FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What's For Dinner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/)
-   -   What's for Dinner? June 2005 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/14583-whats-dinner-june-2005-a.html)

cat lover 06-04-2005 06:42 AM

Going to fix Green Bean and Potato Casserole (crockpot style), probably grilled chicken breasts with it. Not really sure just depends on what looks quick and easy in the freezer when I dive into it. I also need to go over to the garden today (while it isn't raining) and pick whatever is ready. Got my KY Wonder Pole Beans planted a couple days ago; can't wait for those to start coming in!

Still have some Apple Upside Down Cake left from the other night so that will be dessert if it hasn't gone bad. With no AC and the rain it may have grown some little green fuzzy spots!ROFLMAO

Have several indoor and outdoor projects going on so really need to try and get ONE finished (so I can start another ):tong:

Have a good day!

:cat:

barbszy 06-04-2005 07:19 AM

Abear, I recommend the recipe I use for sauce. It freezes great. I have never noticed an "off" taste even if it's been hiding in the back of the freezer for quite a while.
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=3751
Scroll down till you find mine
Lee likes it.:-D

jjoj 06-04-2005 07:24 AM

I agree; Barbszy's sauce recipe is the best, hands down.:)
For dinner this evening, we are having tater tot casserole, salad, and lemon bars for dessert. Have a good weekend!

Abear 06-04-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by barbszy
I recommend the recipe I use for sauce. It freezes great. I have never noticed an "off" taste even if it's been hiding in the back of the freezer for quite a while.

Thanks Barb!!! Now if I can just get the right amounts of the "to taste" ingredients!!! ;) :-D ::-)::

Here's the direct link to Barb's recipe if anyone else is interested:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...9779#post99779

I can already feel my allergies acting up from that fresh cut grass!!! :ugh: :ugh:

barbszy 06-04-2005 08:19 AM

OK Abear, here is how I do the "to taste" stuff.
Assuming you're using the same amount of tomatoes, etc:

For basil and oregano, if you're using a stockpot (rather than a roaster oven), just sprinkle on until you have an even "sprinkle coating" of green on the top. I use a little more oregano than basil.
Sometimes I throw in a little dried parsley too.
Not much crushed red pepper unless everyone likes it spicy. Keep in mind that once this sauce has been frozen the spices will come out in force. I never like this sauce fresh on the first night--but once it's been in the freezer it comes out wonderful.

When I was working at carnival, I was talking recipes with one of the grandpas who was also helping in the kitchen. He looked & sounded just like Jerry Orbach....we were comparing sauce recipes and they were quite similar--until he got to the part about the 5 meats. I think he makes it like Jeannie's
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=9412

I hope you try & like this one. My grandmother got it from the Italian immigrant grandmother of one of my uncle's friends--since her way to make spaghetti was crumbled hamburgers and Campbell's tomato soup served over Mueller's elbows :-P::
My uncle loves to tell about how he found out what REAL spaghetti was when he went to the Altorelli's house ROFLMAO

DeBora4BobbyL 06-04-2005 08:40 AM

Abear, here's a recipe that I got off the Food Network that I LOVE. It makes more than I need, so I always half of it. Of course, you can add meat to it.

Sugo Sauce:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 anchovy fillets
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and hand crushed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Coat a wide saute pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onions, garlic, and anchovies; cook and stir for 5 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the olives, capers, and hand torn basil. Carefully add the tomatoes (nothing splashes like tomatoes), cook and stir over low heat, until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

When I cooked the beef brisket, I also cooked a couple of packages of boneless chicken and froze it. Tonight, with some of that chicken, I'm making chicken quesadillas, Spanish rice, and Ranch Style Beans.

barbszy 06-04-2005 08:59 AM

For dinner tonight, DH and I are going out! ^^ ^^ We're going to a place called Cafe Europa that has Eastern European food. Yum. I ate there with friends last week. It was good, fresh food and it's only 10 minutes away.
The kids will have Domino's.

DH is having an EEEK moment. We are going to leave Big DS in charge when we go out. When our babysitter started with us, she was just turning 13, and DS is 13 1/2 already. It will be daylight, neighbors will be home, cell phone will be on and we won't be gone long. But DH just can't get it in his head that DS is big enough to babysit.
We are setting it up so Big DS is in charge of DD, and DD is in charge of Luke. Of course, Big DS will be the main babysitter. DD is the helper and we will pay her a little something. DS will be paid more.

Abear 06-04-2005 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by barbszy
DH is having an EEEK moment. We are going to leave Big DS in charge when we go out. When our babysitter started with us, she was just turning 13, and DS is 13 1/2 already.
Oh Barb!!! ROFLMAO

I would be having an EEEK moment too if my DH wanted to leave DS # 1 to babysit !!!

Now, I am going to sound sexist so don't anyone start throwing things at me.......

When DD was 13, I would have let her babysit.......but DS is the same age as your DS and I would be a "Nervous Nelly" if I left him in charge of anyone!! But of course, DD was more mature at the age of 13 than DS is now. But I think that it is normal for girls to mature at an earlier age than boys.

Also, another factor is that anywhere really decent or worth going to around here is at least a 45 min drive...one way! (even Cracker Barrel!)

That said, I expect all to go well since you have close neighbors as a back-up (something we don't have) and you will only be a cell phone call away.

I hope that at least your DH can enjoy the "date".

barbszy 06-04-2005 10:04 AM

ROFLMAO
I know he will do all right. I already had him babysit Luke one day when DD had a dentist appointment and it went fine. DS is really great with Luke.
DH just doesn't like to think about the fact that DS is a teenager, and doing teenage things. He wants him to be 3 or 4 and listen to him read dinosaur books. He's admitted this! :-P::

DeBora4BobbyL 06-04-2005 11:50 AM

barbszy, some boys just seem to have that natural abilty with children too. Some boys make better babysitters than some girls. Although I agree with Abear, girls do mature faster than boys. I mean, (sorry gentlemen) how many adult males do you know that are gown-up?

The only difference between a man and a boy is the price of their toys.
;)