Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the Lunchbox link

Yes, please change the subject on it. I would love to know what everyone is making for their kids. I just posted on there the ideals that I found. I would like it like the whats for dinner thread.

Well, today...frugal thing is trying out the Bread Pudding recipe or the Rice Pudding recipe.

Going to make dinner ahead of time. Staying home and doing nothing...that's frugal and good on gas. I have to take dd to the doctor at 7 p.m. tomorrow-can you believe it? Dd is Bipolar, so she has a therapist and psychiatrist, a regular doctor and dentist...jeesh. So, her Psychiatrist appt. is at night-(strange). Friday through Monday will be very busy because of dd's upcoming birthday Labor Day. So, I should enjoy my rest while I can...

OSI, I have a Shirley Temple Video that my mother bought for dd but dd thinks its too long and boring. I used to love Shirley Temple when I was young. But, dd is more into Mary Kate and Ashley! If you want, pm me and I will send it to you. We'll discuss s and h charges too, if you want.

Last edited by leasmom; 08-27-2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:48 AM

leasmom-

Was thinking about your "bulk" buying on pineapple. What you could do is pack up some for lunch and use the rest for muffins or pineapple upside down cake. Those could be frozen and served for breakfast later or a snack for lunch for your dd instead of packed fruit. About puddings, I'm not sure if you can freeze or not, I would think so. I know you use pudding to make pudding pops. Hope this helps.

Anna

P.S. I found a good canning site, it gives directions for canning pinto beans, which I've been looking for seems like forever.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/
Old 08-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good Ideal!

Hawaiian style pizza's...cold salads with pineapples...yummy!

I found out that you can't freeze pudding and unthaw and use because it becomes watery. But, I have some homemade pudding recipes I posted on II on the last page or second to last page. It's also posted under Puddings/Custards.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

chuckle yipppeee....

you all rember that i was asking abut changeing out tax status? today was the first day it went into effect. our take home for 2 wees used to be 623. today he brought home 780!!WHOOO!!
huge diffrence. maybe i can get a bit caught up now. everything has been a bit harder. weve all been sick the past week and as a resualt, i havent done as much as i should. so im sorry for not posting. hope everyone else has a good day.

does anyone know of a thread for people with palm pilots to get organized on? i jsut got one, dh is sooo sweet!! and its a 130 toy. so i want to optimise my usage of it. tia
have a good day
ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/
Old 08-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ericka - here's one for you -

http://www.organizetips.com/

Carol

Old 08-27-2003, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I did nothing frugal today. In fact what I did do today is going to cost me even MORE money than I already spent. Darn those doctors and all their tests anyway!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 10:05 AM

Joesbaby-

I don't have a palm pilot but one of the girls here does. she uses hers to make grocery list, she has the bible stored in it, and of course, games.

leasmom-

I have several homemade mixes for pudding, it is so easy! and much,much cheaper than buying. I've adapted mine using splenda in place of sugar-works just fine and 0 calories. Oh btw, if you haven't seen it there is a great book called "Make A Mix" that has wonderful homemade bulk recipes.

Anna
Old 08-27-2003, 10:43 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Do you mind sharing a few of your recipes?

I'm soaking my pan right now but I am almost ready to try the rice pudding. Then maybe the bread pudding today... I am compiling all the recipes I can in a folder for dd so I won't have any problems this time.

The first time dd took her own lunch was because we were vegetarian for 6 months. I was buying all these vegetarian meats, etc. Dd would take her lunch to school, throw it out and eat chicken nuggets instead-LOL!!! So, that didn't last but this time I think it will as long as I fix something she really likes!
Old 08-27-2003, 11:16 AM

Vegetarian Meals

leasmom-

We do alot of vegetarian eating because of health. Boca and Morningstar have some great products and of course, I use coupons for those. Morningstar has these great "Hot Chicken Wings" they look just like wings or maybe more like nuggets. It's real hard to tell the difference when you cook in the stove. Serve with cole slaw and french fries baked in the oven. We do eat poultry and fish. Just work a little in each week. Spaghetti doesn't have to have meat in it. We use chicken breast cooked and shredded in the food processor for spaghetti and pizza. I have high blood pressure and am diabetic (type II). I've lost 30 lbs. in a year from changing my eating habits. We don't do junk food hardly at all. Pickles & cheese chunks make a good snack. Only use Mozzarella & Monterey Pepper Jack, no yellow cheeses or premixed cheese spreads. Sorry this is off the subject but being healthy is frugal, less doctor visits, less medicines save big bucks.

Anna
Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I used to love MorningStars Buffalo wings

They were good. I am low-carb right now myself. Dd though is very picky and though she liked her veggie sandwiches, having meat off limits for her was not a good thing. That's why I am definately going to make foods she likes. I even went over the list with her so she could approve and disapprove of it. Getting veggies into dd at this point has gotten really difficult. She is at that stage where she no longer likes anything green-LOL! Hopefully, it will pass.

I just threw the rice pudding in the oven and it already smells delicious. I know dd will love it. Liking rice pudding skipped a couple of generations. I remember when my Great Grandmother made us some rice pudding. We absolutely hated it and still do. But, my dd loves Kozy Shack and I just can't possible bring myself to buy the big tubs at nearly $4 a tub.

Next I will try the bread pudding. I have 9 pieces of bread though the recipe calls for 10. I have some leftover French Toast Bread-(it's store-bought bread already flavored with Egg and Spices)-and a few regular pieces. I'm hoping to be able to freeze the Bread Pudding in slices for later.

Nothing else here today that's frugal...

Oh, I've got to check out this store. It's a Mexican Store that just opened. They have Free Items if you Purchase of $25 or more.

This is the Items:

12 ct. Mission Flour Tortillas
1 Tampico Drink-(fruit drink)
1 4 oz. Can of Hatch Green Chilies
1 16 oz. Bag La Preferida Pinto Beans
1 16 oz. Jar Herdez Salsa
1 lb. Chub Ground Beef
8 Limes

or

1 Loaf of White or Wheat Bread
1 Pepsi 2 Liter
1 bag of Lays Potato Chips
1 Our Family Single Slices of Cheese, 12 oz.
1 Oscar Mayer Bologna, 16 oz.
1 Head of Iceburg Lettuce.

I go grocery shopping in a week, so I'm hitting htis store...I can't wait!!!

Last edited by leasmom; 08-27-2003 at 12:06 PM.

Closed Thread