FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What's For Dinner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/)
-   -   What's for Dinner? June 2005 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/14583-whats-dinner-june-2005-a.html)

Abear 05-29-2005 03:29 PM

What's for Dinner? June 2005

June already??? :-O :-O

The first day of summer is this month......could have fooled me! I thought summer was already here by how hot it's been here!

Flag Day is observed in the United States on June 14. It commemorates the day in 1777 when the Continental Congress adopted the Stars and Stripes as our flag. It then had only 13 stars, to match its 13 stripes. It's not an official national holiday, but in Pennsylvania, it is a legal holiday.

Gems for June are the pearl, alexandrite, and moonstone.

The rose is the flower for the month of June.

IMPORTANT JUNE EVENTS

Kentucky became the 15th state, June 1, 1792.
Tennessee became the 16th state, June 1, 1796.

John Randolph of Roanoke, American statesman, born June 2, 1773.

De Soto claimed Florida for Spain, June 3, 1539.

Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War, born June 3, 1808.

Secretary of State George C. Marshall described the Marshall Plan, June 5, 1947.

U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy shot by an assassin June 5, 1968. Died the following day, 1968.

Nathan Hale, American patriot, born June 6, 1755. .

YMCA organized in London, June 6, 1844.

Cole Porter, American composer, born June 9, 1893.

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, born June 10, 1921.

George Bush, 41st President of the United States, born in Milton, Massachusetts, June 12, 1924.

Winfield Scott, American general, born June 13, 1786.

Continental Congress adopted the Flag of the United States, June 14, 1777.

Hawaii organized as a territory, June 14, 1900.

King John granted Magna Carta, June 15, 1215.

George Washington appointed commander in chief of the Continental Army, June 15, 1775.

Arkansas became the 25th state, June 15, 1836.

Charles Goodyear was granted a patent for rubber vulcanization, June 15, 1844.

Ford Motor Company founded, June 16, 1903.

Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet began exploring the Mississippi River, June 17, 1673.

Reclamation Act passed by Congress, June 17, 1902.

Charles Eames, American designer, born June 17, 1907.

John Hersey, American novelist, born June 17, 1914.

Burglary of Democratic Party headquarters in Washington, D.C., touched off Watergate political scandal, June 17, 1972.

United States declared war on Great Britain, June 18, 1812.

Congress adopted the design for the Great Seal of the United States, June 20, 1782.

Eli Whitney applied for a patent on the cotton gin, June 20, 1793.

West Virginia became the 35th state, June 20, 1863.

President Andrew Johnson announced the purchase of Alaska from Russia, June 20, 1867.

Daniel Carter Beard, founder of Boy Scouts of America, born June 21, 1850.

New Hampshire ratified the Constitution, June 21, 1788.

Cyrus McCormick granted patent for reaper, June 21, 1834.

Rockwell Kent, American artist, born June 21, 1882.

Allied forces captured Okinawa during World War II, June 21, 1945.

American author Anne Morrow Lindbergh born June 22, 1906.

William Penn signed land treaty with Indians, June 23, 1683.

Taft-Hartley Act became law, June 23, 1947.

Chemist E. I. du Pont born June 24, 1771.

Sioux Indians massacred Lieutenant Colonel George Custer and his troops at the Little Bighorn, Montana, June 25, 1876.

Fair Labor Standards Act became law, June 25, 1938.

Virginia ratified the Constitution, June 25, 1788.

Pearl S. Buck, Nobel Prize-winning novelist, born June 26 1892.

United Nations Charter signed by delegates from 50 nations at San Francisco, June 26, 1945.

American poet Paul L. Dunbar born June 27, 1872.

Helen Keller, deaf and blind author and lecturer, born June 27, 1880.

George W. Goethals, American engineer who built the Panama Canal, born June 29, 1858.

William James Mayo, American surgeon who helped establish the Mayo Foundation, born June 29, 1861.

George Ellery Hale, American astronomer, born June 29, 1868.

Federal Food and Drugs Act of the United States became law, June 30, 1906.

So, what cool, summer meals are we serving this month????

Abear 06-01-2005 05:34 AM

Okay everyone, let's get cookin!!!

Supper here tonight is going to be chicken & sausage jambalaya with sides yet to be determined. :confus:

debknechtel 06-01-2005 05:47 AM

I have extra kids tonight so supper will be easy.....spaghetti and they all like it!!!

I will have salmon with hellmans lemonymayonaise on it. I tried it last wek and it was good. Just spread mayo on top and grill. I wll have a huge salad to go with it.

hugs Debbie

futureteacher 06-01-2005 05:49 AM

Just subscribing:)

Pag36 06-01-2005 06:07 AM

Not sure yet what will be tonite. But wanted to get in on June's WFD thread. Happy Cooking all

Catwoman 06-01-2005 06:08 AM

Tonight I'll do something with hamburger meat, just not sure what yet. Maybe homemade meatballs since everybody in the house will eat those. :icecr:

jjoj 06-01-2005 06:11 AM

Neat, Abear! I really enjoyed reading about events happening in June. I :heart: it!
Tonight for supper, we are having chicken parmesan, pasta, and fresh melon. Have a great day, everyone!

sandieluvsbears 06-01-2005 08:30 AM

:heart:
Wow I cant believe its June already!! The year is flying by so fast!!
Im having Crockpot Lasagna tonight, Ive been meaning to try this, its actually my dd's recipe, she doesnt have alot of time to spend in the kitchen, and she is always looing for shortcuts, she also doesnt like to cook that much, lol. anyhow here is the recipe if anyone is interested, its pretty simple, I have tasted it before when she made it, the kids love it!!
Hugs Sandie
Crockpot Lasagna
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
26 ounces spaghetti sauce
12 ounces cottage cheese(I used ricotta cheese)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
12 ounces uncooked lasagna noodles
12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

Brown the ground beef and onion in skillet. Drain. Add the spaghetti sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine the cottage cheese, parmesan, egg, and the mozzarella cheese except for 1/2 cup. Mix thoroughly.

Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the crockpot. Add two layers of uncooked lasagna noodles, breaking up the noodles as needed to fit.

Top with a layer of the cheese mixture. Repeat with sauce, noodles, and cheese mixture until all are used. Sprinkle top with reserved 1/2 cup shredded mozzerella. Cover; cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for approximately 3 hours.

bensmom526 06-01-2005 08:36 AM

hi all

thanks for your ideas ...

now i have to pick out how im going to use the soup..
chances are ill have to buy more of my oops wrong can soup on purpose =0)

Dinner tonight is a repeat from last night
mac & cheese or scallopped potatos with BBQ sauce simmered steaks.. have a late appt. and my sis is coming over for coffee and cake tonight..

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
happy cooking

PS: Ben is playing diner..he seling me a cup of coffee for 200 dollars i think thats pretty steep dont you?

stellajean66 06-01-2005 08:48 AM

Hi all,

Hope everyone is enjoying their Hump Day!!!

It is overcast and rainy today, which for me is a nice break from the HEAT!!! LOL

I snagged that Crockpot Lasagna recipe, Sandy!!! Looks good, so I will be giving that a try!!!

Dinner tonight is meatballs and gravy over rice, with green beans on the side.

And we will finish off the last of the Hummingbird cake...............but I will be making another one of those on Friday, since we will be having company!!!

Hope you all have a great day!!!

::-)::

bensmom526 06-01-2005 08:55 AM

what's hummingbird cake

stellajean66
Did I miss it..what's hummingbird cake?
sounds interesting....

:confus:

stellajean66 06-01-2005 10:04 AM

Here is the recipe again for the Hummingbird Cake. It is a BIG HIT in our house..................

Hummingbird Cake

Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, well beaten
2 cups chopped banana(3 bananas)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Glaze

1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1 cup sifted powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325 and generously grease a bundt pan.
2. To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
3. Remove 3 tablespoons of the juice from the can of pineapple. Set aside for the glaze.
4. Add the pineapple, oil, eggs, bananas, nuts and vanilla to the flour mixture. Stir until just blended (Do Not Beat)
5. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and remove the cake from the pan. Cool completely.
6. To make the glaze: In a small mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and the powdered sugar. Add enough of the reserved pineapple juice to make a glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. And serve.

RobertaD 06-01-2005 10:42 AM

I have some chicken breast thawing so will open either a noodle or rice box when we get home this evening for a quick dinner. Will probably have brussel sprouts for veggie.

Roberta

barbszy 06-01-2005 12:13 PM

:coffees: Nancy, all I can say is, that had better be one GOOD cup of coffee at the prices Ben charges. Though for New York City, he might be right in line ROFLMAO
Speaking of New York, I have been wanting a good Black & White cookie....tried a recipe this weekend and it just wasn't quite "it" so if anyone has a recipe they'd like to throw my way, I'm looking for a good one! I passed the whole batch along to my neighbors for their little girl. The cookies were fine to eat, just not the thing I was looking for :rolleyes: I will keep trying till I get it right!

Tonight's dinner will be balsamic chicken with thyme, jasmine rice, green beans for the kids & DH and brussels sprouts for me, and honey-wheat bread.

sharona 06-01-2005 12:32 PM

Nancy, the price might seem high, but where else can you get such a cute waiter?

It's cool and rainy, so I have lentil soup going. I'll probably make some garlic toast. We have way too many sweet things to eat around here right now, so no cake baking here tonight. LOL

melly 06-01-2005 04:02 PM

For dinner tonight we are having leftovers and whatever you find in the pantry/freezer. Something easy for me.

Have a nice night everyone.

Melly:worm: :worm:

asp123us 06-02-2005 05:05 AM

A bit behind, but now here.

Andrea

:sparkle:

barbszy 06-02-2005 05:40 AM

Last night we ended up going out for pizza on our way to our school's fundraiser night at Barnes & Noble.
We'll have the balsamic chicken tonight.

Pag36 06-02-2005 05:54 AM

Good morning friends. last nite we had soft taco's per Steven's request. Tonite will do my nice head of cabbage, both yellow crookneck and zucchini squash sauteed with onion (gotta have my onion) and I think a meat loaf made with BOTH hamburger and ground chicken not sure at this point and will have something starchy not sure what yet.

Happy cooking/eating all

jjoj 06-02-2005 06:26 AM

Good morning! Dinner tonight is going to be tri-colored lasagna and a big salad. Take care!

cat lover 06-02-2005 06:33 AM

Last night we had Sauteed turkey smoked sausage(like polish sausage) with onions and green peppers. A pot of sauerkraut and the last of the mashed potato salad heated up. Also made a upside down apple cake.

sandieluvsbears, I copied your DD's crockpot lasagna; always looking for crockpot recipes on those days when we will be too tired to even think of cooking when supper time rolls around!ROFLMAO

barbszy, here is a combination actually of two recipes to come up with the balck and white cookies, I think the bakery glaze almost matches the ones you can buy at a bakery

Black and White Cookie Icing

A good bakery glaze is to mix 2-3/4 cups of confectioner’s sugar with 5 tablespoons of boiling water and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. The consistency should be a bit runny, but thick enough to spread, (thin it with more water, or add more sugar to thicken, if necessary). Once all the cookies are half frosted, stir 2 ounces of melted bittersweet chocolate into the remaining frosting (which is likely to need a little more thinning), and frost the other halves of the cookies.

Vanilla Sugar Cookies

1/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350°F . In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric beater. Add the egg, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in the flour and knead lightly until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough in half, then wrap each half in waxed paper to form a cylinder about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 2 hours. Cut the dough into 1/4-inch slices and arrange on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

3-1/2 to 4 dozen cookies

:cat:

barbszy 06-02-2005 06:39 AM

Thanks, Cat Lover! :heart2:
I know that icing will work. It's almost the same as the icing I made on the cookies this weekend, and that was fine. It's the cookie part I haven't gotten yet. I did find a recipe online that I'll try. These are not really a sugar cookie; in the bakery where I worked, the bakers used to call them "Drop Cakes" and the batter was much more cake-like than cookie-like.
I'm going to try your sugar cookie recipe, though, for regular cookies! Looks like a good and easy one. :)

futureteacher 06-02-2005 06:51 AM

Dinner tonight will be grilled pork loin with French bread and some kind of vegetable on the side.

sandieluvsbears 06-02-2005 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:confus:
I have no idea yet what Im having for dinner, but I just got this Copycat Recipe in an email for Hamburger Helper seasoning mix, thought Id post it here, I use Hamb Helper some times, (the beef one) and I will add broccoli, mushrooms and onions to it, and 1/2 cup sour cream for a stroganaff type dish, or Ill add bean sprout, peppers, mushroom, and broccoli, for a chinese type dish, dh loves it and its easy to make.

Copy Cat Hamburger Helper Seasoning Mix

2 cups Nonfat Dry Milk -- instant
1 cup Cornstarch
1/4 cup Chicken or Beef Bouillon Granules
2 tablespoons Onion Flakes -- dried
1 teaspoon Thyme -- dried
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Parsley -- dried
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

To Use: Chili Mac: Brown one pound ground beef and drain. Add one cup water, 1 1/2 cups of uncooked pasta, 30 oz canned chopped tomatoes, one tbsp chili powder and 1/2 cup seasoning mix.

Simmer covered 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.

Ground Beef Stroganoff: Brown 1 lb ground beef; drain. Add 2 cups water, 1/2 cup seasoning mix and 2 cups uncooked egg noodles and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Top with 1/2 cup sour cream. Serve immediately.

Have a good day
Hugs Sandie

bensmom526 06-02-2005 08:48 AM

I paid the 200 bucks

Yes I paid the 200 bucks for coffee..thank goodness he accepts cut up printer paper for currency =0)

Barbszy: Black & Whites ar so delish..dont have a recipe...but i have an offer i live 2 blocks from GERTEL'S which is an old jewish bakery (been there 75 yrs..best known for its rugelach...yes as you imagine im a regular) that makes authentic black&whites..I could try sending you some..also in the delis over here they sell a B&W in a cellophane wrapper they are delish too..but they are more cake like than cookie...mmm...i might just get the kids ready and get one...or an almond horeshoe...mmmm gee thanks barbszy..there goes the diet =0)

Oh yeah dinner..i have chicken leg quaters..and no clue what to do with them...

cat lover 06-02-2005 09:11 AM

barbszy:

Go to this site to order some black and whites online: (they even offer 15% off!)

www.zaro.com

Here is another recipe for them I found that sounds more like the drop cake like cookie that maybe you were looking for:

Zabar's Black and White Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Cookies:
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Frosting:
4 c confectioners' sugar
1/3 to 1/2 c boiling water
1 oz bittersweet chocolate

Preheat the oven to 375. Butter two baking sheets and set aside.

To make the cookies:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and butter. Mix with mixer or hand until fluffy. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla and lemon extracts and mix until smooth. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, and salt and stir until mixed. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in batches, stirring well to combine. Using a soup spoon or ice cream scoop, drop spoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake until the edges begin to brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

To make the frosting:
Place the confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Gradually add enough of the boiling water to the sugar, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and spreadable. Remove half of the frosting to the top half of a double boiler set over simmering water and add the chocolate. Warm the mixture, stirring, until the chocolate is melted and the frosting is smooth. Remove from the heat. With a brush, coat half the cookie with chocolate frosting and the other half with white frosting.

:cat:

barbszy 06-02-2005 10:30 AM

Catlover, that looks like it just might do it!
I'm hoping to get time to bake those tomorrow! ^^ ^^
Nancy, thanks so much for the offer of mailing them :heart2: I want to make them so I can freeze them, and have one when I want it. Our Shop Rite sells them as do the bagel stores, but there's nothing like a fresh baked one. If only I had gotten the secret recipe from the baker!

stellajean66 06-02-2005 12:43 PM

Hi all!!!

Hope everyone is doing good on this Thursday afternoon!!!

We will probably grab something for dinner out tonight on our way back from the grocery store. Won't feel like cooking after that errand!!! LOL

Have a good evening!!!

:-:

sharona 06-02-2005 01:11 PM

I am roasting a chicken tonight, and will have mashed potatoes and green beans. For some reason I am in the mood to cook, so I'd best act on it. LOL

DeBora4BobbyL 06-02-2005 02:12 PM

We just got our new travel trailer in that I'll be living in at school. DD is expecting to deliver in about 2-3 weeks. So, I'm busy and don't feel like cooking tonight. (Besides, I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer when we got home last night!) So, I'm going to make spaghetti and meatballs (frozen) with garlic bread (also frozen) with a crisp tossed salad.

RobertaD 06-02-2005 03:05 PM

I made cream dried beef over biscuits with peas. Wasn't too inspired but everything was in the refrigerator or freezer and bought on sale with coupons so the meal cost $2.50 and we have leftovers for two.

Roberta

sandieluvsbears 06-03-2005 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ROFLMAO
I just now noticed I have a CHEF GUY, lol, I had to go back to the May thread to find out why I got it, I never got a notice or anything, it just goes to show I dont always read the back posts, but as far as my not noticing it, I have no excuse for that, except, I must have been in a coma the last few days!!!

Tonight Im making macaroni pizza, this is another of my dd's recipes,the reason Im finding all her recipes is because I took her HUGE MESS of recipes the last time I was at her house and organized them all and emailed her them, she had recipes torn out from magizines,some written on the back of envelopes,one of them she tore out of a magazine, was so funny she was in the dentist office and found it, and she said do you know how hard that was to tear out that recipe without anyone hearing me do it?? I just cracked up laughing.
here is the recipe if anyone iwants it, I use my leftover spagh sauce for this and add pepperoni (dh's fav).

MACARONI PIZZA

Try this for an easy and different way to present homemade pizza.

Ingredients:
8 ounces uncooked macaroni
3 eggs
4 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
Beat the eggs in a bowl, add the cheeze and the macaroni, cooked and well drained. Spread on to a greased 14 inch pizza pan.

Bake in 3750 oven for 15 minutes.

While the pizza crust is baking, prepare ingredients to spread over crust.
1 - 15 ounce can prepared pizza sauce
˝ - 1 pound ground meat, browned
Assorted veggies – oinions, peppers, mushrooms
Assorted cold cuts – salami, pepperoni
Additional cheese – mozzarella, parmesan
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheeze is melted.

Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing. (Serves 6-8)

Have a great weekend everyone!!!
Hugs Sandie

barbszy 06-03-2005 08:03 AM

Tonight's dinner will be spareribs. "Side" dishes are undetermined at this time! ROFLMAO Possibly rice pilaf for the grownups, and boxed mac & cheese for the kids. Green salad.

Pag36 06-03-2005 08:45 AM

Not sure tonite but may be grilled cheese w/tomato sandwiches and french fries also got some mac & cheese leftover. Some thing simple and will not heat up the kitchen.

DeBora4BobbyL 06-03-2005 08:45 AM

ROTFL sandieluvsbears! I would definately go with the coma story! ;)

Tonight I making hamburger stroganoff with egg noodles, for side dishes I'm cooking carrots and leftover salad.

RobertaD 06-03-2005 09:58 AM

Tonight is easy LEFTOVERS! LOL I have a rump roast thawing for Saturday.

Roberta

stellajean66 06-03-2005 10:51 AM

Hi all and Happy Friday!!!

Hope everyone is doing good and looking forward to their weekend.

Another overcast day here today, with some light rain.

Dinner tonight is beef stroganoff, which is in the crockpot now, sides will be carrots and cucumber salad, and also crescent rolls. We are having a friend over for dinner tonight. I just pulled out of the oven a hummingbird cake. She has never had it before, so hopefully she will like it.

Have a great afternoon!!!

:daisy:

sonya 06-03-2005 03:31 PM

Dinner tonight is Monterey Ravioli, Crooked neck squash, zuccini, and garlic bread.

It's been a long short week.

Have a good weekend.

theirmom 06-03-2005 06:58 PM

Sandie, your sugar cookies look wonderful. I am going to have to try them. Sugar cookies are one of my favorites.

Tonight we are having leftover goulash. Last night I made enchiladas upon DD's request. I used chicken breast and let it simmer in the crockpot all day after browning the chicken breast. It tastes so much better after simmering. We have some left so they will be dinner tomorrow.

Have a wonderful weekend all.
Hugs, Stormy

Abear 06-03-2005 11:30 PM

Hi everyone! :wigg: Lots of good cooking going on in this thread!!

Last night I made spaghetti with browned ground round added to the sauce. I think the sauce had been in the freezer too long...it had a funny taste to it. :confus: I think I need to find me a recipe that freezes well. :help:

Tonight was supposed to be marinated chicken but when DD & DDF informed me that they were going out tonight with some friends, I decided that the two DS & I were going out for pizza. I've been wanting a specific pizza from a local place for well over a month now. (and barbszy's family's pizza trip the other night before the school fundraiser just made my craving worse! ;) ) The pizza is called The Cajun Executioner... it has pepperoni, two different kinds of cajun sausage, shrimp, bell pepper, onions, LOADS of jalapenos and their own special recipe pizza sauce! It is sooooo yummy! Even though I ordered a small pizza, I had enough leftover to bring some home for mine & FIL's lunch tomorrow. He loves pizza but won't go out for it. The two DS shared a cheese pizza and we all had salads. Excellent supper!!! :clapp: