FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   What's For Dinner (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/)
-   -   What's for Dinner? June 2005 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/what-s-dinner/14583-whats-dinner-june-2005-a.html)

Pag36 06-24-2005 03:36 PM

I would be lost too if they quit running the Amtrak. I even don't mind waiting in a car while a box car train goes by. Others don't share my feeling there for sure lol. And that is how I am getting to my reunion IF!!

Tonite is very simple grilled cheese sandwichs done in my sandwich maker. And ice cream for me popsicles for the boys later. The ice cream is low fat one and I will not eat much I promise ;)

STTAAR 06-24-2005 03:39 PM

Hello,

When my kids kids want something sweet I used to make just strawberries and cream. Recently I had bought some nectarines that were NOT so sweet and the kids did not like them.

I cleaned, hulled and diced strawberries. I separated about a fourth of my strawberries and mash them with sugar and (your choice of) cream/milk/or evaporated milk then mix them back in with the rest of the strawberries. Peel and dice the nectarines and add to the strawberry mixture. The kids and DH LOVED it.

barbszy 06-24-2005 03:50 PM

Patti, you ARE coming to the reunion!! :wigg: I can't wait to get the chance to meet you "in person!"

Nancy & Omar, Happy Anniversary and many happy, healthy years to you both!

Tonight for dinner we had Taco Hell. DH did some caulking in the kitchen along the backsplash, and around the sink. So the sink can't be used for 24 hours (lunchtime tomorrow). What a shame. I can't wash dishes until noon tomorrow. I sure am broken up about that :lol:

DD and I took the opportunity (we had EVERYTHING off the countertops) to rearrange the countertop stuff a bit. I still have way too much on there, but there's nowhere else to put it!

jjoj 06-24-2005 04:12 PM

Catlover, oh, wow, you're kidding! I can believe it, though-it is very dry right now. Our front porch is a cistern. We just had water delivered on Wednesday, so I'll make sure to be extra careful. Thanks for telling me. Hopefully, it will rain soon.
Barbszy, I don't think I want any of that! Hope you are all okay. lol ;) Have a nice evening, everyone!

trekmom 06-24-2005 04:23 PM

SIL bought pizza hut tonight, got some for my parents too--he's so nice when he's got OT in his paycheck....LOL

Happy Anniversary Bensmom!!:party:

:baby: Mamahen-congratulations on the new grandson!!

snowmoonelk 06-24-2005 05:05 PM

:wigg: Hello to you all, and happy anniversary Bensmom.

We have been having some drastic weather her in the UK, although, where I am, we have been very lucky in that it has been cool and overcast (VERY different from yesterday, which was a heatwave!). Some parts of the country have been hit by mini tornados, struck by lightning (with houses set on fire!) and deluged with a month's worth of water in just a few hours.

Tonight I had to work, so a nice ham and tomato sandwich on wholemeal bread for me and burgers and beans for the children. Bless 'em!

asp123us 06-24-2005 05:14 PM

Hello everyone!

We had leftover chicken pot pie, sandwiches, and anything that was left for the last few days. I packed my lunch from baked potatoes, chicken, and pork and beans. A little chicken from last night's prep is left. I will use it on Sat. for a meal. I will cook up ground beef for use later so it doesn't go bad. I plan on eating at home all weekend, all meals. We have the stuff, just need to make it.::-)::

Have a great day everyone!

Andrea

:sparkle:

kcqueenm 06-24-2005 05:23 PM

Left-over fried chicken and a ear of corn for me it's too hot for anything else

beckanoah 06-24-2005 06:03 PM

We ended up having BLT's and mashed potato cakes instead of the other meal I typed out. I like this forum, but now you can only edit your post right after you make it, if you haven't typed another post.

:wigg:

kcqueenm 06-24-2005 06:07 PM

That was an excellent idea no muss no fuss!:tong:

Sueanne 06-24-2005 06:21 PM

Like to make fish on friday. Pollock fillet is our favorite. Coat it with egg & breadcrumbs. Coat it first with cornstarch so it does not absorb any oil. Cook it covered so it steams it at the same time. Also had a microwave baked potato and a salad with romaine & regular lettuce. The tomatoes from the garden & peppers gave it a good taste. Also made some sauteed red peppers.

Amanda 06-24-2005 06:44 PM

Tonight I made Garlic Lemon Chicken. It was awesome! I will type the recipe later, it was NOT the one we were talking about earlier, the Lemon Onion Chicken. I will make that another day!

dinsky 06-24-2005 07:46 PM

[QUOTE=cat lover]
Going to make a banana cake for dessert with caramel icing. Will have to wait till late tonight though, don't want to turn the oven on with this kind of heat. [/QUOTE]

Wow! Talk about childhood memories. Mama used to wait until late and make banana cake with caramel icing during the summer. It was so good. I have never been able to duplicate it. We had a/c but rarely used it. My parents grew up in souther Arkansas and never had it. We always kept the windows open. I remember running around to shut them when storms came to keep the rain out...and the sticks that held them up.

Our seasoned crock pot roast came out great. I ended up doing smashed/mashed baby red skin potatoes with garlic pepper, green beans and peaches. Jamie was on a roll and we never made it to the market. I'll go early in the morning.

I am off to search the thread for a recipe for grilled green beans...I am going to try to get some fresh ones tomorrow.

Later.

Debbie

:walk:

fishyjags 06-24-2005 09:13 PM

Hello everyone :) I haven't had a chance to post here, but have been able to read thru some posts. I love this forum!! I LOVE trying new recipes. Reading what others are or have had to eat gives me new ideas for different things. I have really been in a rut of being tired of the same ole, same ole!! For supper tonight we went out for Chinese, but this week alone I have tried 3 new things, or at least things I have never cooked myself. For the first time I made creamed peas and that was a big hit!! I also made some corn fritters from a recipe from here.....thank you!!!!! And I also made steamed asparagus. I know, not hard at all, but I am the only one here that had ever had asparagus before, so I never bought and cooked it for just me.....but it was a big hit also ::-):: I am hoping to get on here daily to post also, so I am looking forward to getting to know you. Oh, and Trainlady......my mom doesn't have near the miles as you on the trains, but that is her preference to travel also....she loves the trains :)
Susie

barbszy 06-25-2005 05:43 AM

Hi fishyjags! I'm glad you are enjoying this forum. This is the first spot that drew me to Family Corner and I really do like this one. I have found so many good recipes here that my family enjoys.

The plan tonight is enchiladas (with leftover pot roast). Green salad on the side.

DeBora4BobbyL 06-25-2005 05:48 AM

Happy anniversary Nancy!

Welcome Fishyjags!

Well, we WERE going to have Texas brisket, because I am still homesick, potato salad, and pinto beans, but something has come up...

Our daughter called about 30-45 minutes ago. She said that she is bleeding and having contractions. (We just got back from celebrating her birthday yesterday. Her due date is July 10th.) Anyway, DH is hooking up the RV and I just finished packing up. It's about 7:40 AM our time. So, I'm grabbing me something to eat and then will wake up GD. THen, we're headed out. As soon as I can get to the Internet, I'll let everyone know what is going on. Looks like we're having us a GS!^^

So, I packed up the pinto beans in the shower of our 5th wheel. I hope it travels well! I widh DH would hurry up, I am terribly anxious!

cat lover 06-25-2005 06:19 AM

[QUOTE=trainlady

Catlover, "Banana cake with caramel icing?"
What time can I come over for dessert?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dinner tonight is burgers on the grill, green salad ..............and then we'll be heading over to catlover's for some cake!!!!!!!!!!

hugs,train:wigg: :wigg:[/QUOTE]

Well, I live in Indaina; Taswell, Indiana so come on over, but I don't think there will be much cake left; hubby even ate some for breakfast! But here's the recipe; it is good. This came from the Cake Doctor Cookbook

1 pkg. (18.25 oz) plain yellow cake mix
1/2 cup pascked light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 medium size ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 1 cup)
1 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs(I used 6 egg whites)
2 tsp creme de banane liqueur, opt (I didn't use)
Caramel Frosting
1 cup chopped pecans

Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 9" round cake pans and dust with flour. Shake out excess and set aside. Place cake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon in mixing bowl. Add mashed banana, water, oil, eggs, and creme de banane liqueuer (if using). Blend with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape sides. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping sides if needed. The batter should look well blended and the bananas should be well pureed. Divide batter between the pans and place pans in oven side by side. Bake cake till they are lightly browned and a toothpick tests clean, about 30 to 32 minutes. Remove pans from oven and place on racks to cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge and invert onto a rack and invert onto another rack so they are right side up. Allow to cool 30 minutes or more. Prepare the frosting and when cakes are cool transfer one layer to serving dish. Frost top with warm frosting, the frosting will cool quick so work fast! Place second layer on top of first and frost top and sides and while frosting is still warm sprinkle pecans on top of cake so they cling to the warm frosting. Let cake cool at least 1 hour for easier serving. Store at room temp for up to 1 week (if it lasts that long!)

Caramel Frosting

8 tbsp butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups comnfectioner's sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
place butter and brown sugars in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook till mixtrure comes to a boil, about 2 minutes. Add milk, stir and bring the mixture back to a boil then remove pan from the heat. Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla. beat with a wooden spoon till frosting is smooth. Use immediately while still warm or the frosting will harden. It it does harden whuile you are frosting the cake place the pan back over low heat and stir till it softens.

Enjoy!
:tong:

Amanda 06-25-2005 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FamilyCorner
Tonight I made Garlic Lemon Chicken. It was awesome! I will type the recipe later, it was NOT the one we were talking about earlier, the Lemon Onion Chicken. I will make that another day!

Ok here it is. This came from a cookbook called Sunday Suppers, I bought it from the Avon catalog:

Lemon Garlic Chicken & Rice

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 tsp paprika
salt & pepper (optional)
2 tbsp margarine or butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg Rice-A-Roni chicken flavor
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup chopped red or green bell pepper (I didn't include this)
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel

Sprinkle chicken with paprika, salt and pepper.

In a large skillet, melt margarine over medium-high heat. Add chicken and garlic; cook 2 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from skillet; set aside, reserving drippings. Keep warm.

In same skillet, saute rice-vermicelli mix in reserved drippings over medium heat until vermicelli is golden brown. Stir in 2 1/4 cups water, lemon juice and seasoning packet from Rice-A-Roni. Top rice with chicken; bring to a boil over high heat.

Cover, reduce heat. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in red pepper and lemon peel.

Cover; continue to simmer 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink inside.

Makes 4 servings

MY NOTES:

First of all, I used 2 chicken breasts, each one cut in half, so not even as big as they recommend and I ended up having to microwave the chicken pieces for 8 minutes more since the rice finished and the chicken wasn't cooked all the way. So I recommend pounded the chicken breast a bit to flatten them more so they will cook faster.

This has a really good lemony flavor. I loved it!

Next time I am trying the other recipe that was posted here, Lemon Onion Chicken, I have that printed out :)

fishyjags 06-25-2005 09:14 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome! We are eating out tonight!! The boys are going to Grandma's for the whole night :-D We decided we wanted to try something new, and I have never been to IHOP before, so that is what we are having for supper. Sunday is a family reunion......I know I am making BBQ'd Smokies, but haven't decided what else to make. I suppose I should get in gear so I can get it done today. Better go put my thinking cap on.....have a GREAT weekend all :wave2:
Susie

Pag36 06-25-2005 09:23 AM

Dinner tonite I think will be cook out not sure tho'. Adam's girl friend and possibly her younger brother (Steven's age) will be over tomorrow if all goes well. NOT sure what that will be for dinner if they are here. Maybe my ever faithful Spaghetti time will tell.

Happy cooking/grilling/eating everyone

Candy 06-25-2005 12:42 PM

Hi all,:wave2: Last nites supper was 98% ff virgina style baked ham,chopped up and made into bbq.:clapp: Also had corn on the cob and strawberry shortcake for dessert.
Tonite is hamburgers,parsley tators and salad. BTW I love :heart: banana cake!

Nancy and dh Happy Aniversary!:party:

Welcome Fishyjags!:heart:

Train, I am trying to eat healthy and I love blueberries so hey it works!:cool: Cool beans!

melly 06-25-2005 12:51 PM

Welcome fishyjags. :wave2: This is wonder site with some yummy recipes. Enjoy.

For dinner tonight we will be grilling hamburgers and making french fries. Have a nice night everyone.

Melly:bouncer:

barbszy 06-25-2005 01:05 PM

Amanda, that chicken recipe sounds good. Bet it would work just fine with chicken tenders or "chunks." This way no extra cooking time would be needed.

I'm in no mood to roll up enchiladas tonight so I'm just going to steam the pot roast over beef broth, then serve it with brown gravy & onions over noodles. Green beans on the side.

jjoj 06-25-2005 01:47 PM

Hi, I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend! For supper tonight, I marinated chicken for grilling and made brocolli with a cheese sauce to go with. Oh, and a salad. Take care!

cat lover 06-25-2005 03:21 PM

Tonight's supper is going to be a recipe I found in Quick Cooking; it is quick and tasty!

Colorful Kielbasa

1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp margarine
1 lb. turkey kielbasa or fat free polish sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen peas
1 jar (4 1/2 oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
In a skillet, combine soup, water and margarine; bringto a boil. Add kielbasa and rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or till rice is almost done. Stir in peas and mushrooms. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or till rice is tender and peas are heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand till melted. 4-6 servings.

Will fix some steamed veggies from the garden to go along with this.

:catdrink:

asp123us 06-25-2005 04:02 PM

Well, Dh did not want me to cook tonight! I slept in a/c all day and he and the kids were out and about for awhile in the 90 degree heat/humidity.

Take out pizza....Taco pizza, hamburger pizza, cinnamon monkey bread, cheese garlic bread sticks.. Yes, it is from Godfather's. It is cheaper there than from Zeno's which is a local family owned/operated company that is really good with a high price to match.

:wigg: Welcome, fishyjags!

I will take time this next week to go back over the recipes posted recently. Some sound like what my famliy may actually eat.:daisy:

Oh, for those in hot and dry areas, be thankful! We are in hot and humid with a flood watch because of soooo much rain last night and more tonight!

Andrea

cat lover 06-25-2005 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asp123us

Oh, for those in hot and dry areas, be thankful! We are in hot and humid with a flood watch because of soooo much rain last night and more tonight!

Andrea

I know how you feel! We have flash flooding around here all the time and when we get it our road washes out! So if we are out we can't get home or if we are home we can't get out. The county does a good job of getting us back together though; and I've always been home when it happens. Think I would freak it I ever happened to NOT be home! So many animals that need to be fed.

We got 15 more chickens today so that brings us up to 49! Dogs, cats, and the strays keep showing up; I may have to take down my "strays are welcome here" sign! ROFLMAO

Off to finally fix the kielbasa dish for supper!
:cat:

cat lover 06-26-2005 06:35 AM

DeBora, I found this tomato pie recipe on about.com. Know you said you were looking for a non sweet pie; this is one although it uses ripe tomatoes rather than green ones. Maybe you could play around with this one and come up with what you want.

Dinah Shore's Tomato pie

Pastry for a 1-crust 9-inch pie, unbaked
evaporated milk
4 cups sliced firm ripe tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1 large clove garlic, smashed and minced

Line pie plate with pastry; flute edges and brush shell with evaporated milk. Bake at 450 for 5 minutes. Fill the baked pie shell with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and basil. Combine mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, and minced garlic; spread over the layer of tomatoes.

Haven't decide on supper yet tonight. Going to look through some new recipes I haven't tried yet and come up with something from them. If it turns out I'll let you know.

asp123us 06-26-2005 06:49 AM

I am looking for a homemade spaghetti sauce. I have a homemade pizza sauce. What different spices could I have in the spaghetti versus the pizza sauce? The sauce I make has basil, oregano, garlic, onion powder, salt, sugar. Any and all suggestions welcome! My dh wants a different taste for the different foods. What about lasagna sauce spices?

Well, ladies, let the suggestions come forth!

Dh and ds are leaving at 11:30 am for Boy Scout camp. Dh will return Monday by 12noon.

Not sure what we will have for supper, just the two of us...dd and myself!:)

Andrea

cat lover 06-26-2005 07:03 AM

asp123us, here is my homemade spaghetti sauce recipe, I use it in my lasagna also!

1/2 lb. low fat or fat free smoked turkey sausage (like polish sausage)
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cans (15 oz each) tomato sauce
2 cans(12 oz each) tomato paste
2 envelopes (1 1/2 oz each) Italian style spaghetti sauce mix with mushrooms
3 cups water
2 packets sweet n low OR sugar equal to 1 tbsp.
1 tsp oregano leaves
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 bay leaf, crumbled

Put smoked sausage,onion,green pepper,and mushrooms into 6 qt crockpot. Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook on HIGH 1 hour, then LOW for 5-6 hours. OR cook in pot on stovetop simmering and stirring occcasionally for 1 1/2 hours. Serve over spaghetti. You can also add some crushed hot peppers if you desire

Enjoy!!

asp123us 06-26-2005 07:29 AM

Thanks, cat lover!

I see the spices are a little different. I will try this. Dh thinks I am crazy trying to make things from scratch!

Thanks,

Andrea

Amanda 06-26-2005 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asp123us
I am looking for a homemade spaghetti sauce. I have a homemade pizza sauce. What different spices could I have in the spaghetti versus the pizza sauce? The sauce I make has basil, oregano, garlic, onion powder, salt, sugar. Any and all suggestions welcome! My dh wants a different taste for the different foods. What about lasagna sauce spices?

Well mine is not extravagant, but everyone seems to love it:

Spaghetti Sauce

15 oz can tomato sauce
12 oz can tomato paste (plus 3 cans of water from this can)
dried basil (1 tbsp or to taste)
garlic salt (1 tsp or to taste)
pepper (to taste)
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp parmasan cheese (optional)

that's pretty much it :confus:

My lasagna sauce is the same, but the italian sausage and the ground beef add a different flavor to it.

jjoj 06-26-2005 07:49 AM

Ooh, catlover, that tomato pie recipe sounds so yummy!:-P:: I am definitely going to try that out. There have been a lot of great recipes in the last few days! Dinner for this evening is going to be chef salad and corn muffins. Something light and easy. Take care and Happy Sunday to you all!

Pag36 06-26-2005 08:28 AM

Good morning all, hope it is bright and pretty where you are here it is gloomy/rainy :bawl: . I know we needed some rain but I wish it would just rain at nite LOL. Don't always get my wish tho'.

The 'sketti sauce recipe sounds good to me. Just printed it out. May do that tonite not sure yet.

Happy Sunday all and Happy Cooking/Eating God bless

Amanda 06-26-2005 09:14 AM

We are just having Sloppy Joes tonight as we are having TJ's birthday party at the pool this afternoon. So something easy is definitely a must LOL

cat lover 06-26-2005 09:26 AM

Went ahead and made another Banana cake with caramel icing for dessert tonight before it got too hot to use the oven. Decided on either BOCA burgers, or turkey burgers for supper tonight probably cooked on the george foreman. Will have baked potatoes cooked in the small convection oven and corn on the cob that I have in the freezer from my last bargin of 10 cents an ear! Fairly quick and easy tonight!

87 degrees out right now so the day is starting to heat up! Thank goodness for shade trees and fans!

:lol:

melly 06-26-2005 09:27 AM

For dinner tonight we will be having spaghetti with meatballs. Something easy and everyone likes it.

Have a nice day everyone.---Mel

RobertaD 06-26-2005 10:06 AM

Pizza sauce

Pizza Hut Sauce

1 15 ounce can tomato sauce

1/4 tsp. dried oregano

1/4 tsp. dried basil leaves

1/4 tsp. dried thyme

1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1/4 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

1 bay leaf

1/2 tsp. lemon juice

dash of onion powder

1/2 Tbs. sugar

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Heat the sauce until it starts to bubble, then turn the heat down and simmer, covered for 30 to 60 minutes, until it reaches the thickness you desire. When the sauce is cooled store in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container until required.

Roberta

asp123us 06-26-2005 10:25 AM

Thank you, Amanda & Roberta,

Each recipe has different spices/ingredients. I will try each until dh is happy that it does not all taste the same.:-D

Thank you,

Still wondering what to make for the 2 of us. There is plenty in the pantry!

I need some sleep. The "boys" just left about 45 minutes ago. I am waiting for a call that they arrived safely. They are stopping for lunch on the way. They should still be there within 1.5 hours.

Have a great a day!

Andrea

boggsZ 06-26-2005 11:03 AM

Hi everyone I want to make zuchene bread i know that not spelled right but any way i want to make it as low fat low cal as possible do any of you have a recipe for one low fat low cal.

cooked on the grill today quick and easy