FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What's For Dinner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/)
-   -   What's for Dinner? June 2005 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/14583-whats-dinner-june-2005-a.html)

cat lover 06-02-2005 06:33 AM

Last night we had Sauteed turkey smoked sausage(like polish sausage) with onions and green peppers. A pot of sauerkraut and the last of the mashed potato salad heated up. Also made a upside down apple cake.

sandieluvsbears, I copied your DD's crockpot lasagna; always looking for crockpot recipes on those days when we will be too tired to even think of cooking when supper time rolls around!ROFLMAO

barbszy, here is a combination actually of two recipes to come up with the balck and white cookies, I think the bakery glaze almost matches the ones you can buy at a bakery

Black and White Cookie Icing

A good bakery glaze is to mix 2-3/4 cups of confectioner’s sugar with 5 tablespoons of boiling water and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. The consistency should be a bit runny, but thick enough to spread, (thin it with more water, or add more sugar to thicken, if necessary). Once all the cookies are half frosted, stir 2 ounces of melted bittersweet chocolate into the remaining frosting (which is likely to need a little more thinning), and frost the other halves of the cookies.

Vanilla Sugar Cookies

1/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350°F . In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric beater. Add the egg, vanilla, and salt; beat until smooth. Stir in the flour and knead lightly until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough in half, then wrap each half in waxed paper to form a cylinder about 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Refrigerate the dough until firm, about 2 hours. Cut the dough into 1/4-inch slices and arrange on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

3-1/2 to 4 dozen cookies

:cat:

barbszy 06-02-2005 06:39 AM

Thanks, Cat Lover! :heart2:
I know that icing will work. It's almost the same as the icing I made on the cookies this weekend, and that was fine. It's the cookie part I haven't gotten yet. I did find a recipe online that I'll try. These are not really a sugar cookie; in the bakery where I worked, the bakers used to call them "Drop Cakes" and the batter was much more cake-like than cookie-like.
I'm going to try your sugar cookie recipe, though, for regular cookies! Looks like a good and easy one. :)

futureteacher 06-02-2005 06:51 AM

Dinner tonight will be grilled pork loin with French bread and some kind of vegetable on the side.

sandieluvsbears 06-02-2005 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:confus:
I have no idea yet what Im having for dinner, but I just got this Copycat Recipe in an email for Hamburger Helper seasoning mix, thought Id post it here, I use Hamb Helper some times, (the beef one) and I will add broccoli, mushrooms and onions to it, and 1/2 cup sour cream for a stroganaff type dish, or Ill add bean sprout, peppers, mushroom, and broccoli, for a chinese type dish, dh loves it and its easy to make.

Copy Cat Hamburger Helper Seasoning Mix

2 cups Nonfat Dry Milk -- instant
1 cup Cornstarch
1/4 cup Chicken or Beef Bouillon Granules
2 tablespoons Onion Flakes -- dried
1 teaspoon Thyme -- dried
1 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 tablespoons Parsley -- dried
1 tablespoon Garlic Powder

Mix the ingredients together in a large bowl and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

To Use: Chili Mac: Brown one pound ground beef and drain. Add one cup water, 1 1/2 cups of uncooked pasta, 30 oz canned chopped tomatoes, one tbsp chili powder and 1/2 cup seasoning mix.

Simmer covered 20 minutes or until pasta is tender.

Ground Beef Stroganoff: Brown 1 lb ground beef; drain. Add 2 cups water, 1/2 cup seasoning mix and 2 cups uncooked egg noodles and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are tender. Top with 1/2 cup sour cream. Serve immediately.

Have a good day
Hugs Sandie

bensmom526 06-02-2005 08:48 AM

I paid the 200 bucks

Yes I paid the 200 bucks for coffee..thank goodness he accepts cut up printer paper for currency =0)

Barbszy: Black & Whites ar so delish..dont have a recipe...but i have an offer i live 2 blocks from GERTEL'S which is an old jewish bakery (been there 75 yrs..best known for its rugelach...yes as you imagine im a regular) that makes authentic black&whites..I could try sending you some..also in the delis over here they sell a B&W in a cellophane wrapper they are delish too..but they are more cake like than cookie...mmm...i might just get the kids ready and get one...or an almond horeshoe...mmmm gee thanks barbszy..there goes the diet =0)

Oh yeah dinner..i have chicken leg quaters..and no clue what to do with them...

cat lover 06-02-2005 09:11 AM

barbszy:

Go to this site to order some black and whites online: (they even offer 15% off!)

www.zaro.com

Here is another recipe for them I found that sounds more like the drop cake like cookie that maybe you were looking for:

Zabar's Black and White Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Cookies:
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Frosting:
4 c confectioners' sugar
1/3 to 1/2 c boiling water
1 oz bittersweet chocolate

Preheat the oven to 375. Butter two baking sheets and set aside.

To make the cookies:
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and butter. Mix with mixer or hand until fluffy. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla and lemon extracts and mix until smooth. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, and salt and stir until mixed. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in batches, stirring well to combine. Using a soup spoon or ice cream scoop, drop spoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
Bake until the edges begin to brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

To make the frosting:
Place the confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Gradually add enough of the boiling water to the sugar, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and spreadable. Remove half of the frosting to the top half of a double boiler set over simmering water and add the chocolate. Warm the mixture, stirring, until the chocolate is melted and the frosting is smooth. Remove from the heat. With a brush, coat half the cookie with chocolate frosting and the other half with white frosting.

:cat:

barbszy 06-02-2005 10:30 AM

Catlover, that looks like it just might do it!
I'm hoping to get time to bake those tomorrow! ^^ ^^
Nancy, thanks so much for the offer of mailing them :heart2: I want to make them so I can freeze them, and have one when I want it. Our Shop Rite sells them as do the bagel stores, but there's nothing like a fresh baked one. If only I had gotten the secret recipe from the baker!

stellajean66 06-02-2005 12:43 PM

Hi all!!!

Hope everyone is doing good on this Thursday afternoon!!!

We will probably grab something for dinner out tonight on our way back from the grocery store. Won't feel like cooking after that errand!!! LOL

Have a good evening!!!

:-:

sharona 06-02-2005 01:11 PM

I am roasting a chicken tonight, and will have mashed potatoes and green beans. For some reason I am in the mood to cook, so I'd best act on it. LOL

DeBora4BobbyL 06-02-2005 02:12 PM

We just got our new travel trailer in that I'll be living in at school. DD is expecting to deliver in about 2-3 weeks. So, I'm busy and don't feel like cooking tonight. (Besides, I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer when we got home last night!) So, I'm going to make spaghetti and meatballs (frozen) with garlic bread (also frozen) with a crisp tossed salad.