may forever regret what she chose to do.
Also, as a friend of breastfeeding myself, I wonder if her milk would be affected by not receiving enough essential enzymes because of the small stomach size.
Any thoughts dear friends?

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

She would have to wait a couple of years after the surgery. Has she talked to the doctor who would be doing the surgery?

After a year or so the patient is starting to eat more normal sized portions so getting enough nutrition is possible.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gastric by-pass & pregnancy

Well here is proof - Carnie Wilson had GP about 3-4 years ago and she just had a healthy baby (full-term!)!

As long as you check with all of your doctors and they say that there should be any problems in the future with having children and you wait for them to give their go ahead after the surgery - I think you should be ok. I am a very cautious type person, so I would make sure to have the ok from all doctors & then go to them several times during the pregnancy to make sure that everything is ok. The OB will also monitor not only your health but that of the baby's to make sure that everything runs as smoothly as possible during your pregnancy!
Old 05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks cherilight and NanieD! I have serious misgivings about this surgery for my dear friend. I think there has to be a better way for someone who is still young with childbearing years that are passing. I think she may think twice when she realizes she would have to wait at least a year before becoming pregnant. That is something I never knew and I don't think her doctors told her either. I will share the links to your posts with her.
I hope to offer her other support to reach her weight goals that don't jeapordize her future babies.
I have been blessed with children and I know how beautiful they make our lives, I just don't want her to miss out on that.
I appreciate your input...And I'd love to hear from anyone else who has some thoughts on this issue!

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:12 PM
kellyandkids

But being overweight can make for very serious pregnancy complications.

She should be discussing her future plans with her doctor. But once the procedure is done and she has stablized, I see no reason she can't get pregnant and nurse. Her nutritional levels will be stable by then.

Go ahead and ask your friend these questions. Say that all these thoughts and concerns have come to mind.

You might both learn something new and you feel more able to be supportive in the post-op days. And learn some new good food habits together. Take a healthy cooking class together!