FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What's For Dinner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/)
-   -   What's for Dinner? June 2005 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/14583-whats-dinner-june-2005-a.html)

cat lover 06-04-2005 06:42 AM

Going to fix Green Bean and Potato Casserole (crockpot style), probably grilled chicken breasts with it. Not really sure just depends on what looks quick and easy in the freezer when I dive into it. I also need to go over to the garden today (while it isn't raining) and pick whatever is ready. Got my KY Wonder Pole Beans planted a couple days ago; can't wait for those to start coming in!

Still have some Apple Upside Down Cake left from the other night so that will be dessert if it hasn't gone bad. With no AC and the rain it may have grown some little green fuzzy spots!ROFLMAO

Have several indoor and outdoor projects going on so really need to try and get ONE finished (so I can start another ):tong:

Have a good day!

:cat:

barbszy 06-04-2005 07:19 AM

Abear, I recommend the recipe I use for sauce. It freezes great. I have never noticed an "off" taste even if it's been hiding in the back of the freezer for quite a while.
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=3751
Scroll down till you find mine
Lee likes it.:-D

jjoj 06-04-2005 07:24 AM

I agree; Barbszy's sauce recipe is the best, hands down.:)
For dinner this evening, we are having tater tot casserole, salad, and lemon bars for dessert. Have a good weekend!

Abear 06-04-2005 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by barbszy
I recommend the recipe I use for sauce. It freezes great. I have never noticed an "off" taste even if it's been hiding in the back of the freezer for quite a while.

Thanks Barb!!! Now if I can just get the right amounts of the "to taste" ingredients!!! ;) :-D ::-)::

Here's the direct link to Barb's recipe if anyone else is interested:

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...9779#post99779

I can already feel my allergies acting up from that fresh cut grass!!! :ugh: :ugh:

barbszy 06-04-2005 08:19 AM

OK Abear, here is how I do the "to taste" stuff.
Assuming you're using the same amount of tomatoes, etc:

For basil and oregano, if you're using a stockpot (rather than a roaster oven), just sprinkle on until you have an even "sprinkle coating" of green on the top. I use a little more oregano than basil.
Sometimes I throw in a little dried parsley too.
Not much crushed red pepper unless everyone likes it spicy. Keep in mind that once this sauce has been frozen the spices will come out in force. I never like this sauce fresh on the first night--but once it's been in the freezer it comes out wonderful.

When I was working at carnival, I was talking recipes with one of the grandpas who was also helping in the kitchen. He looked & sounded just like Jerry Orbach....we were comparing sauce recipes and they were quite similar--until he got to the part about the 5 meats. I think he makes it like Jeannie's
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...&threadid=9412

I hope you try & like this one. My grandmother got it from the Italian immigrant grandmother of one of my uncle's friends--since her way to make spaghetti was crumbled hamburgers and Campbell's tomato soup served over Mueller's elbows :-P::
My uncle loves to tell about how he found out what REAL spaghetti was when he went to the Altorelli's house ROFLMAO

DeBora4BobbyL 06-04-2005 08:40 AM

Abear, here's a recipe that I got off the Food Network that I LOVE. It makes more than I need, so I always half of it. Of course, you can add meat to it.

Sugo Sauce:

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 anchovy fillets
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and hand crushed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Coat a wide saute pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onions, garlic, and anchovies; cook and stir for 5 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the olives, capers, and hand torn basil. Carefully add the tomatoes (nothing splashes like tomatoes), cook and stir over low heat, until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

When I cooked the beef brisket, I also cooked a couple of packages of boneless chicken and froze it. Tonight, with some of that chicken, I'm making chicken quesadillas, Spanish rice, and Ranch Style Beans.

barbszy 06-04-2005 08:59 AM

For dinner tonight, DH and I are going out! ^^ ^^ We're going to a place called Cafe Europa that has Eastern European food. Yum. I ate there with friends last week. It was good, fresh food and it's only 10 minutes away.
The kids will have Domino's.

DH is having an EEEK moment. We are going to leave Big DS in charge when we go out. When our babysitter started with us, she was just turning 13, and DS is 13 1/2 already. It will be daylight, neighbors will be home, cell phone will be on and we won't be gone long. But DH just can't get it in his head that DS is big enough to babysit.
We are setting it up so Big DS is in charge of DD, and DD is in charge of Luke. Of course, Big DS will be the main babysitter. DD is the helper and we will pay her a little something. DS will be paid more.

Abear 06-04-2005 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by barbszy
DH is having an EEEK moment. We are going to leave Big DS in charge when we go out. When our babysitter started with us, she was just turning 13, and DS is 13 1/2 already.
Oh Barb!!! ROFLMAO

I would be having an EEEK moment too if my DH wanted to leave DS # 1 to babysit !!!

Now, I am going to sound sexist so don't anyone start throwing things at me.......

When DD was 13, I would have let her babysit.......but DS is the same age as your DS and I would be a "Nervous Nelly" if I left him in charge of anyone!! But of course, DD was more mature at the age of 13 than DS is now. But I think that it is normal for girls to mature at an earlier age than boys.

Also, another factor is that anywhere really decent or worth going to around here is at least a 45 min drive...one way! (even Cracker Barrel!)

That said, I expect all to go well since you have close neighbors as a back-up (something we don't have) and you will only be a cell phone call away.

I hope that at least your DH can enjoy the "date".

barbszy 06-04-2005 10:04 AM

ROFLMAO
I know he will do all right. I already had him babysit Luke one day when DD had a dentist appointment and it went fine. DS is really great with Luke.
DH just doesn't like to think about the fact that DS is a teenager, and doing teenage things. He wants him to be 3 or 4 and listen to him read dinosaur books. He's admitted this! :-P::

DeBora4BobbyL 06-04-2005 11:50 AM

barbszy, some boys just seem to have that natural abilty with children too. Some boys make better babysitters than some girls. Although I agree with Abear, girls do mature faster than boys. I mean, (sorry gentlemen) how many adult males do you know that are gown-up?

The only difference between a man and a boy is the price of their toys.
;)

Nchilada5 06-04-2005 12:50 PM

tonight we are having bbq hamburgers & hotdogs . It has turned out to be a beautiful day and I'd much rather cook outside than in. I'm making a macaroni salad & two bean salad as well.

:help: :help: :help: Do any of you add seasoning and/or other ingredients to your hamburger meat before you bbq it or just make meat patties and head straight to the grill? This has become a big neighborhood debate and I would love to hear how you all do your burgers :sausa:

RobertaD 06-04-2005 12:56 PM

I have a pot roast cooking with onion will add carrots & potatoes later. I have some biscuits leftover from the other day so we will finish them up.

Roberta

Abear 06-04-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

originally posted by barbszy
I already had him babysit Luke one day when DD had a dentist appointment and it went fine.

I had forgotten about that!! I am guessing that your DH did not know about that???!! ::-):: Thats funny about your DH wanting your oldest son to stay little.....he'll have a heart attack when your DD starts dating!! ROFLMAO

My DH is glad to see the boys get older so that he can do more things with them. But you should have seen him when DD had her first "real" date at 16!! His B/P went through the roof! I had to make him take an extra B/P pill and a very mild sedative and go lie down after DD left! He refused to budge off the couch when it started getting within a few hours of her curfew. It was hilarious! I think he was worse than her own Dad would have been if he were still with us. (BTW- DD's date just happened to be with her now fiancee! They've been together 5 years)

Quote:

Originally posted by Nchilada5
Do any of you add seasoning and/or other ingredients to your hamburger meat before you bbq it or just make meat patties and head straight to the grill?
Yes, we season our hamburger meat before grilling it. It is a MUST in this area! ;) Usually we add a salt-free cajun seasoning that is made at a local meat market. Sometimes, DH will also add some mesquite seasoning.

DeBora4BobbyL 06-04-2005 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nchilada5
...Do any of you add seasoning and/or other ingredients to your hamburger meat before you bbq it or just make meat patties and head straight to the grill? ...
Burgers are my DHs favorite thing to grill. He puts my homemade fajita seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, & onion powder) and Worcestershire sauce to our burgers. The sauce will help keep them moist. Some people I know add a pacjage onion soup to theirs. Good luck and have fun!

stellajean66 06-04-2005 03:49 PM

Hi all,

Hope everyone is enjoying your day.

It is WET here today, nice storms for us, even shut the power off for a bit. Nice day to veg on the couch and watch movies. We just got done watching The Aviator!!! Great movie!!!

For hamburgers, we always add worcestershire sauce,salt, pepper, garlic powder and a bit of dried onion flakes. Mix them up and pop them on the grill!!! YUM YUM!!!

We are eating out tonight, Steak-n-Shake.

Catch ya later!!!

:-P::

jjoj 06-04-2005 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DeBora18
barbszy, some boys just seem to have that natural abilty with children too. Some boys make better babysitters than some girls. Although I agree with Abear, girls do mature faster than boys. I mean, (sorry gentlemen) how many adult males do you know that are gown-up?

The only difference between a man and a boy is the price of their toys.
;)

Lol, Debora. That is so cute! I love it.

barbszy 06-05-2005 05:09 AM

Adventures in Babysitting

Well, we got home last night and the house was still standing :-: the kids were watching "The Empire Strikes Back" and DS was getting a drink for Luke. So all was successful in Babysitting Land.
DH liked the restaurant (I had been there before with friends so I already knew I liked it).
I don't know that I'd leave DS to babysit for a long period of time, but for a dinner at a local place, it worked out just fine. :clapp:

RobertaD 06-05-2005 05:23 AM

As a mom of 2 (3 & 9) I wouldn't have a sitter that was 13-14 yr old for more than 2-3 hours.

I have a friend that has 12 & 8 yr old boys and has started having the 12 yr old watch the 8 yr old for 1-2 hours so she can go to the grocery or a quick dinner with her DH.

Roberta

futureteacher 06-05-2005 07:31 AM

Dinner on Friday ended up being frozen pizza--just didn't feel like cooking! Saturday was another pork loin--this time I tried something new. Here goes:
Pork loin and rice:
Marinate pork loin (about 3 lb) in soy sauce/brown sugar mixture overnight. Sear on grill. Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix 1 1/2 cups rice, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup and 2 cups water. Pour into greased 9x13 or larger glass baking dish. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours.
I was very happy with the way this turned out and it was a nice change of pace. Served it with the rice and a green salad.
Tonight's dinner will be grilled salmon. Will probably have baked potatoes and another green salad on the side.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

futureteacher 06-05-2005 07:34 AM

Almost forgot--on the pork loin and rice recipe, I wrapped the pork loin in strips of bacon, secured with a toothpick. Then I covered the dish with foil before baking.

DeBora4BobbyL 06-05-2005 09:24 AM

Congratulations barbszy on a successful babysitting night. It makes it easier to go out when you can trust someone to babysit.

Tonight, I've pulled out leftover beef brisket and pinto beans from the freezer. I'll also have some potato salad and I also pulled out some leftover jalapeno cornbread.

Abear 06-05-2005 09:50 AM

DeBora18 - forgot to thank you for the sauce recipe that you were kind enough to post. Thanks for the thought, it's what counts!!! :heart: But................I don't "do" anchovies!! :ugh: Just the thought of them (or sardines) makes me shudder!!

barbszy - glad to hear all was well on the home front and that you and your DH had a nice time. Did your DH ever come to terms with DS babysitting??

It's going to be tacos for lupper here today. Shrimp tacos for DD & DDF and regular tacos for the two DS. I may eat one shrimp taco but I am going to make me a taco salad...just a salad with some taco meat on top. I am using ground turkey breast for the taco meat. I am hoping to have the will power to pass on the shrimp taco but just don't know if I have it...that recipe from CulinaryJen is just soooo yummy!! Really need to lose some weight.... so I can shop for a dress for DD's wedding and also per the doctor's instructions for my knee.

DeBora4BobbyL 06-05-2005 12:58 PM

LOL Abear. I used to think that too. Did you know that anchovies are what give Worcestershire sauce its flavor? Check out the ingredients. It's just enough to give something flavor without that fishy taste. However, I totally understand hangups about certain foods. I won't eat foods if I KNOW that a certain ingredient is in it. My family HATE anchovies, but they never know when I put them in and I NEVER tell them.;)

cat lover 06-06-2005 06:07 AM

Going out to find the nearest town to get some beer! Don't get excited!:tong: I want to make beer can chicken for supper tonight; I got a good deal on the whole chicken yesterday and then when I got home discovered I only had bottled beer. Have plenty of leftover steamed sugar snap peas, green beans and potatoes and broccoli salad from the last couple nights so supper will be easy tonight.

Warm outside yesterday 93 degrees! Not bad in the house; just turned on the ceiling fans and last night put a large fan at the patio door and brought in all that cool night air. Today is supposed to be about the same, but possible thunderstorms this afternoon. I may be cooking my beer can chicken in the rain! Won't be the first time I've cooked on the grill in wet weather; heck I even cook in the snow.

Better get going to find those ingredients and maybe find a few stores I haven't seen before back in the little towns!:clapp:

Have a good day!

:cat:

futureteacher 06-06-2005 06:37 AM

Dinner tonight will be BLTs with cottage cheese on the side. Warm here today--supposed to get up to 90! Summer is here!

bensmom526 06-06-2005 08:43 AM

hi

hi everyone

had unexpected company...i hate when people call and say ill be over in 20 mins...i was just about to start dinnre for us and BAM here com guests unannounced you mean they couldnt call in the 5hr drive to get here...then they are picky too..so its been chinese and dominos over here >=0{ Im so mad because we were on a tight budget this week..every dollar was accounted for

so i have to make due with whats in the freezer...so we'll be having a whoooole lot a chicken this week

any ideas?:typ:

debknechtel 06-06-2005 08:48 AM

Cat Lover......Bear Can Chicken sounds interesting....care to share the recipe!!!

Dinner tonight will be chicken on the BBQ, grilled beans and carrots with a salad to go with it. Cleaned one of the freezers yesterday found some chicken parts that needed to get used up so will cook them all. This will leave leftovers for me while hubby and the boys are gone to Wisconnsin this week.

Very hot and humid here +36 today plus the humidity makes me wilt.......had to put the air conditioner on.

Hope all are well

Hugs debbie

lghtheart4 06-06-2005 09:01 AM

Good Morning Everyone...:wave2:

I haven't been cooking much lately due to not having much time for anything but work. But now summer is here and I try very hard to slow down a bit in June, July and August.

I made a tasty dish last evening. I saw Paula Deen make it on her cooking show.

This is her version of Sloppy Joes.

1 pound lean ground beef
2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup prepared French onion soup...you may need a bit more depending on how sloppy you want these
Yellow mustard
4 or 8 slices white bread (we had wheat)
1 medium onion, cut into rings

In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and drain. Return ground beef to skillet and sprinkle in 2 to 3 tablespoons flour. Add onion soup, stir, and cook until meat mixture is thickened and most of the liquid is absorbed. Spread mustard on white bread, spoon ground beef mixture onto bread and top with onion.

Makes 4 servings. On her show she used 2 slices of bread to make a sandwich which is what we did also. I would also suggest adding some salt and a bit of pepper. Otherwise it was a thumbs up...:)

Elaine

Abear 06-06-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bensmom526
had unexpected company...i hate when people call and say ill be over in 20 mins...i was just about to start dinnre for us and BAM here com guests unannounced you mean they couldnt call in the 5hr drive to get here...then they are picky too..so its been chinese and dominos over here
Nancy, you are a better person than I would have been under the same circumstances! I would have made whatever I had originally planned for supper...with a little extra. Then I would have told them "I'm sorry but with such little notice, I didn't have time to plan some meals around your likes & dislikes." If they wanted Dominoes at that point, I wold have let them order it AND pay for it!!! Guests should not be so inconsiderate to show up with such little notice and expect you to cater to them and blow your budget. :rolleyes:

Is the chicken you're needing recipes for bone-in or boneless???

cat lover - a lot of people around here make Beer Can Chicken but I've never tried it because I can't stand the taste of beer! Does the chicken pick up any of the flavor of beer??

Deb - do you & Paige have any mother-daughter activities planned for the time that the guys will be gone???

We're finally going to have that marinated chicken tonight! Will served it with steamed rice, salad and a veggie yet to be determined.

bensmom526 06-06-2005 09:41 AM

>=0(

ABEAR:
Im still fumming..show up hands in their pockets...oh we only like pepsi and when you go to thier house they will serve store brand...they wouldnt do it for us...and everything was frozen i mean i was lighting the stove when they called...hmmph

boneless chicken i had stocked up on it when it was on sale for 1.99 so i have about 4 packs left...

:confus:

debknechtel 06-06-2005 09:53 AM

Quote:

Deb - do you & Paige have any mother-daughter activities planned for the time that the guys will be gone???
Cindy,

I have to work but on the weekend we are both going to get our hair done and then out for supper and a movie. We may do a little shopping to!!! Apart from that if the weather is nice we will be the first ones in the pool. We will probably do some scrapbooking or beading....she loves to do crafts. She just loves having my full attention for 6 days!!!

Hugs Debbie

barbszy 06-06-2005 10:06 AM

Nancy, you get the Hospitality Queen award for sure.
Things like that are why I refused after my Big Kids' birthday party in January, to have one in March for Luke. One relative had the nerve to say to me, "Is there an ice rink near here? Because my kids are getting bored." I just said, "With all the toys in here, it looks like Toys R Us exploded in the family room. How could they possibly be bored?" I was so :ugh:
So I told DH no more parties. I quit. We used his China trip as an excuse that time. I will have no excuse next time :-O

Tonight's dinner will be Chicken Parmesan if I ever get the sauce started :-O I'll cook it in the roaster oven so it won't get so hot in the kitchen.

stellajean66 06-06-2005 11:12 AM

Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing good on this Monday!!!

It is sooooooooooooooo HUMID here. There is NO WAY, I could be without my airconditioning!!!! LOL My summer electric bills are OUTRAGEOUS, but we hate being hot, so it is a price we are willing to pay!!! LOL

Dinner tonight is left-overs. Shrimp scampi, which we had at a restaurant the other night. They serve such big helpings that we are able to make two meals out of it!!!
Not sure about a veggy yet though!!!

Have a good afternoon!!!

:-P::

bensmom526 06-06-2005 11:14 AM

the nerve..

barbszy....thats one of those moments that deserved a flipped bird...

then they sat at the table waiting for choices on breakfast...
yes unannounced and spent the night..then left the kid behind so DH could buy her a ticket and put her on a bus back...

oh by the way im making sweet and sour chicken..
and as soon as ben wakes up ill go get some jasmine rice
oh and bell peppers too...

:cocacola: having my coffee and candice is having some milk

DeBora4BobbyL 06-06-2005 11:31 AM

bensmom526, you are a lot nicer than I would be! I've had guests show up without calling first. I just don't answer the door! If they want to come to my house and want me to play hostess--they call first and find out when it is a good time. If they call and say that they've driven almost 5 hours and are almost at my house, I would tell them that too bad it isn't a good time and that I would be able to entertain--and not answer the door. I guess maybe I'm a little cold blooded or mean.

Tonight we're still having beef brisket leftovers. We are slowly working our way through our WONDERFUL BBQ. I told DH that I wanted to get another one before I move 3 1/2 hours away to main campus. I really miss home--Texas!

laceykat 06-06-2005 03:13 PM

Dinner tonight is Chicken Supreme, a casserole type of dish made with boneless skinless chicken breast, onion, butter, stuffing, cream chicken soup and cheddar cheese. SO GOOD! And everyone loves it very much, especially since I use the cornbread stuffing, which makes it less gooey since it is a heartier stuffing.

Shelli:party:

asp123us 06-06-2005 04:40 PM

Hello,

Catching up on the posts. More to go! Will be checking for recipies you ladies have posted.

Had fish fillets, carrots, and mashed pot. and gravy for dinner tonight.

Need to plan more ahead. Had company all last week and did well with keeping to a menu.

Have a great day/evening/night everyone!

Andrea

:sparkle:

RobertaD 06-06-2005 06:29 PM

For lunch I made BBQ ham sandwiches with baked beans. Have enough for 2-3 more sandwiches. Made a stew with the leftover beef roast, onions, potatoes, & carrots. Have 1 serving left. Will eat leftovers for lunch Tuesday and have brats & fries for dinner.

Roberta

bensmom526 06-06-2005 06:31 PM

dinner..

My sweet & sour chicken was pretty good...

only problem was that i should have used pineapples packed in syrup...i had juice packed so the sauce wasnt as tangy..

oh well live and learn =0)

hope everyone had a great dinner..
Im going to sneek a piece of Entenmanns
Tres Leche cake...mmm....oh those delicias latinas
cakes are going to be the death of me...

nancy:angel:

DeBora4BobbyL 06-07-2005 04:48 AM

I have a procedure this afternoon in Roswell. If I feel up to it, I will be starving so DH will take me out to eat. I haven't decided where to go. The big city has a vast amount of restaurants to eat at.