FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What's For Dinner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/)
-   -   What's for Dinner? June 2005 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/14583-whats-dinner-june-2005-a.html)

futureteacher 06-07-2005 05:36 AM

DeBora--
Good luck with your procedure!

Dinner tonight will be roasted chicken with cottage cheese and sliced tomatoes on the side.

Have a good Tuesday everyone, and happy eating!

barbszy 06-07-2005 06:07 AM

Good luck to DeBora and Abear on your procedures today :angel:

DH starts school tonight for the summer session (until July 21). So it's me and the kiddos. Dinner tonight will be breakfast! They asked for French toast, on Texas toast of course! I'll also make some Canadian bacon and serve a bowl of grapes and melon.

cat lover 06-07-2005 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by debknechtel
Cat Lover......Bear Can Chicken sounds interesting....care to share the recipe!!!

First I rinsed the whole chicken and removed the inards, and pat dry and put a dry rub on it. You can use whatever dry rub you like; here is the one I used:

1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup coarse grind black pepper
1/8 cup paprika

Then go light the grill on high only on one side with the lid closed to preheat it. Then open a 12 oz. can of beer and pour (or drink it) half out and add 2 tbsp. liquid smoke. Put the chicken over the can of beer and put a small peeled whole onion over the neck cavity of the chicken, this helps retain the vapors. Place the chicken sitting on the beer can into a 8X8 pan to catch the juices and prevent flareups. Place this on the UNLIT side of the grill and close the lid for 1 hour without peeking. Check on it and turn the grill down slightly and continue to cook about another hour or till skin is very dark brown and crisp; with a meat thermometer the temp should be 180 degrees in the thigh.

Quote:

Originally posted by Abear
cat lover - a lot of people around here make Beer Can Chicken but I've never tried it because I can't stand the taste of beer! Does the chicken pick up any of the flavor of beer??

I didn't taste the beer at all, I think it kept the chicken moist and the onion in the neck helped contain the flavors without a actual beer taste. It may be that I add the liquid smoke I really don't know, but it was really good! We don't eat the skin because of the high fat content, but it sure looked tempting!

I also know some people that have used can cola, or root beer. I would think a un cola (sprite or 7-UP) would work also. They didn't use a liquid smoke in theirs with the soft drink instead of the beer.

:cat:

[Recipe correction made by moderator, 6/07/05 5:24 pm]

debknechtel 06-07-2005 09:29 AM

Catlover, looks very interesting...not at all what I was thinking.....but sounds yummy. Will have to look for liquid smoke at my supermarket.

Tonight will be leftovers as we have a very busy night with weapons class grading and piano recital.I alos have to pack the kids bags for Wissconsin and the cleaning lady comes tonight!!!!

Hugs Debbie

jjoj 06-07-2005 09:39 AM

Hello, everyone! For supper tonight, we are having bbq chicken- grilled, salad and noodles. Take care!

stellajean66 06-07-2005 09:40 AM

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing good today.

It is sooooooooooooooo HOT and MUGGY here....................it is 88 degrees but with the humidity it feels like 98!!! YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!

Dinner tonight is cheeseburger pie, glazed carrots, and cucumber salad. And ice cream for dessert.

Have a good afternoon!!!

8-)

lghtheart4 06-07-2005 09:54 AM

hi stella...i can just imagine that FL heat!! does it cool down at night? i was wondering how you make your cucumber salad?

we just had pancakes for lunch so dinner will be a kind of do it your self style. i have been having a fruit craving lately so i may cut some apples up and have with sweet cream cheese dip or maybe i'll make a smoothie. i enjoy them in the summer.

happy day

elaine

stellajean66 06-07-2005 10:37 AM

Hi Elaine,

Yes, it is horribly hot here, and will just get worse. And no, it does NOT cool down here at night. Our air conditioner runs overtime!!! LOL My hubby works outside in the heat all day, so we like it cool. During the day it stays around 70 degrees in here, and at night I like to keep it at 68 degrees. Everyone says it is a meatlocker in here!!! LOL We like it cool, and have the HIGH electric bills to prove it!!! LOL

When I make a cucumber salad, I just chop up 2 cucumbers, one green onion, sometimes I will use a yellow onion. Put it in a bowl with enough sour cream to have it wet. And I add salt, pepper, and a little dried dill. My family loves it, this is the one salad I can ALWAYS get my 13 year old son to eat, since he thinks veggies are evil!!!! LOL

Have a great day!!!

lghtheart4 06-07-2005 11:03 AM

Hi Connie...:wigg:

Is your husband used to working in that heat? I'd have it cooled down inside also!

Thank you soo much for the cucumber salad recipe!! That sounds very cool and refreshing. I'm going to make it soon. Gotta get to the store for some cucumbers and sour cream...8-)

Well, enjoy the sunshine and stay cool!!

elaine..:icecr:

Abear 06-07-2005 11:12 AM

Had my CAT Scan........was scheduled for 8:00, so they wanted me there no later than 7:15 so I could get registered and then they could do some renal blood tests before the scan. The lab's machinery went down so I didn't get to get my scan started until a few minutes before 10:00 !!! :ugh: Since my doctor is out of town, I won't get my results until Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Quote:

Originally posted by stellajean66
During the day it stays around 70 degrees in here, and at night I like to keep it at 68 degrees.
Oh Connie, y'all wouldn't survive in our house!! ROFLMAO During the day, I have the A/C set on 80. If we are going to be gone all day, I have been known to cut it up to 82-84!! At night, it goes down to 75 when DH is home. I've just started cutting it down to only 77 when DH is not here and no one has complained....yet! We do have ceiling fans in every room of the house except the bathrooms & dining room.

laceykat - can you post the recipe for your Chicken Supreme?

bensmom526 - your sweet & sour chicken may not have been as tangy but at least it was healthier. ;) I've never seen Entenmanns Tres Leche cake around here. Think I'll look a little closer next time I go to the grocery store.......but I WON'T buy any!! I am doing too well on my "diet" to do that!

cat lover - so you pour ALL of the beer out and just use the can?! Around here, they leave beer in the can! Not sure if they pour some out and add anything to it for extra flavoring....... :confus:

Well, the hospital said I am to do NOTHING but veg-out for the rest of the day, stay indoors to keep from getting over heated...and drink 10 ounces of water PER HOUR until 11:00 pm!! I might as well grab a gallon of water and plan to spend the rest of the day in the bathroom! ::-):: The tech even walked me out and told DH that he either had to cook tonight or take me out to eat!

Since I would rather stay home so I can stick to my diet without temptation, DH said he will grill some steaks if it isn't raining and we'll have steak salads.......no idea what he will do if it is raining. :confus: I say he could grill under the car port but he doesn't like to do that! :rolleyes:

Well, I am off to drink more water.........

stellajean66 06-07-2005 11:23 AM

I am back.............LOL

Yes, Elaine, my hubby is definitely used to the heat. He has been at his job for 23 years. He does come home dog tired though, the heat just saps you of energy!!! You would think that being born and bred a Floridian, I could adapt to the heat, but I HATE it!!!! I much prefer being a popsicle!!! ROFLMAO

And Abear,

I would come and visit you, just couldn't stay the night!!!ROFLMAO

Most of my family keeps their houses at your temperature, but my brother keeps his house like mine!!! I always have company, so I keep extra afghans for people, if they need it!!! LOL

sandieluvsbears 06-07-2005 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:daisy:
Hi all, Well we have you weather today Connie its 90 degrees and HUMID and I hate HUMID!!! Im so glad dh put the A/C in over the weekend, I have it at 64 right now but when he comes home it will go up some, we dont agree on it either! Tonight Im having chicken on the grill, tossed salad and potatoes sliced thin with onion, butter, garlic pepper, and seasoned salt, just wrap them up tight in the foil (also add 1/4 cup of water, and cook in oven at 350 for about 45 min., you can do this on the grill too, but I findit easier in the oven and just keep them warm on the top part of the grill. Will have to try that cucumber salad I love cucumbers.Im leaving tomorrow to go to Cape Cod and stay with a friend I went to school with, dh is coming down Friday, its also my class reunion, they are having a clambake, Fri night, a brunch on Sat, and Sat night is a dance and a meet and greet thing, another brunch Sunday and not too sure what else, Im dying to get to the ocean, we didnt go down last year or the year before, for that matter now that I think about it, its been about 4 years since we went down there. I also have an aunt and uncle I want to visit, will probably do that Thursday, as they are both retired and said they wanted me to spend a night with them. Well have a good night all
Hugs Sandie

cat lover 06-07-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by debknechtel
Catlover, looks very interesting...not at all what I was thinking.....but sounds yummy. Will have to look for liquid smoke at my supermarket.
Quote:

cat lover - so you pour ALL of the beer out and just use the can?! Around here, they leave beer in the can! Not sure if they pour some out and add anything to it for extra flavoring....... :confus:

:eek: :o Sorry I messed up! You only pour out 1/2 of the beer! Hope everybody sees this that likes the recipe! SO SORRY!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Abear!

cat lover 06-07-2005 01:26 PM

Forgot to post supper tonight! Going to fix a ham and swiss skillet. Haven't had it before so if it turns out good I'll post the recipe. Will have tropical fruit salad with it. Might be enough of a good banana pudding recipe I made yesterday for dessert. If not we will have some type of smoothie with strawberries in it. I have some that need to be used up! So we might have those anyway!

All the talk about AC... never thought I could live without it, but we are doing fine. Right now the temp is 92 degrees outside , but with the windows and patio doors open 24/7 and the ceiling fans on we do fine. It really paid to have the log home built tucked back in the woods and then we had R33 insulation put in the roof which is all catherdal type ceilings inside. We even have to use blankets at night. Luckily out here in the woods there isn't any air polution so that makes the difference. When we go to the city I always have to put the AC on in the truck or my asthma acts up. So everybody thought we were crazy when we sadi no AC in the house! I love having the house open and really love the $50 utility bill per month!:clapp:

Have a good evening!

Abear 06-07-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cat lover
You only pour out 1/2 of the beer! Hope everybody sees this that likes the recipe! SO SORRY!! Thanks for bringing it to my attention Abear!
Just so you know, I went back and corrected the recipe for anyone who sees it from this point....I also printed it out while I was there!! :clapp: :clapp:

I made an "executive decision". DH will not be grilling. He just got home late last night, got up early to go with me for the scan and then went into the office to do paperwork, etc... Since we never know when he'll leave again, I decided to just have him pick up Subway for supper on his way home from the office. I'm having a 6" turkey breast sub on whole wheat with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, black olives and bell pepper. No mustard, mayo or cheese! :)

asp123us 06-07-2005 04:16 PM

Tonight was mac and cheese-homemade with bow tie pasta, peas, and meat of choice from grilled meat last Sat. Ds missed the lasanga last Friday, so he had some of that. He was on a Boy Scout trip for the weekend.

Have a great day!

Andrea

:sparkle:

cat lover 06-07-2005 05:56 PM

^^ Thanks for correcting the recipe Abear and hope you like it!

Sueanne 06-07-2005 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DS air conditioner broke down last week at the hottest time. Had to replace the whole unit. Doublewides really heat up without air conditioning. Even the portable fan started acting up after a couple of days. Hopefully will save on electric with a new energy saver model.

I usually can get by setting my airconditioner to 76* with ceiling fans running. Have quite a few shade trees that cool the house alot. Does get cooler here at night since we have more rolling hills & lakes.

Got home late so defrosted some hamburger and coated them with flavored bread crumbs. Sauteed some tomatoes & onions. Added the hamburgers were really tastey. Made a salad with peppers & tomatoes from my vegetable garden. Like planting roma tomatoes can be used in cooking or salads.

Called DS up later this evening house was nice and cool. Guess he will be having plenty of visitors looking to cool off.

Abear 06-07-2005 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sueanne
Like planting roma tomatoes can be used in cooking or salads.

Whenever possible, I only buy roma tomatoes. DD & I prefer them while DH & the two DS could really care less which tomatoes I buy!

Your tomato plants look so lush & full of tomatoes. I really envy your green thumb!

barbszy 06-08-2005 03:49 AM

I set our air to 74. The thermostat is on the lowest level (and we have a 3 level house, half a flight between each) so anything above that and the upstairs is unbearable. There are ceiling fans on the 2 upper levels and they are all going strong. So far this year 74 has worked. DH always likes to keep it so cold I go around the house in sweats. At this level I can still wear short sleeves and be comfortable.

Tonight for dinner we're having FLIPS! Can't wait to try them. Luke is on a broccoli kick again so there will be broccoli on the side for him, and sliced cucumbers for the other kids. DH and I will probably have a salad.

futureteacher 06-08-2005 06:05 AM

Tonight's dinner will be brats and tossed salad. It's too hot to cook in the house!
Have a good Wednesday--halfway through the week!

dinsky 06-08-2005 06:10 AM

Barbszy, I am with you. I wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt until it is time to go out, then I change to shorts.

We are having ribs, pasta salad with black beans and veggies, watermelon, and a veggie plate for dinner. Something for everybody.

What are flips?

Pag36 06-08-2005 06:20 AM

Not sure what dinner will be tonite. I have some fish filets already breaded that I may do. But of course Steven will not want any of it. But Adam and the rest of us will. If I get ambitious I may go down and put together mac & cheese in the crockpot as we all like that what else with it who knows. Got a load of clothes I want to hang out gives me a bit of exercise too which I for sure need.

Happy cooking/grilling/eating everyone

DeBora4BobbyL 06-08-2005 06:26 AM

I was scheduled to have the temporary Occipital Nerve Stimulator put in at 4pm and ended up not going in until 8pm! I didn't get home until 11pm. I do NOT like it, so I will hopefully get this out Friday. I like the nerve blocks better and they have given me great results!

Many of you would hate the temp at my house. DH loves to have icecicles on the ceiling! I am a desert rat so my chihuahuas and I huddle around a little heater year-round! lol

You guys are making me hungry with the drunken chicken, the flips, and the salads! I haven't decided what to have for dinner. It'll depend on how I am feeling. DH is going to TX to get DGD. She 21 months old. She asked my SIL if she could come visit Nana and I said YES (of course, after they twisted my arm!;) ) So, I may have spaghetti and meatballs since that is EASY! I can get the meatballs frozen and the sauce pre-made as well. I'll have to throw together a salad since she and I LOVE salads too!

I hope everyone is having a great hump day!

Abear 06-08-2005 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dinsky
What are flips?
Debbie - here's the link to DeBora18's recipe:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=14089

Not sure what we're having for dinner tonight. Going with DD to look for wedding invitations & napkins and then to get the two DS their allergy shots. THEN, we're going to do some grocery shopping. I'll decide what I am cooking after we get done shopping. It won't be anything too difficult since my arm that they injected that dye into is really sore & hurting.

bensmom526 06-08-2005 09:13 AM

hi

Dinner: we went for a walk..actuallly we used to do this route when we were dating ...we didnt go far..it didnt seem so long of a stroll of course that was minus 2 kids =0) so we stopped for pizza..bens choice im so tired of the stuff

dinner tonight is the leftover sweet and sour chicken..but i got the right can of pineapples so im remaking the sauce =0)

Got a question...Does anyone have a recipe for SANGRIA?

happy cooking
nancy

DeBora4BobbyL 06-08-2005 09:39 AM

Personally, I do not think that you can go wrong with Sangria Bensmom. Here's a recipe that you can change around a bit depending on what juices that you like and what sweeteners that you like (honey, sugar, etc...)

Sangria

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 large lemon
1 large orange
1 small apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 (750 ml.) bottle dry red wine (recommended: Rioja)
1/2 cup Grand Marnier

Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Thinly slice 1/2 of the lemon and 1/2 of the orange. Combine in large pitcher. Juice the other halves of the lemon and orange and add juice and rinds to the pitcher. Add the apple, wine, Grand Marnier and chilled syrup to the pitcher and stir until well mixed. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours. Serve straight up or on the rocks.

This is one of Emeril;s recipes on foodnetwork.com. I LOVE everything that he makes. Mostly, Sangria is red wine and citris juices and sugar.

Good luck!

BTW, let us know how your results go Abear!

theirmom 06-08-2005 01:09 PM

Hi all :wave2:

Tonight I am making baked chicken, baked Zuccinni (sp) and left over mashed potatoes. A nice simple meal for tonight.

Hope all have a great day.
Hugs

stellajean66 06-08-2005 01:19 PM

Hi all, and Happy Hump Day!!!

Hope everyone is keeping cool................it is soooooooooooooo HOT!!!

Dinner tonight is barbecued pork ribs, mac and cheese and corn on the cob. I cooked up some butterscotch pudding for dessert. YUM YUM!!!

Have a good evening!!!

:cool:

Abear 06-08-2005 03:14 PM

Well, supper has been decided. Stuffed, skinless chicken breasts for everyone else and a skinless, seasoned chicken breast for me. I am also baking some potatoes and steaming some carrots. I'll also put some salad on the table for anyone who is interested in eating some other than myself.

barbszy 06-08-2005 04:02 PM

FLIPS were a big hit! :clapp: :clapp: DD said, "Make these again!" Great recipe, DeBora! :bouncer:

asp123us 06-08-2005 05:10 PM

Hello,

We had "whatever you can find to eat" night. Dh wasn't hungry and kids had late snacks at daycare, so no sense in making a big meal. Dd had cereal, ds had pb/j sandwich, I had leftover grilled BBQ chicken. Dh hasn't eaten yet.

Have a great day!

Andrea

:sparkle:

Sueanne 06-08-2005 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Whenever possible, I only buy roma tomatoes. DD & I prefer them while DH & the two DS could really care less which tomatoes I buy!

Your tomato plants look so lush & full of tomatoes. I really envy your green thumb!

Abear.....Usually plant about six Roma Tomatoes. The Cherry Tomatoes help keep the birds away from my good stuff. I am already freezing some whole in case something happens to them. Like using them in everything I cook.
My DH always adds some topsoil before he starts planting. Works some fertilizer in the ground too.

The tree cutter stopped by today to give a quote on a large oak tree that I want taken down. He was surprised to see all the red tomatoes waiting to be picked. Gave him a bowl with some I had just picked and a salt shaker. Said it brought back memories of when he was a kid picking tomatoes. They are so sweet.
_______
Sueanne:daisy:

Sueanne 06-08-2005 05:26 PM

Bought some sirloin steaks that were on sale at Winn Dixie for $2.99 a pound. Even gave DS a package to eat for dinner.
Cooked some peppers from the garden & a salad. Had to laugh when I was cleaning up after dinner DH eat only a piece the size of a deck of cards. Guess I will not have any for lunch tomorrow since I ate my whole piece. He does follow his diet since he is a Diabetic. I know I should watch too but could not resist a tender steak.

futureteacher 06-09-2005 06:23 AM

Tonight's dinner is beef enchiladas with Mexican rice on the side. Have a great day everyone!

dinsky 06-09-2005 06:41 AM

Tonight we are pulling leftovers out. I am not sure what we are going to do with them, we may simply set it out buffet style and see what happens. The frig needs to be very empty because we are having a cookout Saturday. So...the family gets what it gets tonight. I need to go assess the situation.

Debbie

:walk:

debknechtel 06-09-2005 06:47 AM

Tonight supper will be at the school. they are having a fun fair and will be having BBQ'd hot dogs and hamburgers. Since it is only Paige and I it will be easy!!

Have a super day everyone!!!

Hugs Debbie

barbszy 06-09-2005 06:51 AM

We're having spaghetti & meatballs tonight.

Pag36 06-09-2005 07:16 AM

Hello all headed to commissary to pick up a few things not sure what we will have tonite for dinner. May pick up a box of frozen already fried chicken and who knows what else.

bensmom526 06-09-2005 09:49 AM

=0)

have a wedding rehearsal tonight..so not cooking tonight

so its prob. MCDONALDS for ben and omar
or pizza..yuck

nancy