Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:34 PM

What's a 5 in 1 pear tree? Is it 5 different kinds of pears on one tree?

Dh says I've got bunches of cherries on my tree this year... I haven't been that far in the back yard to look... must do that tonight since we've had sunshine all day after cold miserable rain yesterday.

Frugal Tonight: mixed veggies with pasta along with fresh frozen perch.

Anna
Old 05-03-2004, 01:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I was thinking about trying to make some salsa! It wouldn't be too hard to chop those tomatoes and mix with other ingredients. I'll probably get a container of salsa the same size as the tomato container I have now.
Then we'll have to have another party so we can eat it up!
Old 05-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Salsa is a good idea! I did that last year w/leftover tomatos. Then froze it.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Barbzy--another tomato idea if you have a dehydrator and ALOT of tomatoes left: chunk them up (not thin sliced) and dehydrate. I use them by rehydrating in a little water/olive oil mixture that I nuke a little, then drain and use in hot pasta--especially with pesto. They're really sweet and delicious that way. If you don't have a dehydrator--you could put them in the oven on about 200 d. for most of a day. They will be totally dry when done. I store in ziplock baggies.

Honey-do lists: My honey has really gotten a "bug" lately: I asked to have 2 end tables and a coffee table made for the family room (with my "new to you" sofa) and he went to get the wood for it tonight!!! Yippee! I also slipped in a request for a night stand to match the nice one he made on his side and my pantry--and he's getting on that too!!! I'm afraid of what the wood will cost, but it still has to be cheaper than commercial. Plus I LOVE having furniture that he has made himself. Someday my kids can inherit it, too.

Need to get to t-ball--have a good night all.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Today I ate for free all day! A convention started today and I am on the Board. Today we had a golf scramble for which I volunteered. When I got there after dropping DS off at school, they had juice and donuts. I worked the 3rd hole, marking who was closest to the hole (or if we had any hole in ones, a free car). They brought drinks for us, I only had water and a lunch, which was huge. A half a sub sandwich, 2 pieces of chicken, a small potatoe salad, chips, 2 cookies and an apple. Needless to say I could not eat it all and brought the remainder home when I picked up the kids. Will use it for a kid's lunch tomorrow. Then headed to hotel where we had a free hospitality room and then a prime rib dinner. The unfrugal things was the gang did request McDonalds for dinner but that was only 6.36 for the three of them.

OSI, I did received the package of soap and smells heavenly. They did not cancel any of the stamps!

Sure hope everything is allright with Leasmom as she was not leaving for TN yet and would not think she would pack up the computer without saying Goodbye!

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 05-04-2004, 03:27 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My honey-do list just became more complicated and I hope it will be frugal ..if I can do it myself

I have had a foul smell near my sink for the last few days and kept changing the sponge and dish rag..today (at 4:30 am my mind must have been clearer than during the other days). I discovered that I have a drain pipe that has come apart..so I will attempt to get down there (not to easy for this awkward ole soul) and see if I can reconnect it..if not will have to call a plumber..and that is where the unfrugal part will come in.
Need to get out my fan also and position it in front of the open cabinet door to dry out the floor..I think these floors must be made of cork or pressed wood..cause they disintegrate when
they get wet..

so yet another "pang of widowhood"...

Old 05-04-2004, 05:33 AM

jrztomato-

sorry to hear your having plumbing problems and hope you can fix it without the plumber.. they are so expensive. That unfortunately is one of the pitfalls of home ownership... seems like we always have one house disaster or another, thank goodness dh has learned how to fix most of them.

Redcardinal-

You are crowned "frugal queen" of Monday! Way to go on getting all the free meals and sounds like you had fun too. Oh glad to hear you got the soap o.k. will be sending out more today... kept forgetting to get the boxes to mail them in.

Oh and LoriMae-

I also got your pattern yesterday for making the loom potholders. Thanks so much.

Anna
Old 05-04-2004, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hope to pick up a few items today with coupons + mail-in rebates--also have a couple coupons for free items I need to pick up.

Hope to also get a coupon haircut.

Groceries are the unfrugal part--even ALDIS seems to be going up.

Gas here is now 1.92/gal. It cost $37 to fill up the pickup the other day. Sigh.

Does anyone have any frugal easy recipes for a Snakmaster sandwich machine? My kids love the way it makes sandwiches--and it's an easy way to make grilled cheese/ham & cheese etc. without heating up the stove. But I'm limited in my creativity with it. It seems that there should be more ways to use it--would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks--have a great Tuesday!

rivermom
Old 05-04-2004, 06:09 AM

Oh Rivermom I wish I could remember all the recipes we came up with on here last year for the sandwich maker. One thing that comes to mind is pizza fillers. Regular bread toasted, line inside with pizza sauce (or spaghetti sauce) shredded cheese and pepperoni and bake.

Anna
Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

There were no sales at the store and the prices have all gone up. Last week milk was 2.09 now it is 3.59. I was amazed. Gas is hovering at 1.99 a gallon. So it is 30.00 a week for DH to fill up to go back and forth to work and school. Even more to fill my van.

We went to look at a house yesterday. 5 bedrooms and two baths. And a huge bonus room. DH fell for the house the moment he walk into it. It has a huge laundry room and storage closets every where. I just don't know. I mean it is a very nice house. I guess I am just not in the mood for all that stuff right now.

Rivermom here is one of my kids favortie sandwich maker recipes. Now don't laugh.

SPAGHETTI SANDWICH
4 slices of bread
2/4 cup leftover spaghetti- divided
1/3 cup grated cheese- divided

Assembly and cook. They love these things. And it uses up leftovers. I've even sent them to school for lunch. How about leftover taco filling and cheese.

Emmalee

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Closed Thread