Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-29-2019, 07:31 PM

Glad to see you all still here. Ellen.. I agree Cancer Sucks! David is doing well so far other than the hormone shots making him emotional, hot flashes that last 45 minutes or more.. I've ended up sleeping on the couch the last few weeks so he can sleep better he freezes me to death in there,keeps the door shut so it's colder. I pray for good outcomes for both your sister and sil.

I am as always trying to stay as frugal as I can on one salary coming in right now. I've had time to try some new recipes that keep us eating better health wise and not being tempted by fast food. I had a awful UTI started midnight on Sunday night by 4:30am I was very tempted to go to the emergency room except 1.. having to sit there in pain for hours while they ran all kinds of tests to make sure it was a UTI and 2. $500 to walk in the door out of pocket. We wait till my gyn office opened and made a appointment. I was so sleep deprived I didn't trust myself to drive so David took a vacation day and took me. I was peeing blood and blood clots, like I said this came up out of nowhere, never had a UTI in my life. Antibiotics and its all gone.. of course I still have 4 more days of them to take but anyways, we had to go after the gyn appt. to pick up meds and a couple things we needed.. we were tired and hungry and tempted to buy fast food but thought it out.. what do we have at home that's quick and easy? Burritos made with a can of chili for dh and I had nacho chips with cheese, refried beans and salsa.. no money spent.

3 new recipes I've tried recently: Chicken Marsala, Mexican Casserole and Cabbage Casserole.

It breaks up the monotony of eating the same things and getting bored with the food choices and buying McDonalds, etc.

Over the next few days I'll be making hummus for the first time.. I love it and it's cheaper to make it myself than paying $1.99 for a small container plus I can have it whenever I want.

Yogurt.. I've made it before but had a yogurt machine. I'll be using the crockpot this time.

I have about 25 lbs of apples gifted from a pantry so I need to make apple sauce this week probably tomorrow morning/afternoon I'll cut up all the apples and put them in the pots Monday night. David bought me a crockpot for Christmas now I have 2.

So that's about it for us.. I mentioned we got a new puppy in November after we lost Cocoa. We got her spayed last week and she's doing great. I found a low cost clinic that does low cost shots and spaying/neutering.

Hope you are all doing well.

Anna
Old 01-29-2019, 07:38 PM

Ellen

You really should Roberta, Norma and I are all three on them. Stocking Our Shelves and Pantry Ladies which has now spun off in to a different one The Women of Proverbs 31

It is for women who are Christians but not about just Christianity but home and hearth. Wonderful group.. if you ask to join let them know I sent you. Pootersmommy (Cheryl) is on that one too.

They are all like FC use to be very active and very kind.

Anna
Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 AM
Nine Year Member

I could not find Pantry Ladies when I did a search for it Anna. Can you send me the link or request to add me, please.

Pull a beef roast out of the freezer when I got up, did a quick thaw in the microwave since I didn't think about it last night and have it in the crockpot for tonight.

Opened the sink doors to allow extra heat to the pipes and left a drip going in all. I put a gallon pitcher in the kitchen used the water this morning to make coffee and fill the animals water bowls. I put a bucket in the tub, will use it to flush the toilet since there would be a chemical residue in it.

Roberta
Old 01-31-2019, 07:01 AM

Roberta

I sent and see you found it.

It is very cold here in Central Ohio. I am home had 2 crockpots going yesterday and last night with 20 plus lbs. of apples after peeling. I am making applesauce today. I drained off 4 cups of apple juice and froze it to make apple jelly at a later time.

Stay warm everyone.. sure wish Sueanne had hung on and checked back here since we seem to still be going same with Jeanette.

Anna
Old 02-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Nine Year Member

Glad we are all still here!
I did manage to find FC Front Porch but then stalled out on Pantry Ladies and the other one....is it possibpossible to pm me a screen shot or link or some info so I can tell which pantries the two you mentioned are, there are so many!

I might be in Florida again, if my friends daughter has her a baby at the same time as friends son is getting married!

Sooo cold here! Hosting a ababy shower to orrow for friends daughter, fun stuff!

UTIs can be really awful, glad the antibiotic cleared yours up Anna.

And yes I found the same about water in pancakes, fluffier! Tried Kodak mix the other day, good but no flavor, really needs some vanilla or something.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-03-2019, 07:26 AM
Nine Year Member

A hot skillet makes pancakes fluffy vs a warm one.

I added you Ellen, waiting on approval to pantry ladies.

I played the drugstore game this week and was able to get 3 medium size Crest mouthwashes and was paid to take them home.

Roberta
Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Ellen

So you have a FB page set up? StockingOurShelves is a awesome one too..

I am just back from the doctors and the store forgot paper towels the other day I don't use them much but for icky messes and cleaning out my cast iron skillet of grease which I don't want on my cloth towels or in my drain. While there I took some recycled plastic bags out of the recycle bin versus paying for small trash bags figured the cost at 12 cents a bag. I use these for doggy accidents in the house. I swear Macy as soon as she eats anything she has to go don't always catch it. She ate one slice of sweet potato this morning David and I were doing other things.. I think he was in the shower and I was in the kitchen came back in and found 2 steamy piles by the front door.. yuck.

So for Valentines Day David bought me a new pressure canner it should be there today. My old one is over 20 years old and I couldn't find a gasket for it. Its a generic brand called Matre made in Brazil. Anyways of course after he ordered the new one I found a site that sells them. I do a lot of canning though so we will still be able to use both of them.

I am glad this site is still up it's not being moderated so we are on our own.

Frugal today was saving money on the recycled bags. Dinner is cheeseburgers and squash baked in the oven with butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper.

I canned 10 half pints of jelapenos yesterday and 9 pints of green beans on Sunday. I had 10 pints but one didn't seal I don't think I tightened the lid on it when I put it in the canner.. I rarely double stack my canner but had more green beans than I thought I had so I double stacked and added jars with water to evenly distribute.

I think that's about it so far this week.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member

I made meatloaf in my cupcake pans this week so they didn't take as long to bake. Made up 6 lbs (hamburger & turkey) at $1.12 lb for the meat ($1.99 sale then I had $5.20 in coupons) as I had everything else to make it with. I will freeze the rest for quick meals (I'm going to cut up the meatloaf into chucks with spaghetti pasta tonight in the sauce with onion & bell peppers). I have a 3lb chub that I will slice into burgers, layer with cut cereal bags and freeze for later use.

I'm going to freeze what is left of the barley soup that I made the other day with the last hunk of beef roast. We have eaten on it twice so time to get frozen.

I was able to get 2 boxes of Glucerna mini treats on sale with coupon for $.19 a box with 6 bars ea. I think they will be good to keep in the car for times we need a little something till we get home and for emergency issues. Expiration date of Jan 2020 choose the flavor vs expiration date of March 2019.

I want to get a pressure canner though I'm pretty sure I will need a new stove as this one is 30 yrs old and cheaply made at the lower price end.

I also use the plastic grocery bags in the little trash cans and large store bags as kitchen trash bags when I get them.

The birthday surprises are emailing in from Lee's Chicken 2pk chicken snack, Youngs Jersey 2 scoop ice cream, JC Penny $10 off $10 purchase, Meijer's free donut, and at CVS free bottle of nail polish so far with 2 weeks yet to go.

Roberta
Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM
Nine Year Member

Anna way to go on the canning.
We also reuse bags here. I am always thinking about what I can reuse something for.
I have been cleaning the freezer out the past week It is amazing what meals I come up with with pantry items, etc. I will be working on restocking the next few weeks.
Roberta that is great on the Birthday surprised.
So glad the sit is still up and running.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 02-14-2019, 05:21 AM
Nine Year Member

Happy Valentine's Day!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills