Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

What's For Dinner A thread that became so big it needed its own forum! ;)

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy New Year everybody! Tonight dinner was one-dish and easy because we were planning to be parked in front of the football game. We had Chicken Lo Mein that was really pretty darned good for the first try. Every year for the last three years my DH's dad and his wife have put together a collection of their 'tried-and-true' recipes to give us with our other Christmas presents. That's where I got this recipe.

Chicken Lo Mein

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...threadid=14124

While I'm in here, does anybody have any good recipes for smoked sausage? I have six pounds of Eckrich beef sausage I got on sale at the store in my freezer. I usually make jambalaya or bbq sandwiches and I'd welcome any additional ideas.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Jambalaya

I just ran one of my Alphabet Soup Newsletters and the letter we are on is "J"...the bulk of the Newsletter was about Jambalaya, recipes included (one from Emeril too!), take a look:

http://www.momsmenu.com/newsletter/abc_j.shtml

~ Cindy
Old 01-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

OOOOOOOOOOOO--so many yummy looking recipes have popped up since I last logged on!! Which to try first?

I love jambalaya. When I was in college I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Louisiana (Thibodeaux) at a student conference, and the dining hall had Cajun food at every meal. It was great!!! My family isn't into the spicy stuff, though. Maybe I'll see if I can make a small batch and freeze it, and then I can have it for lunches anytime I want.

Used my Christmas money to buy *another* roaster....Amazon had the 6-qt roasters on sale at a great price and free shipping and it arrived yesterday. So today I will be taking it on its maiden voyage--slow cooking a pot roast, with mushrooms and onions. I'll serve it over Luke's favorite, "woodles."

Tomorrow I will be cooking a turkey with stuffing. We'll have it for dinner and all the rest will be sliced up to serve at the kids' birthday party on Saturday. Turkey is great in a buffet; all you have to do is put some chicken broth in the bottom of the buffet pan to keep the meat moist. We're also having meatballs and baked ziti. I cooked the meatballs yesterday and will make the sauce tomorrow.

I have to get started on some of the turkey stuff today....first I will wash and brine the turkey. Luckily Mother Nature is cooperating; it's going to be around 40 degrees for the next day or so, which means that the turkey in its brine bucket will be just fine on the back porch. Then I have to open up 2 loaves of bread and set them on racks to get stale so I can make stuffing.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning everyone! Hmm-I think I should have had breakfast before I got on here. Everything sounds just delicious! For dinner, we are having grilled chicken with yellow rice and vegetables. For dessert I am making peanut butter cookies. Catlover, I am glad that you are stocked up. That was very good planning. Hopefully, it will stop raining soon. Take care and I hope you all have a great day!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Catlover, have you started building an ark in your barn yet???
Seriously, I hope that your crazy weather stops soon & that you are all safe & healthy there
Old 01-05-2005, 07:13 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Barb,
Love turkey dinners yum! Please wish Steven a happy birthday from my family and me!
Tonight our dinner is chicken stir fry! I buy the big frozen bag of stir fry veggies at Costco it makes the perfect combo, and I dont have to purchase a ton of veggies that need cutting up! Works for me!
Leighann
Old 01-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks, Lee! His birthday isn't actually until the 15th but we are so far from family, and the Big Kids' birthdays are less than 3 weeks apart (Joanna is Dec. 27) so rather than have them here twice and hear about how hard it is for them to drive here, we do one party "in the middle."

Should be interesting to see what that one wants for his birthday dinner! He has already said he wants an ice cream cake from Friendly's. I told him I'd get it for his actual birthday, not for the family party when I am feeding 25! That would be one expensive dessert!

Abear, I hope you have evicted that Bad Dinner Fairy once and for all!!! Tell her to stay FAR away from all of us!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Nine Year Member

Hi everyone..........

Hope everyone is doing good in their neck of the woods..............pretty quiet here. And warm..................79 degrees right now..................thank goodness for AC!!!!!!!!! LOL

Leigh, those sandwiches sound delicious!!! I will have to try them for my next get together!!! Thanks for the recipe.

Dinner tonight is baked chicken, creamy garlic noodles (Lipton) and spinach, and I believe I am going to make a batch of cookies for dessert..............we will probably have them when we are watching Lost tonight..................missed that darn show the past couple of weeks while they were running reruns!!! LOL

Well have a good evening!!!

-John Wooden

Connie

Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Last night we were suppose to have pork steaks, well DH came home and all he wanted was a salad. So the pork steaks are now on for tonight.

Melly
Old 01-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Everyone.......

I am making a big pot of chicken soup for dinner tonight since our weather has turned nasty again The boys will probably want toasted cheese sandwiches with there soup and dh will probably have a blt. Going to make a pan of brownies and they can have those for desert.

I hope that everyone is having a good day!

Mom to 2 precious soccer bums!

Closed Thread