FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What's For Dinner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/)
-   -   What's for Dinner? June 2005 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/14583-whats-dinner-june-2005-a.html)

bensmom526 06-01-2005 08:55 AM

what's hummingbird cake

stellajean66
Did I miss it..what's hummingbird cake?
sounds interesting....

:confus:

stellajean66 06-01-2005 10:04 AM

Here is the recipe again for the Hummingbird Cake. It is a BIG HIT in our house..................

Hummingbird Cake

Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, well beaten
2 cups chopped banana(3 bananas)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Glaze

1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1 cup sifted powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 325 and generously grease a bundt pan.
2. To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
3. Remove 3 tablespoons of the juice from the can of pineapple. Set aside for the glaze.
4. Add the pineapple, oil, eggs, bananas, nuts and vanilla to the flour mixture. Stir until just blended (Do Not Beat)
5. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack and remove the cake from the pan. Cool completely.
6. To make the glaze: In a small mixing bowl, combine the melted butter and the powdered sugar. Add enough of the reserved pineapple juice to make a glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cake. And serve.

RobertaD 06-01-2005 10:42 AM

I have some chicken breast thawing so will open either a noodle or rice box when we get home this evening for a quick dinner. Will probably have brussel sprouts for veggie.

Roberta

barbszy 06-01-2005 12:13 PM

:coffees: Nancy, all I can say is, that had better be one GOOD cup of coffee at the prices Ben charges. Though for New York City, he might be right in line ROFLMAO
Speaking of New York, I have been wanting a good Black & White cookie....tried a recipe this weekend and it just wasn't quite "it" so if anyone has a recipe they'd like to throw my way, I'm looking for a good one! I passed the whole batch along to my neighbors for their little girl. The cookies were fine to eat, just not the thing I was looking for :rolleyes: I will keep trying till I get it right!

Tonight's dinner will be balsamic chicken with thyme, jasmine rice, green beans for the kids & DH and brussels sprouts for me, and honey-wheat bread.

sharona 06-01-2005 12:32 PM

Nancy, the price might seem high, but where else can you get such a cute waiter?

It's cool and rainy, so I have lentil soup going. I'll probably make some garlic toast. We have way too many sweet things to eat around here right now, so no cake baking here tonight. LOL

melly 06-01-2005 04:02 PM

For dinner tonight we are having leftovers and whatever you find in the pantry/freezer. Something easy for me.

Have a nice night everyone.

Melly:worm: :worm:

asp123us 06-02-2005 05:05 AM

A bit behind, but now here.

Andrea

:sparkle:

barbszy 06-02-2005 05:40 AM

Last night we ended up going out for pizza on our way to our school's fundraiser night at Barnes & Noble.
We'll have the balsamic chicken tonight.

Pag36 06-02-2005 05:54 AM

Good morning friends. last nite we had soft taco's per Steven's request. Tonite will do my nice head of cabbage, both yellow crookneck and zucchini squash sauteed with onion (gotta have my onion) and I think a meat loaf made with BOTH hamburger and ground chicken not sure at this point and will have something starchy not sure what yet.

Happy cooking/eating all

jjoj 06-02-2005 06:26 AM

Good morning! Dinner tonight is going to be tri-colored lasagna and a big salad. Take care!